Captain America: Civil War

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain America 3

Captain America to Battle Superman, Batman at Box Office

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/captain-america-3-set-for-may-6-2016-1201153550/

Disney and Marvel have officially dated “Captain America 3″ for May 6, 2016 — the same date as Warner Bros.’ untitled Superman-Batman movie.

Marvel made the announcement on its web site following a record-setting U.S. debut for “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” The sequel took in $203.3 million worldwide over the weekend, with an estimated $96.2 million domestically, for the largest U.S. debut ever in April.

To date, “Winter Soldier” has grossed $300 million-plus worldwide.

It’s widely anticipated that one of the two tentpoles will move off the May 6, 2016, date since they would no doubt cannibalize each other if both opened at the same time.

Monday’s announcement underlines the confidence that Marvel and Disney execs have in the “Captain America” franchise — and their expectation that Warner will vacate the date. WB’s “Man of Steel” grossed $668 million worldwide.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gonna watch it this weekend. Supposed to be alright.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Captain America 3′ Will Start Marvel’s Cinematic ‘Civil War’

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-3-marvel-civil-war-movie/

It’s the day that Marvel Comics fans have been waiting for. With the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe unclear after the impending arrival of Thanos the Mad Titan, it seems Captain America 3 will not only tell the next chapter in Steve Rogers’ (Chris Evans) life, but will be bringing in Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) as well – to begin the universe-wide start of Civil War – an adaptation of the 2006-2007 comic book event.

The report comes courtesy of Variety, claiming that Downey is in final negotiations to join Captain America 3, and citing the ‘Civil War’ comic event as the foundation on which the film will be built. With the proposal of the Superhuman Registration Act, the superhero community of the Marvel universe is split in two: those believing that superpowered individuals should be registered and trained and standing with Tony Stark, and those standing in opposition with Captain America.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Variety article:

Robert Downey Jr. to Join ‘Captain America 3′

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/

Robert Downey Jr. is on the verge of signing on to “Captain America 3,” with Tony Stark’s Iron Man set to play a key role in bringing the Civil War storyline from Marvel’s comicbooks to the bigscreen and trigger the start of a new phase of movies from Marvel Studios.

The actor is in final negotiations to play the billionaire in the yet-to-be-titled third installment, that is slated to begin production in the Spring for a May 6, 2016, release. Downey suits up as the superhero in next summer’s “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” as part of a previous deal that also calls for him to reprise the role in “The Avengers 3.”

The new pact is significant for the Marvel cinematic universe considering the plot will pit Stark against Captain America’s alter-ego Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, as they feud over the Superhero Registration Act, which forces anyone with superhuman abilities to reveal their identities to the U.S. government and agree to act as a police force for the authorities.

Stark supports the program, but Rogers does not, saying it threatens civil liberties, causing sides to be taken and Rogers, among others, to go on the run to avoid arrest. The moral question and battle with his Avengers teammate essentially makes Stark a villain of sorts in “Captain America 3,” providing Downey with a meaty role he could play out into future Marvel films, including a fourth “Avengers.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As cheese said "man... they are going to own movie theaters until the end of time."

:bday:

I just wish they had the rights to all of their properties...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
As cheese said "man... they are going to own movie theaters until the end of time."

They are trying really hard to partner with Sony to inject Spider-Man back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If there is a Civil War movie, it has to include him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if Spiderman continues to circle the drain, it'll only be a matter of time before Sony decides they'll bend to whatever Marvel wants to do a cross-over at some point to regenerate interest in their biggest property.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ironically, it's X-Men that has already covered a lot of ground in the "registration" storyline. A shame they won't be able to exploit what's already been done.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Spiderman continues to circle the drain, it'll only be a matter of time before Sony decides they'll bend to whatever Marvel wants to do a cross-over at some point to regenerate interest in their biggest property.

For sure. The last "Amazing Spider Man" was awful. Fell asleep twice and when I woke up the 2nd time, I was hoping it was over!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure. The last "Amazing Spider Man" was awful. Fell asleep twice and when I woke up the 2nd time, I was hoping it was over!

It also did the worst box office wise of any of the series, which is saying something considering inflation and 3D prices.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically, it's X-Men that has already covered a lot of ground in the "registration" storyline. A shame they won't be able to exploit what's already been done.

Well...they could no? By the end of the last movie we really don't know how much has been altered in the future do we? I don't recall.

They are trying really hard to partner with Sony to inject Spider-Man back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If there is a Civil War movie, it has to include him.

That would be awesome. Although, my favorite story lines when I was a kid were the Spiderman to X-men crossovers.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speculation is that Sony and Marvel may not be close to working out a compromise on the rights to Spider-Man, so Marvel may head in a new direction - having the Black Panther fill in Spidey's part in the Civil War timeline.

Why Spider-Man Wasn't Part Of The Massive Marvel Movie Announcements

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-...Massive-Marvel-Movie-Announcements-67936.html
This seems to change weekly. All they need to do is figure out the $$ and it'll happen. Just get it done already.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly....it's all about money at this point. I would love to see crossovers of all of these properties. It would be awesome.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel Hires Daniel Bruhl For A Mysterious Villain Role In Captain America: Civil War

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marv...ain-Role-Captain-America-Civil-War-68228.html

When it was revealed that Anthony and Joe Russo’s Captain America sequel would be subtitled Civil War, many assumed that Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark would be the natural villain – as Iron Man and Cap are on opposite sides of the battle in the Civil War storyline. But now we’re learning that there will be an actual villain… and we know who will play him.

Marvel breaks the news that Rush star Daniel Bruhl is set to join Captain America: Civil War, which will be in theaters on May 6, 2016. Deadline actually says that Bruhl will "play the villain role," but doesn't reveal the name of the character Bruhl will play in the sequel.

In their story on Daniel Bruhl’s casting, Variety says that Bruhl’s character "is not the main villain in Captain America: Civil War but could potentially be the top menace in Marvel’s Dr. Strange."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spider-Man may appear in 'Captain America 3,' but not with Andrew Garfield

http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/spid...-america-3-but-not-played-by-andrew-garfield/

Despite their public protestations to the contrary, it looks like Sony is working with licensing Spider-man to Disney for use in Marvel's Captain America 3. Just not with Andrew Garfield in the spidey-suit.

The widely-rumored revelation comes from the email inbox of Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal, part of an unprecedented hack last month with new details continuing to leak out every day.

Moreover, it appears that Garfield may be out as Spider-man altogether. Garfield has been praised for his performance as Peter Parker, but his critical remarks that seemed to blame the studio for Amazing Spider-man 2's tepid box office and critical reception may have annoyed the wrong people.

Garfield also stood up Sony at a corporate dinner in July. Garfield's attendance was going to be mentioned by Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and he was supposed to sit with some top Sony executives. His absence (with less than an hour of notice) was seen as an affront and slight by the company's Tokyo bosses.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/spid...-america-3-but-not-played-by-andrew-garfield/

Despite their public protestations to the contrary, it looks like Sony is working with licensing Spider-man to Disney for use in Marvel's Captain America 3. Just not with Andrew Garfield in the spidey-suit.

The widely-rumored revelation comes from the email inbox of Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal, part of an unprecedented hack last month with new details continuing to leak out every day.

Moreover, it appears that Garfield may be out as Spider-man altogether. Garfield has been praised for his performance as Peter Parker, but his critical remarks that seemed to blame the studio for Amazing Spider-man 2's tepid box office and critical reception may have annoyed the wrong people.

Garfield also stood up Sony at a corporate dinner in July. Garfield's attendance was going to be mentioned by Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and he was supposed to sit with some top Sony executives. His absence (with less than an hour of notice) was seen as an affront and slight by the company's Tokyo bosses.

I read this in an article some time ago and it seems a bit ridiculous. They are considering licensing back a character licensed to them. I doubt Marvel does it. The rumors are the want to buy back the rights period. Disney/Marvel want all those rights back and they will probably never license them out again after the agreements are done. Disney is going to have to cough up a ton of cash (which Sony might take with their financial issues) or Disney/Marvel will wait until they expire IMO.

I would love it if they could work something out but I would be surprised. It also in the leaked email stated that "Sony retains ‘creative control". No way Marvel goes for that. The one thing Marvel has been huge on is consistency within their verse for the stuff they hold the rights too. Sony could lend the character and turn around and do what they want screwing up continuity. I just don't see Marvel agreeing to that. As it is, it appears they were annoyed with X-Men franchises use of Quicksilver.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Marvel and Disney have a ton of leverage here--considering how badly the property is at Sony and coupled with all the issues they are having beyond SpiderMan, I think where there is smoke, there's some fire.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney is going to have to cough up a ton of cash (which Sony might take with their financial issues) or Disney/Marvel will wait until they expire IMO.

They keep the rights indefinitely by continuing to put out Spidey films. Likely why we've heard such ludicrous ideas as an Aunt May film, etc.

I remember Amy Pascal (SONY Chairwoman) telling AICN last year that she would "Never ever ever" let go of Spider-Man. She said it is a property tied directly to her legacy at SONY.

I guess timing may be everything: Her contract with Sony expires in March 2015.

:D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel and Disney have a ton of leverage here--considering how badly the property is at Sony and coupled with all the issues they are having beyond SpiderMan, I think where there is smoke, there's some fire.

Also, from what I understand Marvel has also published a new "rule" that no new characters or mass advertising is allowed any longer in regards to Spiderman or X-Men. The only merchandising that will be allowed is for the movie tie ins because they have no control over that.

They are trying to squeeze Sony and Fox by limiting exposure of those characters outside the film rights. Without the ability to expand those worlds and create new characters? Sounds like no place to go but to keep rebooting again and again. Rebooting Spiderman was a disaster and they are talking about a 3rd "light" reboot. X-Men has done better but 2 or 3 films from now? What then?

I don't think those rights are going anywhere soon but Sony and FOX only each having those two properties and no opportunities to expand those verses....I think it's just a matter of time before they sell. Sony was already ripped for rebooting once. Sooner or later fans will just say enough is enough. Without being able to expand that universe, there is no where to go.

You know Marvel will NEVER agree to let them create new characters or use other licensed characters to help them either. Smart IMO.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kim Jong-un didn't like Garfield

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose