Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the report that @Totally_Red is accurate by Rappaport that Payton canceled his 2nd interview with Denver because of his interview with AZ???? What can that mean as far as the tea leaves go?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If the report that @Totally_Red is accurate by Rappaport that Payton canceled his 2nd interview with Denver because of his interview with AZ???? What can that mean as far as the tea leaves go?
I want to get excited but we’re AZ so he is just using us to get better offers. Hope I’m wrong.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the whole article:

"It wasn’t known whether Ryans completely cancelled the interviews or simply postponed or rescheduled them, as the 49ers will be preparing the meet the Eagles next weekend in the NFC Championship Game."

Everyone knows he cancelled on Saturday, but nobody knows if he's rescheduling. To say he's "officially a no go" is premature, until something like that is confirmed. Just over the weekend everyone thought Payton was a no go, too, but look what happened today.
I've been suggesting that all along

May just be a postponement

Now that they moved on to the next round it may be the week after this coming game when he has 2 weeks

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DEN has Walmart money to throw at Payton. They don't have a first round pick so I'd imagine they throw multiple picks at NO to get Payton maybe their 1st rounder in 2024.

I would not trade #3 overall for Payton. Couldn't Payton resign as NO HC obviously giving up money left on deal and just make up the money with his contract with a new team? Is there an rule against this in NFL. I mean Bobby Petrino quit before coaching 1 game in ATL but went to college not another NFL team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
DEN has Walmart money to throw at Payton. They don't have a first round pick so I'd imagine they throw multiple picks at NO to get Payton maybe their 1st rounder in 2024.

I would not trade #3 overall for Payton. Couldn't Payton resign as NO HC obviously giving up money left on deal and just make up the money with his contract with a new team? Is there an rule against this in NFL. I mean Bobby Petrino quit before coaching 1 game in ATL but went to college not another NFL team.
They have SF's pick through Miami acquired in the Chubb trade.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Or maybe he's put off the visit with Denver because he's agreed to give them a "last look" after meeting with Arizona. Putting off the visit with Denver may not be as advantageous to AZ as it looks.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know AZ has been used as leverage in the past, but since he's going to (possibly) get 2x as much as any coach anyway, does he need to worry about squeezing a little bit extra from one of the richest families? Who was already desperate last year?

Seems they would pay whatever regardless. Almost seems Denver is the leverage, even if there is mutual interest.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
give Payton credit

perfect to get Denver all hot and bothered that they are about to close the deal only to see him defer and fly off to Arizona

no better way for a new, deep pocketed owner to get the check book out

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
give Payton credit

perfect to get Denver all hot and bothered that they are about to close the deal only to see him defer and fly off to Arizona

no better way for a new, deep pocketed owner to get the check book out
Make no mistake, Denver likes Dan Quinn, too, and he scored well yesterday.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How is a GM supposed to work with a H.C. under him who makes that much more money than he does? Tell me realistically how that relationship is expected to work.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He been there 5 minutes compared to the others and still only won 1 SB despite having the best QB in the league.

He's great, no doubt, but not 2.

Yer fuggin kidding right?
Andy Reid went to 4 straight nfc championships with donovan mcnabb.... 5 total and a lost super bowl in philly.
Philly insanely fired him for not winning a sb...so the chefs took him... the sweetest of poetic justice would be for andy reid to beat philly in the sb.
Reid is one of the best coaches in nfl history, not just right now....and he never had the goat

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder how you come up with some of your takes. (edited to be kinder)

1 - The utter disrespect to Andy Reid is appalling. 9 wins and 4 losses in the playoff since 2017. 6 seasons and 6 playoff appearances. One title and two Super Bowl appearances.

2 - Shanahan since he has been a HC (2017) is 6-2 in his 3 playoff appearances. Tomlin is 0-3 in that span and Harbaugh is 1-5. He has done it with Jimmy G and Brock Purdy. One Super Bowl appearance.

3 - Sean McVay is 7-3 in the playoff since 2017 and has gone to two Super Bowls and won one. Has made the playoffs 4 of those 6 seasons.

4 - Belichick is 5-3 in the playoffs since 2017 and has also done to two Super Bowls and won one. Also 4 appearances in those 6 seasons.

I don't know what order you go with in regards to these four but 3 of these 4 are coaches with offensive backgrounds. Tomlin and Hargaugh are very good but not in this class.

Fair play. I should have had Reid in there. Not the others though.

Shanahan has had as many bad seasons as good and McVay has been lavished with over leveraged talent and struggled as soon as he didn't.

Both very good for sure. Probably top 6. But not sure I'd put them over Carroll or Harbaugh right now, but surely will in years to come.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Everyone wants offensive coaches.

But 3 of the remaining teams have top 5 defenses and the 4th team is ranked 10th...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Payton was hired by the Cards he would not be working for GM Ossenfort. They would both report to Bidwill and Payton would get control over his roster like BA did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose