Cap Cuts 2022

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two really bad contracts - Jordan Philips and Devon Kennard. I am not just talking about production - you really don't save much at all by getting rid of them. Kudos to their agents.
U can find same production with 1/10 of the investment
I mean we had Mauro and Angelo Blackstock getting the same impact with barely 1 mil each

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Can’t picture cutting Humphries. He was decent most of the year. would redo and extend his contract to get cap space. I’d cut Pugh, Hicks, Isabella and D Thompson. If I desperately needed cash I’d cut Denard and maybe even Prater. Cutting Phillips makes no sense, way upside down. He likely would be cut next year, so I’d hope he’d be motivated to play for another big payday. That‘s how he got here.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t picture cutting Humphries. He was decent most of the year. would redo and extend his contract to get cap space. I’d cut Pugh, Hicks, Isabella and D Thompson. If I desperately needed cash I’d cut Denard and maybe even Prater. Cutting Phillips makes no sense, way upside down. He likely would be cut next year, so I’d hope he’d be motivated to play for another big payday. That‘s how he got here.
Humphries seemed slow after coming back from COVID. Since we have no clue how bad he had it, it's realistic to think his performance in the final few games was impacted by that.

Redo the contact. Finding an average LT is not all that easy.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
Humphries seemed slow after coming back from COVID. Since we have no clue how bad he had it, it's realistic to think his performance in the final few games was impacted by that.

Agree. He’s only 28 too and tackles can play well into their 30s so he still has 5-6 prime years left.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No thanks on $19mm for a Hump. Average at best, I’m confident we can replace an equivalent or better.. cut Hump, Pugh and Hicks. Saves us ~$31mm with very limited dead money so all the more feasible.

We will have about $50mm in cap to address roster needs and a near full slate of draft picks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching the Bills and Chiefs you can really see how and why this offense was so bad.

Who scares you on this offense? Hopkins? Okay. Who else? Kirk? Green? Don’t make me laugh. Ertz? Honestly I don’t think he’d start on the remaining playoff teams. The O-line? Har har hardy har har.

We can’t fix this entire team. We have to give Murray and Kingsbury weapons and an offensive line and say “ go out score them!”

Right now we can’t win with this defense and we can’t win with this offense. Fix one and do it right and dynamically.

In todays game we are not stopping teams like he Chiefs, Bengals, Bills and Rams no matter what we do to fix the defense.

Since Kingsbury and Kyler aren’t going anywhere then we have to load up on offense and hope our offensive genius coach and “ pro bowl” Qb can put it all together. We need to take away any excuses for failure. Our goal should be scoring 30 points a game and hope for the best.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whether Hicks will be gone heavily depends on if VJ gets canned or left for another job. If VJ is retained, no way Hick will get cut.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether Hicks will be gone heavily depends on if VJ gets canned or left for another job. If VJ is retained, no way Hick will get cut.
Doesn’t matter. This offense needs a MAJOR facelift. We might be the slowest offense in the league.
Nobody other than Hopkins strikes fear into our opponents heart.
Add whoever you want on this defense and we will not stop the likes of the Rams, Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals.
As you saw this weekend the only way to compete with these teams is go all in on building this offense and try to out score everyone.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Kyler needs a 20 yard pocket with the way he snaps from the gun and then runs backwards. He makes Hump look bad because he’s asking the impossible. If Kyler would grow a pair and step up in the pocket, Hump would be more than adequate.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After watching the Bills and Chiefs you can really see how and why this offense was so bad.

Who scares you on this offense? Hopkins? Okay. Who else? Kirk? Green? Don’t make me laugh. Ertz? Honestly I don’t think he’d start on the remaining playoff teams. The O-line? Har har hardy har har.

We can’t fix this entire team. We have to give Murray and Kingsbury weapons and an offensive line and say “ go out score them!”

Right now we can’t win with this defense and we can’t win with this offense. Fix one and do it right and dynamically.

In todays game we are not stopping teams like he Chiefs, Bengals, Bills and Rams no matter what we do to fix the defense.

Since Kingsbury and Kyler aren’t going anywhere then we have to load up on offense and hope our offensive genius coach and “ pro bowl” Qb can put it all together. We need to take away any excuses for failure. Our goal should be scoring 30 points a game and hope for the best.
I moderately disagree. Chiefs have only two weapons: Hill and Kelce. 49ers are the same: Samuel and Kittle. Bills have Diggs and a group of possession receivers: An aging Emmanuel Sander, a short route expert Cole Beasley, and a one-game wonder Gabriel Davis. Rams have Kupp and others. I don't anyone scared of Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee, and/or now OBJ. Bengals have Chase and Higgins. I believe the Cardinals have enough weapons when DHop is healthy. Ertz is still good (you can tell by often he gets open) but either KK did not really incorporate him in the offense or Kyler did not like throwing to him/can't see him. Green, Kirk, and Moore are OK as possession receivers. Can they be upgraded? Sure, but they are not our kryptonite.

Oline is a completely different story and I am totally on the same page as you are that is why I am completely on the "Keim has to go" team.

TBH, I have no easy fix for our offense because the biggest difference I saw between us and Chiefs/Bills is the QB play, but I don't know if Kyler can grow to become an Allen/Mahomes level QB. We can throw all the weapons and Oline as we can get to Kyler, it will be up to Kyler to make good use of them. Cowboys model is the typical example of good weapons + good Oline + poor QB play.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can break all of these down pretty easily and the saddest part is that most are just due to the cap number they have.

Humphries probably not going anywhere as there is no way to replace him this offseason unless you are prepared to roll out Beachum and Jones as your OTs. The two most reasonable paths are extending Humphries to a more manageable number around 14 per season ala Tampa and Donovan Smith OR draft an OT early and play out Humphries last year.

Pugh is similar in that he is probably a top 20 LG getting paid like a top 10 LG. I don't believe there is a better option readily available. Better to sign a top RG ala Scherff, draft an OG early, and roll with Pugh one more year.

You can save 4 mil by cutting Phillips but you are probably punting in terms of production. The benefit is that it would provide you 4 mil to re-sign an offensive FA like Ertz, Conner or Edmonds. Or a FA WR if you wanted to go that route.

Hicks and Kennard are 100% dependent on Vance. If Vance stays, Hicks stays and I doubt he takes a pay cut. Kennard is similar to Phillips in that you are getting just under 5 mil to create a roster hole though with Kennard's snaps it is tough to just keep him. A different DC probably enables you to salvage something from Kennard as he has been productive in his career.

More examples of how the inability of Keim being able to communicate with Vance in terms of what he wants from a personnel standpoint is hindering this roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would put our offensive talent against Buffalo any day and say the difference is the QB. One guys plays like a star and the other plays like he needs perfect circumstances. Just a huge gap in terms of performance in big games from the QB. Murray has been past and will need to show more to even get back in the convo. Before anyone brings Kliff into this please remember that Josh Allen found Jordan Palmer on his own. Brian Daboll had nothing to do with it.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watt, Phillips, Hicks and Kennard are set to take up a combined 22.5% of our cap next year. That is just blatant cap mismanagement with no cheap backups behind them to take their places.

Keim did well adding pieces to the roster that Graves built, but he has failed absurdly at building a roster on his own.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moderately disagree. Chiefs have only two weapons: Hill and Kelce. 49ers are the same: Samuel and Kittle. Bills have Diggs and a group of possession receivers: An aging Emmanuel Sander, a short route expert Cole Beasley, and a one-game wonder Gabriel Davis. Rams have Kupp and others. I don't anyone scared of Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee, and/or now OBJ. Bengals have Chase and Higgins. I believe the Cardinals have enough weapons when DHop is healthy. Ertz is still good (you can tell by often he gets open) but either KK did not really incorporate him in the offense or Kyler did not like throwing to him/can't see him. Green, Kirk, and Moore are OK as possession receivers. Can they be upgraded? Sure, but they are not our kryptonite.

Oline is a completely different story and I am totally on the same page as you are that is why I am completely on the "Keim has to go" team.

TBH, I have no easy fix for our offense because the biggest difference I saw between us and Chiefs/Bills is the QB play, but I don't know if Kyler can grow to become an Allen/Mahomes level QB. We can throw all the weapons and Oline as we can get to Kyler, it will be up to Kyler to make good use of them. Cowboys model is the typical example of good weapons + good Oline + poor QB play.
Kyler is our Qb. He’s either gets better or he don’t. So here my way of thinking.
Surround him with all the weapons we can. Revamp the o- line. Solidify the running back room. Remove all excuses.
If Kyler falls short of expectations and we are forced to move on we will have a very good supporting cast for whoever is brought in.

But no more one year prove it deals with older players.

Go out and get a Ben Jones and smoke Glowinski to solidify the o-line along with a draft pick. The Chiefs totally revamped their o-line last year. It took about 6 games to get it together but when they did the Chiefs we’re back on track.

There are Wr’s out there that can replace Kirk and Green. We need a home run hitter that would make Hopkins even better. I like Cedric Wilson. A DJ Chark who had a down year with an ankle injury is a bigger guy and would provide much needed yac. Both these guys can score from anywhere on the field. Hopefully Moore can blossom along with Westley. We can’t afford Mike Thomas, Mike Williams or Allen Robinson.

At running back Conner is the tough guy but we need two firecrackers. Can Eno fill that role? Can we keep Edmonds? If no to Eno and Edmonds then again there are RB’s that can fill that role or maybe a draft pick.

At TE we’d all like Ertz to return. Williams would be great but he had a pretty bad injury and it might not be 100% for the 2022 season. Maybe a guy like Mo Alie-Cox.

Now the onus is on Kingsbury and Kyler. If they don’t perform then it will be time to move on from both of them. But our offensive personnel would be in great shape for whoever would take over.

We have to establish an identity. When we were scoring 30 points a game the defense, yes THIS defense, played better. Much easier to play defense when you’re up 17 points. We have to create an offense that will strike fear into the hearts of our opponents. Turn one of the slower offenses into a much faster one.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put our offensive talent against Buffalo any day and say the difference is the QB. One guys plays like a star and the other plays like he needs perfect circumstances. Just a huge gap in terms of performance in big games from the QB. Murray has been past and will need to show more to even get back in the convo. Before anyone brings Kliff into this please remember that Josh Allen found Jordan Palmer on his own. Brian Daboll had nothing to do with it.
Other than Hopkins who strikes fear into the hearts of our opponents? The Bills offensive line makes ours look like pop Warner. Even a guy like Gabriel Davis averaged 17 yards a catch with 7 tds.

Yes, Kyler has to step up as well as Kingsbury and Keim. They aren’t going snywhere. So revamp the o- line add some size and speed to our Wr room, keep Ertz but add depth because I don’t know if we can count on Williams and decide what to do with the rb’s.
Take all excuses off the table for Kingsbury and Kyler. If they can’t get it done then whoever comes here would have a decent offensive roster.

Look at the Rams. Kupp, OBJ, Jefferson, and Higbee. Don’t forget Woods. This is our main competition in the division. You can’t really believe our talent is equal to theirs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference between Buffalo’s offensive talent & ours is speed & quickness. If/when Kirk leaves, Rondale will be the only one with that type of speed. Don’t think Ertz should be resigned either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No, he wasn't. He was garbage for 3 games before Covid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Answer this

Would you rather have Hump at LT and keep Justin Murray or Garcia at RG or...

Have Brandon Scherff at RG and Beachum at LT and Jones at RT?

I would rather have option 2. Because Kyler can handle edge pressure pretty well. He's always so deep he can see it coming and roll out. But he's absolutely garbage at handling interior pressure.

I wouldn't normally suggest this for any other QB, or if we had a LT I was actually confident in. But there isn't much difference off between Hump and Beachum frankly and it suits Kyler more to have a solid interior.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Answer this

Would you rather have Hump at LT and keep Justin Murray or Garcia at RG or...

Have Brandon Scherff at RG and Beachum at LT and Jones at RT?

I would rather have option 2. Because Kyler can handle edge pressure pretty well. He's always so deep he can see it coming and roll out. But he's absolutely garbage at handling interior pressure.

I wouldn't normally suggest this for any other QB, or if we had a LT I was actually confident in. But there isn't much difference off between Hump and Beachum frankly and it suits Kyler more to have a solid interior.
That is EXACTLY his problem. Unless it's an all-out jail break, a QB shouldn't be rolling out--that only deepens you in the pocket, takes your eyes away from your receivers, and often leads to crushing sacks. Edge pressure means a QB should step up into the pocket. Will he ever learn this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson