Cardinals' FA Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* Really disappointed in MJ & Jody show---they kept throwing out teasers, like "who the Cardinals could be targeting in FA now, coming up next"---then we have to sit through a 30 minute discussion of the Bruce Springsteen concert (with multiple callers)---then even Jody called the Cardinals' "FA targets" they haven't talked about a "teaser"---then all MJ said was how they missed out on all the pass rushers and had no new info or insight---always defends BA&SK to the hilt---then states over and over how the Bucs should wait another year to trade Mike Glennon, but Glennon is in the final year of his rookie contract---even the football expert they had on didn't correct him---and speaking of football experts, they get great guys on the show, but always ask them numerous Q's about Manziel and the players around the NFL and rarely get any pertinent info about the Cardinals, or focus the interviews on the Cardinals. MJ used to have good inside info---but not these days. Not sure if it's worth it to tune in anymore.

* I am feeling very frustrated about Steve Keim---in my opinion, by offering JPP only a one year deal, he was too cautious. Had he offered a 4/$60M with $30 guaranteed, he could have added the premier pass rusher the team needs. Now---cynics will say, but what about the hand? Just yesterday, JPP stated that he had a procedure to increase the range of motion in his hand and that next year he is going to be able to shun the club in favor of a glove and that he will be able to grasp with the hand. The thing is with pass rushers---you are going to have to offer big money contracts and long-term deals. It's a poor strategy to think that JPP was going to come to AZ on a one year deal.

* Adding to my current frustration about Steve Keim is that nothing has been done about Calais Campbell's contract---and---apparently nothing has been done to sign Dwight Freeney, Keim's one year "prove it" contracts have been successful (for the one year), for the most part---but when players like Chris Johnson and Dwight Freeney do prove it, how about rewarding them with a follow-up deal. Or is Keim content in just letting the one year prove it guys get paid elsewhere? In my opinion, Freeney deserves at least a $6M base plus incentives. When Cory Redding is making $4M (coming off a 5 tackle, 0 sack season), what does Freeney deserve? Honestly, I think twice that. Will Keim pay it? I worry that he's gotten so caught up in his bargain shopping habits that he won't pay Freeney. So then what? Does anyone think a rookie at #29 would outplay Dwight Freeney this year? Ready-to-go pass rushers just don't fall into one's lap.

* I am getting the sense that Keim isn't going to pay Tony Jefferson because he wants better pass coverage at the position. First of all, Tony Jefferson is one of only a rare few players on this defense who is a good, physical tackler. Last year, Jefferson made good on 90 tackles and only missed 5....which is a very good thing because the players behind Jefferson (not named Tyrann Mathieu), are sub par and sometimes unwilling tacklers---Peterson, Rashad Johnson, Powers and surprisingly so was Justin Bethel. Secondly, when watching Jefferson in coverage this year, he was making very good strides in coverage as the year went on. He had a career high 5 pass breakups, and he had two key interceptions. Plus, he really brings it on his blitzes. Jefferson was very much dismayed by the low tender, and I can't blame him. He led the Cardinals in tackles in the playoffs with 20...the next closest was Deone Bucannon with 15. He was one of the lone bright spots when the rest of the defense hit a wall. Jefferson's all-around game is still evolving and if he gets signed elsewhere, this team is going to miss him big-time.

* Now---there is no question that Steve Keim has been the best GM the Cardinals have had in Arizona. He has pulled some fabulous rabbits out of the hat (Palmer, Veldheer, Iupati, Rucker, Freeney, etc.)---and at the same time he has hit gold on 2nd to 6th round draft picks. The roster is deeper and more talented than ever before---but---overall the roster needs to continue to get more physical and productive on both sides of the ball, it needs to cash in on first round draft picks, it needs more physical, tough and fundamentally sound tacklers and it needs to reinvent the "special" in special teams, particularly in the return games.

* With all of this in mind---here is a semblance of what I am hoping for:

FA Acquisitions:

NT B.J. Raji---adding him would allow Bettch to move Rodney Gunter to 34DE where we need his youth and explosiveness.

OLB/DE Dwight Freeney---the combination of his production with his mentoring of the young rushers is a high priority.

OLB Courtney Upshaw---pairing two junkyard dogs like Golden and Upshaw on the edges in the base defense would take the romance out of the opponent's running game---we have to stop Gurley, Hyde and Rawls just within our own division. Not a great pass rusher as of yet, but Freeney could help his technique.

CB Leon Hall---his ability to cover the slot, as well as start at RCB if need be, makes him a good choice, unless Jerraud Powers lowers his price tag. I am still high on Powers, but I think Hall fits the same bill.

RB Chris Johnson---sharing the load with DJ as the starter would be a coup for the Cardinals.

TE Jared Cook---I have always liked this guy. Big, physical and fast. Never really got on track in STL, but could find his groove under BA in AZ.

RG Jahri Evans---with young players at C and RT, having a veteran all-star like Evans between them would be a boon.

Draft:

1. Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech. Strong and quick. Can push the pocket and small down the running game.

2. Matt Judon, DE, Grand Valley St. Physically gifted. High motor. Will need mentoring, but has all the tools.

3. Justin Simmons, S, Boston College. Has the versatility and length the coaches want. Can play RCB too. Solid hitter and wrap up tackler. Very good in coverage. Plays the ball well.

4. Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama. Has swag and big-play ability. Good punt returner.

5A. Jack Allen, C, Michigan St. Very under-rated just because he is a tad smaller than the average center. But, he is very physical, smart and quick to react to blitzes. I think he's the second best center in the draft behind Ryan Kelly of Alabama, who could be the Cardinals' pick at #29...Terry McDonough has been raving about Kelly, but is convinced he will be off the board before the 29th pick.

5B. Vernon Adams, QB, Oregon. Gotta love the show he put on at the East-West Shrine game. Has a very good arm, quick feet and good accuracy. BA could have fun with him as a change of pace QB and he'd give the scout team a good Russell Wilson facsimile. With all the spread offenses with 0 backfields that BA like to run, imagine if we ever have a QB who can take off to beat the pressure when need be.

6. C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame. Converted WR to RB who had good Combine and rushed for 1,032 yards and 11 TDs for the Fighting Irish this year. Good STs player.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Some very valid criticisms of Keim. But we can't be impatient yet.

1- They may let Campbell play out his contract instead of extending. That puts the onus on him to re-sign a play out his legacy here on friendly terms. Now all the pass rushers are signed off anyway. Unless they intend to throw $$ at an OL man, it's not vital to extend him.

2- Great points on Freeney, CJ and Jefferson. Keims best options seem to be in house already with maybe a splash or two (CB, OL) elsewhere. That seems to be the direction I sense. I'd like to see how Ellington responds in a contract year however. Not sure CJ is AS important as the others.

3- OL was still a priority FA signing for me heading into this period.

Didn't know there was a La. Tach? :p

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Some very valid criticisms of Keim. But we can't be impatient yet.

1- They may let Campbell play out his contract instead of extending. That puts the onus on him to re-sign a play out his legacy here on friendly terms.

2- Great points on Freeney, CJ and Jefferson. Keims best options seem to be in house already with maybe a splash or two (CB, OL) elsewhere. That seems to be the direction I sense. I'd like to see how Ellington responds in a contract year however. Not sure CJ is AS important as the others.

3- OL was still a priority FA signing for me heading into this period.

Didn't know there was a La. Tach? :p

1---Campbell at $15.2M? Coming off a sluggish post-season...very disappointing. True leadership happens on the field and he didn't provide it when it was needed the most. Obviously, he wasn't the only one---but at his salary the lack of production and leadership was costly.

2---Ellington runs scared and other teams pick up on it. The Cardinals have to get tougher all the way around and Ellington is holding the team back with his injuries and timid runs.

3---I agree with you 100%. Adding a G and RT for insurance is paramount. Oh and not Bradley Sowell, although BA loves him as a buddy. I wonder if Seattle's interest in Sowell will mean Keim will re-sign him asap.

4---Louisiana Tach is a DT factory! Thanks for BIM-ming me on that typo!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Cook? Lol, please to God no.

Dude manages to go off against us, but sucks wind against everyone else. Dude has had way too many mental errors on the field & tends to drop a lot of open passes, no matter the QB throwing to him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll also will be really depressed if Keim lets TJ walk, yet, resigns Rashad. The opposite needs to happen here.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a hard time being frustrated one week into the new business year and Keim, like other GM's, is no doubt waiting for agent demands to lower as they always do after the first few days of FA. He's cool and deliberate and I like that.

CC's salary is $9.5m. His CAP hit $15.2.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My two cents, replace the departed Sean Weatherspoon with ex-Colts linebacker Jerrell Freeman.

Reaction score

Dude manages to go off against us, but sucks wind against everyone else. Dude has had way too many mental errors on the field & tends to drop a lot of open passes, no matter the QB throwing to him.

+1 He also doesn't block very well. Pass.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll also will be really depressed if Keim lets TJ walk, yet, resigns Rashad. The opposite needs to happen here.

Does TJ have some offer were not aware of? :shrug:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Mitch

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I am aware of Jared Cook's struggles---but---three things stand out to me:

1. His price tag is at an all-time low.
2. I always worried about him when we played STL...he played well versus us, as you say.
3. He had what? 4 different OCs in 4 years? I think under BA's tutelage Cook could be very good.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Unless Rashad accepts a low-ball contract and the role of nickel S, he's not coming back. BA and Bettch are focused of getting versatile safeties that can be flip-flopped and perform a variety of roles.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
My two cents, replace the departed Sean Weatherspoon with ex-Colts linebacker Jerrell Freeman.

I would go crazy if they did! I wanted to make the call on this one, but I believe the Cardinals won't want to pay him the salary he wants and commands, not with the other needs to be addressed. Great call, though, Don!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I have a hard time being frustrated one week into the new business year and Keim, like other GM's, is no doubt waiting for agent demands to lower as they always do after the first few days of FA. He's cool and deliberate and I like that.

CC's salary is $9.5m. His CAP hit $15.2.

I like that too---but being cool and deliberate when picking late in the first round each year does not get you a bona fide pass rusher.

The Cardinals are now stuck in the same rut---the best pass rushers in FA are off the board---the best pass rushers in this draft will be off the board---and unless Keim makes a trade, it's same old same old.

This stifles the draft too---because it is likely to cause Keim to reach, which he hates to do---so he won't reach---which means the 4 edge rushers we will see the most of this year are Golden, Okafor, Martin and Riddick (if he can beat out Okpalauga, whatever rookie they draft and Wagenmann---man i hope Wags is the answer, that would be sweet!).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Does TJ have some offer were not aware of? :shrug:

No news on TJ---but after listening to MJ and Jody I can tell you that the breaking news was that Jody and his wife left the Springsteen concert during the encores in order to beat the traffic and, in doing so, missed Rosalita.:D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No news on TJ---but after listening to MJ and Jody I can tell you that the breaking news was that Jody and his wife left the Springsteen concert during the encores in order to beat the traffic and, in doing so, missed Rosalita.:D

:biglaugh:

Nice Mitch

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
With regard to their tendered safeties (Jefferson and Swearinger), the thing the Cardinals may have going for them is that it is a deep draft for safeties. Keim likely took this into account when determining the tender offers.

Judging by how slow the FA signings are this weekend, it looks again like teams are content to have the draft play out first and then address their needs, and by then, the price tags on veteran FAs are in most cases pretty workable.

What Steve Keim is likely in the process of doing is seeing how the draft projects at what positions for the Cardinals and then determining whether it makes sense to add some players in the next couple of weeks at positions that Keim does not anticipate they can or will address in the draft.

That said---WildBB is 100% correct in his belief that we need to add one or two veteran offensive linemen. There is just too much uncertainty surrounding the C, RG and RT positions. Interesting too that reports were that Keim was negotiating with Bobby Massie's agent to see if he could re-sign him.

I just bought Lindy's Draft Guide---and while it is not the ultimate draft guide, I like the way it is formatted and researched. Their Cardinals' page is right on the money, especially what they said about each of the Cardinals' 2015 draft picks.

Here's what they said about D.J. Humphries: "Never caught up after disappointing camp. Needed a body makeover."

I've heard and read DJ's "body makeover" critique a couple of times and man---if you are drafting a guy in the first round and the player needs a body makeover, what kind of homework are you doing? I find this inexcusable, especially with all the scrutiny these players get at the Combine and at pro days.

if any of you want to hear what Lindy's said about any of the other 2015 draft picks, please let me know.

Last edited:

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
It can be very frustrating , but I also will have to give Keim some credit. I personally wouldn't have offered JPP more then a 1 year deal, hands are almost as important as speed is when your talking about rushing the passer. I think Keim has been very conservative this FA cycle, but I think alot of that is due to how much money is being given to very IMO avg. players because teams are desperate to make a splash. As far as your mock thought you were spot on and liked a number of the guys you have us taking

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
It can be very frustrating , but I also will have to give Keim some credit. I personally wouldn't have offered JPP more then a 1 year deal, hands are almost as important as speed is when your talking about rushing the passer. I think Keim has been very conservative this FA cycle, but I think alot of that is due to how much money is being given to very IMO avg. players because teams are desperate to make a splash. As far as your mock thought you were spot on and liked a number of the guys you have us taking

I totally get your point about Keim being tentative about JPP---even the Giants did not go beyond one year. But---these are the types of rare windows you get at elite pass rushers and you have to seize the day and take some calculated risks, especially when you have no pass rusher on the roster that would not keep any DC in the NFC up at night.

JPP is only 27 years old---he lost his index finger and the tip of his third finger. He just had a procedure that will give him more motion in the third finger, which will allow him to play with glove instead of that club, and will allow him to grasp jerseys. Had he lost his thumb...that would have been a deal breaker. But the fact that he is going to be able to use the hand and clutch on to a jersey when he has to, should not diminish his value.

I am not looking for the Cardinals to make splash---I am looking for them to be able to do what all top contenders for the Lombardi do---which is run the ball when they have to, pass the ball with consistency, stop the run and put consistent pressure on the QB without having to send the ranch.

The Cardinals are making progress in the first 3 areas, especially passing the ball with consistency---and they did defend the run better last year, save the 2nd half of the Rams' game where Gurley went off---but right now the 2nd string edge rushers on the Broncos would be first string rushers on the Cardinals. That's how far behind the Cardinals are.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally get your point about Keim being tentative about JPP---even the Giants did not go beyond one year. But---these are the types of rare windows you get at elite pass rushers and you have to seize the day and take some calculated risks, especially when you have no pass rusher on the roster that would not keep any DC in the NFC up at night.

JPP is only 27 years old---he lost his index finger and the tip of his third finger. He just had a procedure that will give him more motion in the third finger, which will allow him to play with glove instead of that club, and will allow him to grasp jerseys. Had he lost his thumb...that would have been a deal breaker. But the fact that he is going to be able to use the hand and clutch on to a jersey when he has to, should not diminish his value.

I am not looking for the Cardinals to make splash---I am looking for them to be able to do what all top contenders for the Lombardi do---which is run the ball when they have to, pass the ball with consistency, stop the run and put consistent pressure on the QB without having to send the ranch.

The Cardinals are making progress in the first 3 areas, especially passing the ball with consistency---and they did defend the run better last year, save the 2nd half of the Rams' game where Gurley went off---but right now the 2nd string edge rushers on the Broncos would be first string rushers on the Cardinals. That's how far behind the Cardinals are.

He lost half of his thumb.

You must be registered for see images

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPP didn't want to leave New York. That is the bottom line.

That's debatable... He may have been willing on a multi year offer with some security involved but with 1 year deals on the table he preferred to stay...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
That's debatable... He may have been willing on a multi year offer with some security involved but with 1 year deals on the table he preferred to stay...

Exactly. And let's face it---JPP wasn't exactly pleased with the way the Giants handled his situation last year. Had the money and level of commitment been there from the Cardinals, there's a decent chance he would have taken it. Then, with a 3-4 year deal agreed upon, it makes sense to move his family.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, Kiem is doing what good teams do. Not panicking. Look at the teams spending money. What do they all have in common? Lots of cap room and they suck. Just like every year. It's called a budget. We will get some solid players.
I will agree with you on Jefferson. I don't get why we wouldn't guarantee 2.5M instead of 1.7M, for the advantage of getting a second round pick if he is signed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson