OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Amy Pascal (SONY Chairwoman) telling AICN last year that she would "Never ever ever" let go of Spider-Man. She said it is a property tied directly to her legacy at SONY.

I guess timing may be everything: Her contract with Sony expires in March 2015.

:D

BOOM !!

Sooner than I thought...

Sony Chair Amy Pascal Steps Down in Wake of Hack Attack

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/sony-chair-amy-pascal-steps-down-in-wake-of-hack-110171000607.html

Amid the fallout of the ever-widening Sony hacking crisis, Amy Pascal will step down from her post as co-chairman, Sony Pictures Entertainment, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The move has been widely expected ever since the studio became engulfed in one of the worst cyber attacks in corporate history and certainly the most embarrassing hit ever taken by a major Hollywood institution in the digital age.

As often is the case with ousted studio heads, Pascal will launch a major new production venture at the studio. Pascal, whose deal was up in March, will transition to the new venture in May.

:grabs:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently Sony had seen the writing on the wall. What were they going to do...reboot again? They were going to get no cross promotion support or access to new characters. Good call on Sony's part.

Fox? Evidently they are in screw you mode because they are doing fine with X-men. However, the F4 remains to be seen. My guess is you see no movement from FOX until X-Men runs it's course and the F4 assuming the reboot is successful.

Without cross promotional support or access to new characters in those "versus" the pressure would be on if those movies don't do well.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT COST MARVEL ZERO DOLLARS TO GET SPIDER-MAN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/it-cost-marvel-zero-dollars-to-get-spider-man

• Marvel isn't paying a dime to Sony for the rights to use Spidey. But the studio won’t receive a cut of the earnings for any of Sony’s Spider-Man films, and Sony won’t get a cut of the Marvel films that feature Spider-Man. (Marvel also controls the merchandising rights to Spidey.)

• Disney/Marvel reportedly had previously offered Sony "billions" to buy back the character.

• One source claims this could be the first step towards a larger plan to reacquire Spider-Man by Marvel, while another speculates that Disney is angling to acquire Sony Pictures entirely if it goes on the market.

• The Sony Spider-Man spin-offs, for the moment, are still in the works. This includes Sinister Six, Venom and the female Spidey characters film that we've previously heard about. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 is obviously dead, and "while Marvel’s Feige is involved with Sony’s new Spider-Man films, he currently is not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs."

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Evidently Sony had seen the writing on the wall. What were they going to do...reboot again? They were going to get no cross promotion support or access to new characters. Good call on Sony's part.
Exactly. Sony milked Spidey into the ground and Marvel had them backed into a corner. It might have been a good deal years ago, but now that Marvel is releasing its own movies all of their properties will eventually go the route of Spidey.

Only thing is for Sony, Spidey had been a cash cow, but then Sony overall is in dire straits.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor: The New Spider-Man Is Not Going to Be White

http://collider.com/new-spider-man-movie-marvel-non-white-spider-man/

Just a couple of weeks ago, Sony officially confirmed that Spider-Man is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but not Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man. Sony has final approval over casting and the studio is currently on the hunt for someone “much younger” than the 31-year-old Amazing Spider-Man star because apparently, Sony and Marvel are bringing the character back to high school.

Back when that news broke, we also got a rumor claiming that Logan Lerman and Dylan O’Brien were being considered for the role, but now we’ve got a new detail from The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider (via /Film) that could take both of them out of the running. Here’s what Sneider said while on the Meet the Movie Press podcast: “Listen, this is not set in stone guys, but I’m telling you right now, Spider-Man’s not gonna be white. Spider-Man is not going to be white … I am 95% sure. Spider-Man’s gonna be, most likely, black. But there’s a chance he could also be Latino. 95% sure, not white.”

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor: The New Spider-Man Is Not Going to Be White

http://collider.com/new-spider-man-movie-marvel-non-white-spider-man/

Just a couple of weeks ago, Sony officially confirmed that Spider-Man is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but not Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man. Sony has final approval over casting and the studio is currently on the hunt for someone “much younger” than the 31-year-old Amazing Spider-Man star because apparently, Sony and Marvel are bringing the character back to high school.

Back when that news broke, we also got a rumor claiming that Logan Lerman and Dylan O’Brien were being considered for the role, but now we’ve got a new detail from The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider (via /Film) that could take both of them out of the running. Here’s what Sneider said while on the Meet the Movie Press podcast: “Listen, this is not set in stone guys, but I’m telling you right now, Spider-Man’s not gonna be white. Spider-Man is not going to be white … I am 95% sure. Spider-Man’s gonna be, most likely, black. But there’s a chance he could also be Latino. 95% sure, not white.”

I don't care what color he is as long as he is PETER PARKER. I don't want the new garbage with the new Spiderman. That sucks. The Avengers storyline had PETER PARKER.

Seriously, if they do this new version of Spiderman...count me as out again in supporting any new franchise.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what color he is as long as he is PETER PARKER. I don't want the new garbage with the new Spiderman. That sucks. The Avengers storyline had PETER PARKER.

Seriously, if they do this new version of Spiderman...count me as out again in supporting any new franchise.

I am right there with you. I've even seen articles talking about this being a great opportunity for Marvel to beat DC in bringing a major black superhero to the screen.

SMH.

If that is the motivation...that is just sad.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

I am right there with you. I've even seen articles talking about this being a great opportunity for Marvel to beat DC in bringing a major black superhero to the screen.

SMH.

If that is the motivation...that is just sad.

I take it you guys have never heard of Miles Morales?

You must be registered for see images

The Avengers film already blew "cannon" out the window when Ant-Man wasn't featured as a founding member.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Avengers film already blew "cannon" out the window when Ant-Man wasn't featured as a founding member.

Yes, I know who Miles is. But seriously, changing Nick Fury to his black Ultimate universe counterpart is very minor compared to a major character like Spider-Man. Peter Parker IS Spider-Man.

Canon. :cool:

They have completely blown canon out of the water with the dismissal of Pym and Van Dyne - two founding members of the Avengers. Janet is the one that named the team in the comics....now she...

...won't even be alive in the current storyline. So lame.

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/ant-man-janet-van-dyne/

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know exactly who he is and that entire continuity sucks. My son has read those and I have tried. It sucks.

Changing certain things is OK. However, nobody and I mean nobody thinks Miles Morales when they think Spiderman.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know exactly who he is and that entire continuity sucks. My son has read those and I have tried. It sucks.

Changing certain things is OK. However, nobody and I mean nobody thinks Miles Morales when they think Spiderman.

:yeahthat:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero interest seeing anyone but Peter Parker as Spiderman.

Race isn't the issue, which is why I didn't care that Nick Fury was suddenly black.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero interest seeing anyone but Peter Parker as Spiderman.

Race isn't the issue, which is why I didn't care that Nick Fury was suddenly black.

He was still a bad ass and still the same character IMO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Middle-earth to Marvel: Martin Freeman joins 'Captain America: Civil War'

http://www.cnet.com/news/middle-earth-to-marvel-martin-freeman-joins-captain-america-civil-war/

From super heroic to superhero: Martin Freeman has joined the cast of Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War".

Currently shooting in Georgia, Puerto Rico and Germany, "Civil War" will be the third movie from Marvel headlined by Chris Evans as comic book hero Captain America, after "The First Avenger" in 2011 and "The Winter Soldier" in 2014. Freeman's role in the movie has not been specified.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Holland officially cast as new Spider-Man

New film, directed by Jon Watts, will hit theaters in July 2017

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/tom-holland-officially-cast-as-new-spider-man/

You must be registered for see images attach

Tom Holland has won the role of Spider-Man. The 19-year-old British actor will shoot Spidey’s webs and don Peter Parker’s glasses for the franchise’s next film, due out in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28th, 2017. Additionally, Marvel and Sony have tagged Jon Watts (Cop Car) to serve as director of the film.

His casting makes a lot of sense based on what we know about Marvel’s plans for their tentpole hero. The studio previously said they wanted a Spider-Man young enough to last three to four high school-set solo films awash with “John Hughes humor and emotion.” Holland’s boyish features will likely allow him to play the part through multiple years without appearing to out-age the role. And at 19-years-old, the studios won’t have to deal with the legal limitations on working hours for underaged actors.

Before swinging to the screen for the Sony-led solo films, however, Holland will make his first appearance as Spidey in Captain America: Civil War, due in theaters May 6th, 2016. He’ll get right to work, as directors Joe and Anthony Russo are currently shooting the film in Atlanta from a script by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. That quartet is also signed on for the two-part Avengers: Infinity War, during which Holland is also expected to play a part.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Holland officially cast as new Spider-Man

New film, directed by Jon Watts, will hit theaters in July 2017

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/tom-holland-officially-cast-as-new-spider-man/

You must be registered for see images attach

Tom Holland has won the role of Spider-Man. The 19-year-old British actor will shoot Spidey’s webs and don Peter Parker’s glasses for the franchise’s next film, due out in theaters in IMAX and 3D on July 28th, 2017. Additionally, Marvel and Sony have tagged Jon Watts (Cop Car) to serve as director of the film.

I do not want to detect any accent other than NY in Spider-Man.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not want to detect any accent other than NY in Spider-Man.

The British are pretty damn good at American accents. Not worried in the slightest. I just want the character to be fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson