Cardinals' Defensive Framework and OC Search

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I believe that in Steve Wilks, Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim got the best and most dynamic head coach in this year's pool. Hands down. The majority of the other candidates are strong tacticians---but do they have the innate ability to motivate 53 men? Keim said that he and Michael Bidwill were focused on finding the right kind of leader, regardless of what side of the ball he has previously coached. Bidwill made a stunning point about Wilks' football IQ and EQ (emotional quotient) as the decisive factors of this hire and the main reasons why Wilks separated himself from the field.

Already, Wilks' defensive staff is taking shape. He is bringing Al Holcomb, Carolina's popular young LB coach, with him as his DC. The stalwart Carolina defense hinged on superb LB play and that should be the case in Arizona as they address the position in free agency and the draft. Keim's first round draft picks last year, LB Hasaan Reddick already fits Wilks' and Holcomb's LB mode because of his speed and versatility. There is a decent chance that Deone Bucannon fits their mold as well, although Bucannon still needs to develop as a downhill tackler and cover ILB. A difficult decision needs to made about Bucannon's $8.7M option.

There are some good FA LBs on the market this year, some of which would seem to fit Wilks' LB mode, such as Todd Davis (Broncos), Nigel Bradham (Eagles), Zach Brown (Redskins), Demario Davis (jets), Christian Jones (Bears), Josh Bynes (Cardinals), Preston Brown (Bills) and Kevin Pierre-Louis (Chiefs).

What is extremely exciting is the thought of what Wilks will be able to do with the talent in the Cardinals' secondary. Josh Norman has already notified Patrick Peterson that Wilks is going to take Peterson's game to a whole new stratosphere. The hiring of Wilks comes at a perfect time for Peterson. Clearly, Wilks is going to have to address the RCB position through FA and/or the draft. Willks has said for years in Carolina that he prefers CBs with size, speed and run-forcing thumping ability. He had that in Norman and then they drafted for that two years ago when they added James Bradberry and Daryl Worley, both of whom check in at around 6-1, 210 pounds. Can Wilks turn around Brandon Williams who has has similar size and speed? Tramon Williams fits the bill and could be a strong FA option, albeit it he is turning 35 this year. UFAs who could be of interest: Bashaud Breeland (Redskins), Marcus Williams (Texans), Kyle Fuller (Bears), Ross Cockrell (Giants) and Patrick Robinson (Eagles).

At safety, one would expect ballhawking thumper Budda Baker to thrive under Wilks and newly appointed safety coach Dave Merritt (who helped develop Landon Collins into an All-Pro in his second season, setting a Giants' record for safety tackles with 125). That's an instant match. Antoine Bethea is coming off one of his best seasons and is very excited to work for Wilks. The biggest question mark is what Wilks will want to do with Tyrann Mathieu, who fits Wilks' nickel CB role to a tee, but perhaps not at $14M a season. If Wilks is able to convince the Honey Badger to rework his contact, expect Wilks to maximize Honey Badger's strengths, which would mean no more reps at FS, a position that does not suit Mathieu's skills set or instincts.

Up front, Wilks has hired DLC Don Johnson to try to fire this group up. Wills vows to hire coaches who can "relate to different personalities." Thus, could Don Johnson be the coach who brings Robert Nkemdiche, Olsen Pierre, Rodney Gunter and Xavier Williams into prominence? On the edge, Chandler Jones and Markus Golden should be very happy with Wilks' aggressive style of play-calling via a variety of blitzes from multiple alignments. It is possible that Wilks may want to sign Carolina's UFA DT Star Lotulelei to a multi-year contract.

The Cardinals now face what should be the most important decision (other than hiring Wilks and finding their QB) of this off-season---who is going to be the OC?

The good news is that former Cardinals' tackle and Panthers' OLC Ray Brown is joining the staff. In addition, the Cardinals denied the Seahawks permission to speak with assistant WR coach Kevin Garver who for the past five years has been a favorite of Larry Fitzgerald's.

But getting the OC selection right is of paramount importance.

Rumor had it during the interview process that Steve Wilks wanted John DeFilippo to be his OC. However, since Wilks' hiring there has been no mention of JDF---perhaps intentionally? DeFilippo could bring the same type of energy and excitement to the offensive side of the ball that Wilks and Holcomb will bring to the defense.

Some pundits are saying that it would be best for Wilks to hire an OC like Mike McCoy who has previous head coaching experience---to be someone Wilks could lean on as he grows on the job. While such a thought is understandable, Wilks, having spent six years as Ron Rivera's right hand man in Carolina will not need to lean on any of his assistants. Willks knows the ropes and he knows the pitfalls.

Last year, the Broncos thought that their new defensive minded HC Vance Joseph could lean on newly re-appointed OC Mike McCoy, but six games into the season McCoy was fired because the offense was over-complicated and could not get on track. The question is---why would the Cardinals choose to put Wilks in a similar situation? Has McCoy since changed his offense and his modus operandi?

The Cardinals interviewed Darell Bevell, the Seahawks' recently fired OC. With Bevell there are seemingly more tangible positives. He knows the NFC West. He helped develop QB Russell Wilson to the point where Wilson led the NFL in TD passes (34) this year. When Bevell had a good OL, his rode a stud RB to prominence. Yes there was that infamous play call in Super Bowl L. But, Bevell also does something the Cardinals have not quite done very well in recent years---he runs a dynamic 2 minute offense. Perhaps the best in the league, next to the Patriots'.

Problem is---Bevell is in Minnesota today interviewing for the Vikings' OC job.

Thus, if the Vikings hire Bevell and Wilks no longer has John DeFilippo to turn to, what next?

Wilks said he wants to have all the coaches hired by the Super Bowl.

But---this hire is too important to rush. Gather more candidates. Keep the phones open and take applications. Bidwill and Keim can cast their wide net on the remaining OC candidates. Explore the college ranks---it's becoming vogue now to help young QBs assimilate into the NFL by adopting plays they were comfortable running in college, like the Eagles have done with Carson Wentz.

Take the time---schedule more reservations at Steak 44---and get the right guy.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Budda may be a "thumper", but he's not a ballhawk. This was his key negative coming out of College.
2. One can only hope that Coach Wilks is smart enough to stay out of contracts. That's one of the things that got Whiz in trouble. It's Keim's job to speak to TM's reps, if need be.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Can they interview JDF during the bye week for OC? Like someone mentioned, maybe there is a "if I don"t get a HC job" agreement between Wilks & JDF. Still, others need to be interviewed in case JDF gets his own team as HC...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is there still a HC position available? JDF would be a great fit but with a rookie defensive HC it would make sense that you would want a genius OC with experience but that ain’t McCoy, not sure if that was Bevell but he looks to have moved on. At this point get JDF if you can, the lack of experience hasn’t hurt PHI. Granted that inexperience will likely be exposed by NE & BB.

I do like the fact that despite being known for running a 4-3 defense, Wilks mentioned a switch in defense may not happen. Finally a coach willing to adapt because he realizes he should play to a system that his players feel comfortable and for the most part are built for.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Mccoy would be the absolute worst hire...dude gets fired everywhere he goes. I'm guessing the #1 target is Flip, and it's being kept quiet on purpose. I kind of wish Caldwell was under more consideration...he would be a good 2nd option, especially compared to Mccoy and Bevell.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I see the Badger following Betcher to NY after we release him for Cap savings.

He'll be great there.

Interesting thought, CC. I thought Mathieu underperformed under Bettcher the last two years, some of it due to his recovery and some of it do to a change in attitude (he didn't seem to have the bounce and fun of the old Honey Badger).

The second thought is that the Giants are going to be right up against the cap. Not sure they can pay Mathieu what he wants.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mccoy would be the absolute worst hire...dude gets fired everywhere he goes. I'm guessing the #1 target is Flip, and it's being kept quiet on purpose. I kind of wish Caldwell was under more consideration...he would be a good 2nd option, especially compared to Mccoy and Bevell.
This guy?

You must be registered for see images attach

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol yes...that guy! He's a good OC, just not a good HC.
I am fairly sure the OC in Indy was Peyton and Jimmy Joe Bob Cooter runs the O show in Detroit. :cheers:

He did run that powerhouse program at Wake Forest before Tony Dungy hired him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think Holcomb might keep TM. Used right I could still see him being an impact player. The dollars are an obstacle but I’m not sure anyone would pay him that much. With the Cards keeping much of the same defense but blitzing more where could he go to better prove he’s still worth the big money. Cut & sign could still work.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think Holcomb might keep TM. Used right I could still see him being an impact player. The dollars are an obstacle but I’m not sure anyone would pay him that much. With the Cards keeping much of the same defense but blitzing more where could he go to better prove he’s still worth the big money. Cut & sign could still work.

Harry, what if Honey Badger refuses to rework his deal? Do they keep him at $14M next year, $14M in 2019 and $10.5M in 2020? All of that kicks in if the Cardinals pay HB the $5M roster bonus in March.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I agree completely Harry. The Badger has not performed at a high level in two years and every team out there knows it. I would take the chance and cut him if he refused to rework his deal.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can they interview JDF during the bye week for OC? Like someone mentioned, maybe there is a "if I don"t get a HC job" agreement between Wilks & JDF. Still, others need to be interviewed in case JDF gets his own team as HC...

Yes, they can interview him up until a week before the Super Bowl. However, the Eagles don’t have to accept any request from another team, and if the do accept it, they can decide when and where the interview can happen.

My hope is, like yours, that there is some sort of agreement in place between Wilks and DeFilippo. After all, it was reported that Wilks would target DeFilippo as his offensive coordinator, and the report came from Albert Breer who usually have solid sources.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree completely Harry. The Badger has not performed at a high level in two years and every team out there knows it. I would take the chance and cut him if he refused to rework his deal.
There’s no guarantee he would even resign here! He would likely head to the highest bidder or a team that has legit SB aspirations. It’s a huge gamble, much like when the Cards lost Hearst to the Bungles then went onto a stellar career in Frisco.

Personally I don’t think he’s even remotely the player he once was. I’d cut bait & risk it.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee he would even resign here! He would likely head to the highest bidder or a team that has legit SB aspirations. It’s a huge gamble, much like when the Cards lost Hearst to the Bungles then went onto a stellar career in Frisco.

Personally I don’t think he’s even remotely the player he once was. I’d cut bait & risk it.

I agree they have to take the risk of cutting Badger and then trying to resign him at a lower contract. If he goes elsewhere you always have Baker who could reliably side into the Badger's position. Besides Badger may not fit into the new defensive schemes like he did here before.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker can take TMs place. He is cheaper and will probably do better. TM is not the player he was since his injuries. That is a good savings that can be used elsewhere .

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree they have to take the risk of cutting Badger and then trying to resign him at a lower contract. If he goes elsewhere you always have Baker who could reliably side into the Badger's position. Besides Badger may not fit into the new defensive schemes like he did here before.
that may be why they drafted Baker in the first place.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

If they cut him, he won't come back. I see this all the time happen. Guy does not want a pay cut, team cuts guy, guy out of pride seems to always go somewhere else even for less money if they have a 'name' for themselves. The wonderful aspect of the Badger story was his bond with Arians which now also becomes a problem, will the guy adhere to another coach when Arians acted like he was his kindred spirit. A new head coach requires complete allegiance from his players but will TM give him that when the media still cites him as the guy he was which has warped his ego

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson