Cardinals interested in LB D'Qwell Jackson

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't get that one unless they are just trying to use leverage against Dansby. Even then, they're really not the same type of LB.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what type of ilb is he? a thumper? Dansby is more of a coverage and blitz guy vs a minter thumper type, are there any other types of ILBs?

If hes a thumper, id rather play minter :shrug:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fits the Keim mold of a proven leader and a playmaker.

If the rumor is true it appears that Keim will leave no rock unturned and is preparing for Dansby to test the market.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
foprgot too: we still have a pending issue with Dwash so could be making sure we have at least 3 starting quality ILBS on the roster just in case.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
D'Qwell Jackson is a thumper.

Good player, but not a Karlos Dansby type player.

If the Cardinals cannot resign Dansby, I'd rather the team go with Minter and Brinkley instead of signing D'Qwell Jackson.

Edit:

foprgot too: we still have a pending issue with Dwash so could be making sure we have at least 3 starting quality ILBS on the roster just in case.

Yeah, I cannot seem to remember that. Then yes, signing D'Qwell Jackson would be a good idea, if they cannot re-sign Dansby.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they were interested even 3 years a go..i remember they tried to make a trade.
obviously is strange cause is the same type of player of minter.
maybe they already know possible landing spot for minter(trade)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it's more they know Dansby wants to get paid and will go to the highest bidder

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

a second round draft pick that has rarely touched the field is worth far more to us than to any willing trade partner.

I think it's more they know Dansby wants to get paid and will go to the highest bidder

Its between this and dwash insurance.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
When it comes to LB's, I guess we now know what's behind door #2.

Over on the AZ cards site, Arians and Keim say they will use the same FA strategy as last year. Arians baiscally says they make an offer and tell the player they are calling another player in about half hour, if he takes the deal you're out. I like the thinking but I doubt their approach is that simplistic.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's meeting with the Titans and, as we know, his former DC has landed there. Perfect guy to help implement the new system.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When it comes to LB's, I guess we now know what's behind door #2.

Over on the AZ cards site, Arians and Keim say they will use the same FA strategy as last year. Arians baiscally says they make an offer and tell the player they are calling another player in about half hour, if he takes the deal you're out. I like the thinking but I doubt their approach is that simplistic.

And that approach is fine for the Matt Shaughnesseys and Frostee Ruckers, but everything I understand is that Dansby has greater value to the franchise from both the leadership perspective and developing Daryl Washington (which was an interesting piece that Darren Urban mentioned in a blog post yesterday).

It is interesting that they might be willing to pay six figures to another free agent rather than allowing Minter to walk into the starting lineup.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont think its a coincidence that on the same day:

1. Interest in D'Quell Jackson comes out
2. Arians is quoted as saying, to effect -- if the other guy takes the deal, your deal is off the table

its a subtle message to Dansby that his offer from AZ could be withdrawn without much warning -- and that if his idea is to hang around waiting for the best offer with AZ as the sure thing fall back, then he needs to reconsider

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
And that approach is fine for the Matt Shaughnesseys and Frostee Ruckers, but everything I understand is that Dansby has greater value to the franchise from both the leadership perspective and developing Daryl Washington (which was an interesting piece that Darren Urban mentioned in a blog post yesterday).

It is interesting that they might be willing to pay six figures to another free agent rather than allowing Minter to walk into the starting lineup.
I was thinking the same thing. Something is not adding up. It's one of three things. Either KD has priced himself out of the Cards range, the Cards know of a long impending suspension for Washington, or Minter is just not that good. I can't see how they would have an ILB group consisting of Washington, Dansby, Jackson, and Minter.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Minter was a bad pick at the time. He is a depth / special team type. Isn't outstanding at anything.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who were we planning on playing at linebacker for the first four games?

If you're using draft picks to fill immediate needs, you've already lost the draft. Steve Keim taught me that.

If Minter isn't going to play linebacker for the next four games, that's a bigger problem.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you're using draft picks to fill immediate needs, you've already lost the draft. Steve Keim taught me that.

If Minter isn't going to play linebacker for the next four games, that's a bigger problem.
I'm not quite sure what your second point is but to your first, it was what it was. We had Jasper Brinkley for the first four games. We needed someone ASAP and we would probably need them for many years. Your point about the Cards looking to another FA as opposed to just playing Minter is a good one. I just don't think that drafting a ILB was a bad pick given the landscape that the Cards were dealing with at the time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minter was a bad pick at the time. He is a depth / special team type. Isn't outstanding at anything.

No at the time Minter was a good pick. Washington was suspended for the first 4 games and Dansby wasn't even in the conversation. We had nobody at inside linebacker. Minter was tremendous at LSU. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it was a good pick. Give him time to develop

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive heard nothing but the opposite...team leader, standout run stopping LB, 2 down run linebacker but great during those 2 downs.

Seems like a great skillset to put next to a guy like Dwash.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
MJ said he heard that the Cardinals offered Dansby the 2nd highest contract ever offered for ILBers in their 30s, slightly behind London Fletcher's past contract, which was 2 years @ 10.5M...which included $3.5M guaranteed in a signing bonus.

The offer is probably close to $9.5-10M for 2 years with $3-3.5M guaranteed.

Anyone think Dansby is going to get more than that elsewhere?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
MJ said he heard that the Cardinals offered Dansby the 2nd highest contract ever offered for ILBers in their 30s, slightly behind London Fletcher's past contract, which was 2 years @ 10.5M...which included $3.5M guaranteed in a signing bonus.

The offer is probably close to $9.5-10M for 2 years with $3-3.5M guaranteed.

Anyone think Dansby is going to get more than that elsewhere?
No.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No at the time Minter was a good pick. Washington was suspended for the first 4 games and Dansby wasn't even in the conversation. We had nobody at inside linebacker. Minter was tremendous at LSU. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it was a good pick. Give him time to develop

It is never a good pick if it is based solely on need. Hopefully they drafted him because he was one of the best players on the board, not just because Washington was facing suspension and we needed someone to plug in for 4 games.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
How can anyone in their right mind say something is wrong with Minter as a draft pick, really. He is a rookie that had Washington and freaking Dansby in front of him playing lights out on a pro bowl level. It is not like one has to stink it up to have two players of such a high caliber in front of you. Minter was a good pick... Washington and Dansby are great players :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn