Cardinals' Coaching Staff 2018, 2019 Speculation

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki was saying on the radio this week that from what's hearing, BA will be back in 2018.

BA and Steve Keim are signed through the 2018 season, with club options for 2019.

Chances are pretty strong that if BA returns in 2018 that will be his final year as head coach.

As for Steve Keim, one gets the sense that he's in good stead with Michael Bidwill.

That being the case, and seeing how Steve Keim is a big fan of familiarity when it comes to signing and re-signing players...and how steadfastly he has supported BA and BA's staff decisions...I imagine there already is a plan in place...and here are some guesses of the parameters:

Todd Bowles...if he gets fired by the Jets this year and right now the odds are probably 50/50...Steve Keim will sign Bowles as Assistant Head Coach in charge of the defense, with the understanding that Bowles will become the head coach in 2019.

Kacy Rodgers...current Jets' defensive coordinator...comes with Bowles and takes the place of James Bettcher as defensive coordinator. If Bettcher doesn't sign elsewhere, he will get re-assigned to his OLB coach role.

Rodgers is being considered for the Tennessee Volunteers' head coaching position, thus, if he is offered that job, look for Bowles to want to appoint Kevin Greene as DC. One of those two: Rodgers or Greene would be Todd Bowles' right hand man on defense.

Ryan Ficken...current assistant STs coach with the Vikings who filled in very well for suspended STC Mike Priefer...and has helped the Vikings become one of the best STs units in the NFL...replaces Amos Jones as STC.

The reason why BA is able to comply with these coaching changes is by virtue of the elation he feels that Todd Bowles will be his successor and that signing new assistants now to multi-year contracts will set Bowles up very well for years to come.

Byron Leftwich...becomes a key figure in the organization moving forward. He will be appointed Todd Bowles' OC in 2019 and thus Leftwich will have a significant role in working with Steve Keim and the scouts in this year's draft. With the opportunity to draft a young QB in Round 1 or 2 in this year's draft, Leftwich will be studying and visiting with all the top prospects.

If Todd Bowles remains the Jets' head coach in 2018, then Steve Keim will wait to see if Bowles becomes available in 2019. Leftwich will remain heavily involved in the QB scouting and selection. And the majority of BA's staff stays in place for 2018, save perhaps for Amos Jones and a couple of position coaches.

If Todd Bowles remains with the Jets long-term...then it's quite possible that Steve Keim will consider Harold Goodwin as BA's successor. Under Goodwin, Leftwich becomes the OC and by then maybe James Bettcher has shown solid enough improvement that he stays on as DC. But, two coaches from within who may be moving up the ladder are LB coach Larry Foote and DL coach Brentson Buckner. If Keim and Goodwin want to move on from Bettcher, Foote or Buckner could get the promotion.

If these scenarios are somewhat accurate, what are your thoughts?

I would be happy with Bowles as HC, Leftwich as OC, Rodgers as DC and Ficken as STC.

While Goodwin could be a better head coach than OC, I wonder if the Cardinals would have stronger HC candidates.

For example, if the Cardinals have a chance this year to sign the Vikings' OC Pat Shurmer as head coach, that would be a major coup, imo. Shurmer is going to be the hottest coach on the market. The job he is doing with Case Keenam as QB is sensational. His offense game plans vary from week to week and are very creative. Teams that covet Shurmer will see it as a positive that he has already had head coaching experience with the Browns (where most head coaches deserve a mulligan).

Also, I believe that Mike Vrabel will be the defensive version of the Rams' Sean McVay. He's a head coach the Cardinals could have for the next decade and beyond. Imagine how dominant the Cardinals' defense could become with Vrabel setting the tone.

Another coach I am very intrigued with is the Rams STC John Fassel. Seeing as John Harbaugh made the successful transition from STC to HC, there is something exceptionally efficient and highly competitive about the way Fassel conducts his business. The son of Jim Fassel (Cardinals' OC in 1996), John Fassel attends to detail, diligent preparation and scouting in a very Bill Belichick kind of way. It would be fascinating to see who Fassel would appoint as his coordinators---and could be a very good thing to let the HC oversee all three phases and not have to call the plays on offense or defense.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to take a stab in the dark and say the next coach will be from in house. Sorry to rain on your parade Mitch.:)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am going to take a stab in the dark and say the next coach will be from in house. Sorry to rain on your parade Mitch.:)

Not really raining on it as his other option was Goodwin.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see Bowles getting canned this year, unfortunately. He's already won more games with that team than he should have all season. Hope I'm wrong, getting him back would be huge.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good read on many possibilities for our coaching staff going forward.

I have to think BA is on his way out. He will have to motivated to come back next year. And if that happens SK and MB need to put their foot down and makes some changes.

I'm ready for a new HC and staff. The concern is who they bring in and how much control he will have.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bowles would likely get another HC if the Jets somehow send him packing. I don't get all Mike Vrabel love. I think Pagano will be on the staff in some capacity next year.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is hard for me to imagine that BA doesn't come back if his health is good. It is also hard for me to imagine that, if he comes back, there will be any major changes, meaning any of the coordinators, on the staff. I can't imagine BA agreeing to any firing/demoting of his pets. I also don't think Bidwill or Keim will force it on him or force him out because of it.

I continue to believe that it will be status quo next year. After that? Who knows who will be available/willing to come here in 2019?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

This isn't my parade, Ronin.

If it was up to me, I'd go out of house and start a new, fresh approach and draft the QBOF in Round 1 knowing who the new HC is.

My hunch is the same as yours---it will very likely come from within...but I also include Todd Bowles as an in-house candidate if he becomes available.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Not really raining on it as his other option was Goodwin.

Yes, and what concerns me about Goodwin is he could be more of the same f-bomb em and hug em later philosophy---and---even of greater concern is the reason that I do not think Goodwin's blocking schemes, particularly in the running game are effective and well designed. if the Cardinals are building their offense around David Johnson, and rightfully so, then they need the best blocking schemes possible.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't see Bowles getting canned this year, unfortunately. He's already won more games with that team than he should have all season. Hope I'm wrong, getting him back would be huge.

Bowles deserves another year---but---with some very good offensive gurus available such as Pat Shurmur, Scott Linehan, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael, etc.---it would make perfect sense for the Jets to hire one of them and finally draft their franchise QB.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good read on many possibilities for our coaching staff going forward.

I have to think BA is on his way out. He will have to motivated to come back next year. And if that happens SK and MB need to put their foot down and makes some changes.

I'm ready for a new HC and staff. The concern is who they bring in and how much control he will have.

I agree.

Much could depend on these last 5 games. If BA, SK and MB are encouraged by what they see and BA feels fit to stay, then he likely returns with maybe a couple of staff changes.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Bowles would likely get another HC if the Jets somehow send him packing. I don't get all Mike Vrabel love. I think Pagano will be on the staff in some capacity next year.

Great point about Pagano---particularly if Bowles is retained.

Maybe I am the only one on this board who thinks Mike Vrabel will be an outstanding HC...but I think he is going to get a HC gig this year or next year, at this latest. He was an excellent, highly versatile player---the Texans' players rave about him---he is a Belichick and O'Brien pedigree---and he's articulate and charismatic.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
It is hard for me to imagine that BA doesn't come back if his health is good. It is also hard for me to imagine that, if he comes back, there will be any major changes, meaning any of the coordinators, on the staff. I can't imagine BA agreeing to any firing/demoting of his pets. I also don't think Bidwill or Keim will force it on him or force him out because of it.

I continue to believe that it will be status quo next year. After that? Who knows who will be available/willing to come here in 2019?

I tend to agree with you, pretty much about everything you said.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is hard for me to imagine that BA doesn't come back if his health is good. It is also hard for me to imagine that, if he comes back, there will be any major changes, meaning any of the coordinators, on the staff. I can't imagine BA agreeing to any firing/demoting of his pets.
Mostly agree, but HOPEFULLY the fact that Amos' contract is expiring after this year means that he'll be gone. It's one thing to not fire him, but another thing entirely to convince Keim to extend him a new contract!

I wouldn't be surprised if Pagano or Bowles were brought in with the title of Assistant HC / Defense. Bowles & Bettcher made a fine team previously, so i wouldn't expect Bettcher to be demoted or another DC to be brought in.

...dbs

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be happy with Bowles as HC, Leftwich as OC, Rodgers as DC and Ficken as STC.
I'm curious about the evidence and reasoning behind the idea that Leftwich would be a good OC?!

Not saying he wouldn't - maybe some day - but I have no idea how anyone could believe that he would be a competent OC next year.

...dbs

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki was saying on the radio this week that from what's hearing, BA will be back in 2018.

BA and Steve Keim are signed through the 2018 season, with club options for 2019.

Chances are pretty strong that if BA returns in 2018 that will be his final year as head coach.

As for Steve Keim, one gets the sense that he's in good stead with Michael Bidwill.

That being the case, and seeing how Steve Keim is a big fan of familiarity when it comes to signing and re-signing players...and how steadfastly he has supported BA and BA's staff decisions...I imagine there already is a plan in place...and here are some guesses of the parameters:

Todd Bowles...if he gets fired by the Jets this year and right now the odds are probably 50/50...Steve Keim will sign Bowles as Assistant Head Coach in charge of the defense, with the understanding that Bowles will become the head coach in 2019.

Kacy Rodgers...current Jets' defensive coordinator...comes with Bowles and takes the place of James Bettcher as defensive coordinator. If Bettcher doesn't sign elsewhere, he will get re-assigned to his OLB coach role.

Rodgers is being considered for the Tennessee Volunteers' head coaching position, thus, if he is offered that job, look for Bowles to want to appoint Kevin Greene as DC. One of those two: Rodgers or Greene would be Todd Bowles' right hand man on defense.

Ryan Ficken...current assistant STs coach with the Vikings who filled in very well for suspended STC Mike Priefer...and has helped the Vikings become one of the best STs units in the NFL...replaces Amos Jones as STC.

The reason why BA is able to comply with these coaching changes is by virtue of the elation he feels that Todd Bowles will be his successor and that signing new assistants now to multi-year contracts will set Bowles up very well for years to come.

Byron Leftwich...becomes a key figure in the organization moving forward. He will be appointed Todd Bowles' OC in 2019 and thus Leftwich will have a significant role in working with Steve Keim and the scouts in this year's draft. With the opportunity to draft a young QB in Round 1 or 2 in this year's draft, Leftwich will be studying and visiting with all the top prospects.

If Todd Bowles remains the Jets' head coach in 2018, then Steve Keim will wait to see if Bowles becomes available in 2019. Leftwich will remain heavily involved in the QB scouting and selection. And the majority of BA's staff stays in place for 2018, save perhaps for Amos Jones and a couple of position coaches.

If Todd Bowles remains with the Jets long-term...then it's quite possible that Steve Keim will consider Harold Goodwin as BA's successor. Under Goodwin, Leftwich becomes the OC and by then maybe James Bettcher has shown solid enough improvement that he stays on as DC. But, two coaches from within who may be moving up the ladder are LB coach Larry Foote and DL coach Brentson Buckner. If Keim and Goodwin want to move on from Bettcher, Foote or Buckner could get the promotion.

While Goodwin could be a better head coach than OC, I wonder if the Cardinals would have stronger HC candidates.

For example, if the Cardinals have a chance this year to sign the Vikings' OC Pat Shurmer as head coach, that would be a major coup, imo. Shurmer is going to be the hottest coach on the market. The job he is doing with Case Keenam as QB is sensational. His offense game plans vary from week to week and are very creative. Teams that covet Shurmer will see it as a positive that he has already had head coaching experience with the Browns (where most head coaches deserve a mulligan).

Also, I believe that Mike Vrabel will be the defensive version of the Rams' Sean McVay. He's a head coach the Cardinals could have for the next decade and beyond. Imagine how dominant the Cardinals' defense could become with Vrabel setting the tone.

Another coach I am very intrigued with is the Rams STC John Fassel. Seeing as John Harbaugh made the successful transition from STC to HC, there is something exceptionally efficient and highly competitive about the way Fassel conducts his business. The son of Jim Fassel (Cardinals' OC in 1996), John Fassel attends to detail, diligent preparation and scouting in a very Bill Belichick kind of way. It would be fascinating to see who Fassel would appoint as his coordinators---and could be a very good thing to let the HC oversee all three phases and not have to call the plays on offense or defense.
Love, love, love your initial scenario Mitch with Bowles as HC through Minn’s STs Coach coming-along!

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I would love Bowles back, but he won again today. Ben McAdoo is making him look like Vince Lombardi among new yorkers

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would love to see Bowles succeed BA, but Goodwin is hot trash. I’d vomit on myself if he became our HC.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Clean house!!! It's time to move on big time

1)The ST issues

2)BA always whiffing on obvious challenges he shouldn't even think about

3) the constant confusion in our secondary with guys running wide open

4)no halftime adjustments on either side of the ball

5) wide open screens that go for chunks of yardage

6) etc etc. same mistakes almost weekly

Like a broken record! Time to turn the page

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Amos Jones' contract is up and will make it convenient for Arians to hire another but Bettcher is going nowhere because Arians sees him as a success and something of his doing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm curious about the evidence and reasoning behind the idea that Leftwich would be a good OC?!

Not saying he wouldn't - maybe some day - but I have no idea how anyone could believe that he would be a competent OC next year.

...dbs
This was his first year coaching QBs, right? And we think he’s ready for the whole offense? Ehhh.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Jets ain’t canning Bowles after this year.

Arians will try to bring Amos back.

Bettcher sucks.