Can 2016 Cardinals Overcome...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Many tell-tale signs of dysfunction.

* After recent error-plagued losses to MIN and ATL, a rather subdued Bruce Arians hinted at having himself and the coaches do some much-needed reflection as to why the team is self-destructing. However, as has been the pattern after all of the losses this year, the next day, after having studied the game film, Arians used his Monday afternoon pressers to point fingers at individual players and at the poor lack of leadership amongst the veterans, as well as the poor effort and commitment from the younger players.

To many Cardinals' fans who endured the frustration of hearing Ken Whisenhunt week after week defend himself and his under-performing coaching staff by insisting that "the system works," Arians' refusal to take his part of the blame is disconcerting.

Arians has lost some credibility over the past eleven months. His favoring and protecting of some under-performing players such as Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, A.Q. Shipley, Mike Iupati, Jermaine Gresham, Andre Ellington, Kevin Minter and most of all, Drew Butler, has created serious questions about BA's ability to separate his personal allegiances from his fair assessment of the players' productivity.

Such applies to his coaching staff as well. While in certain aspects, James Bettcher has shown some growth as a DC, his defense breaks down because several players do not stay within their assignments and disciplines. Any team preparing against the Cardinals' defense can readily see that the Cardinals do not emphasize keeping contain on the edges, they do not pick up and cover RBs well on passes out of the backfield, they do not attack and blow up screens, they do not tackle well on the perimeter.

What all these deficiencies suggest is that the players are either not being taught well enough or the players pretty much feel they can do their own thing on the field regardless of their responsibilities. Either way, this suggest a certain disconnect between the defensive coaches and the players.

On the other side of the ball, no matter how many injuries the offense has incurred, the system does not change.

* despite having all the skill players back from last year---(1) plays are still being read off a wristband; (2) plays are coming in late; (3) the players are not getting out of the huddle fast enough; (4) the play clock is always running down to 3 or fewer seconds; (5) over 90% of the plays are being snapped at the first hut; (6) the WRs routes are wildly inconsistent (save for Fitzgerald); (7) the QB is forcing passes where he thinks the WRs should be instead of re-adjusting to their routes; (8) the minimal protection scheme-wise has caused Carson Palmer to take repeated beatings in the pocket; (9) when TEs are asked to help out on the edge, they tend to whiff completely on their blocks; etc.

* yet because of how tremendous David Johnson is, the Cardinals have been able to mount several long drives a game, only this year, when Palmer gets the team into the red zone, BA gets pass happy and Palmer starts forcing the ball into ill-designed routes that are such egregiously low-percentage.

On STs---things remain a three-ring circus---yet BA insists that the coaching has been excellent. The punting game on both ends has been atrocious---the other teams are booming punts and flipping the field, even when they punt from near their own goal-line. Meanwhile, Drew Butler consistently fails to deliver, both in distance and hang time.

Then there is the issue of developing younger players----BA conceded this week that he no longer expects rookies to contribute, but laments the fact that so few of them are even contributing on STs.

There appears to be a significant disconnect between what Steve Keim sees in the players he drafts and what consequently BA and his coaches see when they hit the practice field. Two years in a row now, the Cardinals have gotten zero out of their 1st round picks---that is not a coincidence.

Look at this year's draft:

* Nkemdiche---despite sub-par DE/DT play from everyone but Campbell, Rucker and Mauro, NK can't even crack the rotation. A healthy inactive week after week.

* Brandon Williams---was thrown into the fire way too early, lost his spot, but couldn't even beat out Tharold Simon for playing time in sub packages---plus, despite coming in with the reputation of being a stellar ST player, has not been a factor at all on STs.

* Evan Boehm---had one of the best TCs of any of the rookies, but BA has been insistent on starting Shipley.

* Marqui Christian---cut in one of the worst roster handling gafffes in Keim's and BA's tenure.

* Cole Toner---despite, like Boehm, having a good TC and pre-season, can't even get the nod over Taylor Boggs, whom they cut and then brought back a few weeks ago.

It is hard to say who is more at fault here---Keim or Arians. But what's clear is that the coaches are not developing the players as quickly as they should. In a year where two rookies, QB Dak Prescott (4th rounder) and RB Ezekiel Elliott (!st rounder) and legit MVP candidates on an 11-1 Cowboys team, the Cardinals no longer have any excuse for refusing to develop and play rookies----in the age of the salary cap, getting some mileage out of the rookie class is imperative.

The players just met on their own---they are saying they are big-boys who can take being called out for their selfishness and lack of toughness and leadership in the media---but will they be able to overcome the dysfunction? Hard to know----but being shamed by the coach isn't usually an effective motivator.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bettcher may be so young and inexperienced that the players aren't showing him the level of respect a coordinator normally demands.

I, too, fear that Arians has had enough success in his career that he is lying down and depending on his 'system' rather than being nimble and adapting to variations in game conditions. It ran Whiz out of town and I hope the same pattern doesn't develop again. The favored-player and doghouse system seems arbitrary and antiquated.

I think the point has been reached this season where we need to get the young guys onto the field, develop their skills and see factually what we have in them as we plan for next year.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch. The repeated use of the end zone fade to non-Fitzgerald players has been more outlandish than any other play calling decisions this season. We've had success running it up the middle, having Carson hit short crosses or throwing to DJ when the defense goes man inside the ten but we are routinely throwing away downs on fades the defenses know is coming to player's that can't make those plays.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very astute, my friend. While, incredibly thankful for our recent success, this year has just felt "off". I've heard more than once that the others teams have "figured out what we're doing and have adjusted." But, for some strange reason we have NOT. "Change", as we know, is a constant. The NFL "experience" on this staff is incredible and I think this off-season they're going to get their heads together and come up with something that will work going forward.

...And take heart that this front office, like so many in the past, DOES NOT accept "losing" as the norm.

Have a GREAT day, Everyone! (Is that 15 "Redneck Voodoo"? LOL)

Mark :)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Funny thing is when the team was going to the playoffs, Arians was a coaching genius.

Now that he is losing he is arrogant, and plays favorites.

That is fine. I just ask fans to pick a lane. Either you like his coaching style or you don't, because it is the same as it has been since Arians got here. It cannot being a convenient truth relative to the record of the team because then we are just saying, when it works it works, and when it doesn't it doesn't and by saying that, the only variable there are the players.

These are professional players, if they cannot handle the critique that lead this team to the playoffs and the success that we have seen in the 3 years before this, then I would say that is on the players themselves.

Arians has called out Carson Palmer's play, its an easy find on AZCARDINALS.com.

I won't even comment on Drew Stanton, the ridiculousness of critiquing a backup quarterback who won the only game he started, on a short week, on the road, with injuries to key receivers. I backup QB whose tenure with the team consists of a winning record. The expectation here are unrealistic. Not to mention when looking at the problems this team has, why would the guy getting his job done be a problem ?

Mike Iupati is hurt, and has gutted it out this season, a season where two starters are on I.R. His reward ? People calling for his head. Its a good thing he doesn't read press clippings, because if I read them, I would sit out with my bad ankle, and do what is best for myself, and my career, and let the fans and the media watch Earl Watford and Taylor Boggs get their butt whipped. Pretty sure after 5 games of watching those two, fans and media will be crying for Iupati to be back. What's the plan going forward ? Cut Mike Iupati, and start Cole Toner ? Sorry, I simply cannot agree.

Andre Ellington. Never have I heard a 3rd string running back get critiqued like he has. I bet Ellington is counting the days to get the hell out of town. Next year when the 3rd stringer isn't even Ellington's league, again, people will be pining about letting him go. Its not Ellington's fault that people cannot understand he is not a 230lbs workhorse back. He is a role player, and has been for two years.

Jermaine Gresham. Troy Niklas on I.R., Darren Fells regresses to a bench player. Gresham who has never EVER been touted for his blocking is coming in and doing his job best he can. One of the few players showing effort, and making plays, but no, worthless. Again, expectations beyond reality. But, don't worry, he will be gone next season, and will be sure not to make the same mistake he made in taking less money to come back to the Cardinals. Wonder how long it will be until next season fans will be asking why he wasn't resigned.

That being said, there is no doubt Minter, Shipley, and Butler have no place on a NFL roster, and that falls on the Cardinals, no doubt about it. The dog and pony show that led to Marquis Christian being cut was ridiculous, and should be an embarrassment for this front office. Not saying Christian would have been a starter or anything more than a role player, but he could tackle and we need that on special teams more than a punter that we ended up cutting anyway.

"* despite having all the skill players back from last year" - REALLY ? This statement holds as much water for me, as fans complaining about the Cardinals "lack of cap space"

Lyle Sendlien - Gone.
Bobby Massie - Gone.
Jared Veldheer - IR
Tyrann Mathieu - Hurt, good as gone.
Rashad Johnson - Gone
Jerraud Powers - Gone
Dwight Freeney - Gone
Cory Redding - Gone
Red Bryant - Gone
Lamarr Woodley - Gone
Ted Larson - Gone
Bradley Sowell - Gone
Michael Floyd - Regressed to a liablity
John Brown - Hurt all year
Jaron Brown - IR
Chris Johnson - IR
Alani Fua - IR
Troy Niklas - IR

Not quite the same team. Just sayin' I have heard fans, and the media say this time and time again. Its is not the same team, and NO not everyone came back, and the more you look at it, it is not even close to the same team. Not to mention not having Tyrann Mathieu at 100% is taking away a "Defensive Player of the Year" type talent, and not only taking away from the talent on the field, but his HUGE contract takes away from the depth. His injury and the effect it had on this team is the elephant in the room NO ONE is talking about. You want to talk about protected players, well Mathieu should be at the top of the list. Mathieu's role on this team is to be the #1 defensive player on the team, and right now he is not even starter quality out there. Yet, no one says anything about how that has hurt this team in multiple ways.

As for not playing rookies ?

David Johnson ? Brandon Williams ? John Brown ? JJ Nelson ? Rodney Gunter ? Marcus Golden ? DJ Humphries ?

Guess they cannot develop those players either since Golden, Gunter, Johnson, Brown and Humphries all came out of college and played at the level they play at now out of college ? Yes, there is talent that hasn't developed, but to say the job is not getting done, is not really fair nor true.

Look, this team has HUGE problems, no doubt. I am not saying they do not. Just saying I think there is a lot of problems that are just not actual problems, or are the least of this team's worries.

A lot of it is personnel problems. Keim is most at fault if you want my personal opinion. Arians is the same coach he was when he got here. If his act has gotten old, then fine, I can see that, but saying that his methods are dysfunctional after the success he has doesn't really hold up to the results this organization has seen more times than not.

Yet, it is Arians that keeps the special teams what they are, it is Arians that works closely with Keim. Even Arians himself has critqued his coaching this year (again, easily found on AZCardinals.com) and has very recently questioned himself if he is asking players to do what they simply cannot.

Keim is the more concerning piece if you ask me. His drafts have not been horrible, but they haven not been what this team needs either. Yes, drafting best player available is a great way to go, but last year was RIDICULOUS! Why draft so many defensive backs when you know you can only have so many on the roster, and then to go into the preseason and the story line is that there is no cornerback to play across from Peterson is unacceptable.

At a time where the team NEEDS inside linebackers, and needs to start looking at quarterbacks you just cannot do that. Yes, it is no sure thing that you are going to hit in rounds 4 through 7, but I will say this, there is a ZERO percent chance a player will be developed if they are cut or if you have some many players at one position they never see the field.

Pick up a damn linebacker in the 5th or 6th round for Pete's sake!

Personally, I think the biggest issue is that 3 out of the 5 top wide receivers on this team are out, or regressed to a point of being liability and are questionable if they will EVER come back to form. The only true NFL caliber receiver on the team is 33 years old and is a slot receiver. Not good.

Three out of the team's four tight ends are either out, or regressed to a point of being liability, and the only NFL caliber tight end left is a pass catching tight end who is in this 30's and in the last year of his contract. Not good.

This team has no inside linebackers, enough with the Deone Bucanon experiment. Its not working out for the Cardinals or any team that is not the Panthers that are trying this safety to linebacker transition. Yet, again, that is an issue, having ZERO inside linebackers. This was the biggest failure this offseason if you ask me, more than cornerback, more than guard. Not good.

Special Teams............my goodness. The squad the Cardinals have is an insult to the entire history of NFL football. Drew Butler is awful, the long snapper situation was stomach churning and embarrassing. Then there is Justin Bethel, the player who has regressed more at his #1 role at special teams than anyone. He is a poor cornerback, and has lost what made him a key special teams player, this whole phase of the game is absolutely at rock bottom.

Carson Palmer is what he is. Drew Stanton is what he is. They are both playing exactly how they normally do. Yet, the window for the Super Bowl with these two have closed. Palmer has to come back next season, because there is no other realistic choice, and unless you want to go back to Max Hall, Derek Anderson, and John Skelton type play, you stick with Palmer. That being all said, it is time to bring in quarterback prospects for the future. THANKFULLY the Cardinals may be in a draft position to do it. We will see.

At least there is prospects at center, at guard, and at tackle on the offensive line.

Even if this team loses Chris Johnson, and Andre Ellington, they are good at running back with Kerwynn Williams still hanging around, and backup running backs are easy to come by.

There are prospects for the defensive line.

There are prospects in the defensive backfield.

Chandler Jones, and Marcus Golden are assets at OLBer, and if Keim were to re-deem himself, he finds a way to re-sign Alex Okafor, who would has found a nice role, and is playing well even with one arm.

There is a lot of work to do, but I think there is a lot of assumed problems, that when looked at more deeply are not really issues. And there are issues that are simply KILLING this team right now, and they are being looked over.

Thus my long post in response to this thread. Good read, even if I didn't agree with a lot of it. Certainly got my Cardinals analysis juices going, LOL. Just my stupid opinion of course.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fantastic post Rugby - couldn't agree more!

ST Coaching is not good - been a weak spot since BA took over and this year, combined with the roster decision specifically for ST, it has cost us 3 wins plus points by providing a short field to the opponent.

More than anything that upsets me - the decision to bring back Butler when Quigley outplayed him. Below are their stats for this year, although Quigley doesn't punt much further, he does punt higher and has far fewer attempted punt returns (24% vs 58%).

I mentioned this several times - if Amos Jones is the reason we would bring Butler back, he should be fired for that alone, not to mention the poor comparative ST play since he arrived. If Keim or BA made this decision...well, I can't really believe either one of them would care about a punter, they would be working on the word of the ST coach. Grrrrr.....

Butler
Games 5
Punts 24
Long 51
Avg 41.5
Net Avg 35.6
OOB 1
Downed 2
In20 9
Touchback 0
FairCatch 7 (29%)
Returned 14 (58%)

ReturnYrds 141
RYardsAvg 10.1

Quigley
Games 6
Punts 34
Long 55
Avg 41.6
Net Avg 38.3
OOB 1
Downed 5
In20 13
Touchback 2
FairCatch 18 (53%)
Returned 8 (24%)

ReturnYrds 75
RYardsAvg 9.4

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Fantastic post Rugby - couldn't agree more!

ST Coaching is not good - been a weak spot since BA took over and this year, combined with the roster decision specifically for ST, it has cost us 3 wins plus points by providing a short field to the opponent.

More than anything that upsets me - the decision to bring back Butler when Quigley outplayed him. Below are their stats for this year, although Quigley doesn't punt much further, he does punt higher and has far fewer attempted punt returns (24% vs 58%).

I mentioned this several times - if Amos Jones is the reason we would bring Butler back, he should be fired for that alone, not to mention the poor comparative ST play since he arrived. If Keim or BA made this decision...well, I can't really believe either one of them would care about a punter, they would be working on the word of the ST coach. Grrrrr.....

Butler
Games 5
Punts 24
Long 51
Avg 41.5
Net Avg 35.6
OOB 1
Downed 2
In20 9
Touchback 0
FairCatch 7 (29%)
Returned 14 (58%)

ReturnYrds 141
RYardsAvg 10.1

Quigley
Games 6
Punts 34
Long 55
Avg 41.6
Net Avg 38.3
OOB 1
Downed 5
In20 13
Touchback 2
FairCatch 18 (53%)
Returned 8 (24%)

ReturnYrds 75
RYardsAvg 9.4

The biggest kick to the junk (lol, punters) is that the Atlanta Falcons roll out some punter off the streets from out of no where, and he looks better than Bulter and Quigley combined. Butler has been on the roster for two years, and guys like who Atlanta signed are sitting around out there.

This further piles onto to my feeling the Keim is not the GM we were touting him to be. We will see. Keim is at least pro-active, now he has to start getting more quality instead of quantity.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This further piles onto to my feeling the Keim is not the GM we were touting him to be. We will see. Keim is at least pro-active, now he has to start getting more quality instead of quantity.

This is where it is hard to fault Keim too much - he brings in players for tryout, but the positional coaches work them out and make a recommendation. As a GM, you want to trust your coaches until it is obvious that you can't - I think we have reached this point with Amos Jones. So you either ignore the coaches and swap out the player anyways, creating tension on staff during the season, or you wait until the offseason and make a coaching correction. All the while, putting pressure to remedy the issue during the season.

This is really the first adverse issue that the Cards have had since BASK took control.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For the love of the football gods Arians, unless Amos saved your life or is your secret brother... can him already, and take that piece of crap punter with him!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Rugby---thanks for your excellent and highly detailed response. Here are some of my reactions to your points:

* I have been souring on BA for a while now, not simply because the team is losing this year, but I feel very uneasy about his coaching style, his coaching staff decisions and his offensive schemes.

Style---I am 100% convinced that calling out individual players and the team's leadership to the media is poor form that can and will often backfire. I have become very concerned that UFAs will not want to sign in AZ and be subjected to BA's style. If I was a UFA, I wouldn't want to play for him, because he's way too volatile.

Coaching Staff---his allegiance to buddy and apprentice coaches is hurting the team. If he doesn't hold the coaches accountable first, how can that sit well with the players? I am not a big fan of Harold Goodwin---I find year after year his linemen are sloppy and lazy in their technique---nor I do not find him to be a compelling persona, and thus do not feel he is head coaching material---which worries me because BA will push for him to be his successor when he steps down. Amos Jones is the worst STs coach in the NFL---these past 4 years have proven it. James Bettcher was not a credible choice as DC for a HC who is preaching All or Nothing. I think Bettcher would eventually be qualified to be a DC after rightfully paying his NFL dues for 6-8 years---but his inexperience not only hinders the overall effectiveness of the defense, even worse, because of how young and inexperienced he is, he lacks the gravitas that veteran and young players respond to---which is why so many of the players are basically doping their own things out there and not staying within the discipline of the defense.

I think it is very telling that BA has been adamantly against bringing in established coordinators---because he naively thinks that he can groom anyone.

Offensive Schemes---this offense troubles me is so many ways, it is really hard for me to watch objectively anymore. I cannot understand why it should be so complex to understand and learn---not when the NFL is simply about matchups and attacking defensive formations where they are most vulnerable. To see Dak Prescott doing exactly that as a rookie and looking perfectly comfortable in the system is a testament to how un-complicated offenses can be.

What's mind-boggling to me is how trapped I feel at the QB position with BA. If it took Carson Palmer a whole off-season and 8 games to "understand" and "feel comfortable" in BA's offense, how can we ever expect a UFA QB or let alone a rookie QB come in and have success?

You laud Drew Stanton and think it is absurd to criticize him---well, he does not look at all comfortable in BA's offense and he's been with BA for 5 years. Even worse---and this is my bigger issue---Stanton has put zero pressure on Carson Palmer to achieve at a higher level, which is why Palmer can get away with making 2-3 game-altering, momentum-turning boneheaded and careless plays a game.

BA's play calling this year in the red zone has been so ill-advised for a coach of his experience. The "zero" backfields are killing this team---and now that Floyd, Smoke and Nelson have been with BA for 4,3,2 years respectfully, none of them have been taught how to disengage from press coverage and gain quick separation when BA goes into the spread. BA would say but they are the deep threats---but when he goes into a spread, the QB has "zero" time to throw the ball---everything has to come out quick, which is Palmer just chucks it to spots.

I have more to add about other points you made---will add another post in a few minutes.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
On the other hand, I remain very impressed by Steve Keim.

I think that where he has gotten into trouble is in acquiescing to BA's personnel demands, like paying Drew Stanton $4M to return as backup QB in lieu of re-signing Dwight Freeney (who could have been retained for even less than Stanton's $4M), who was a godsend to the Cardinals last year and imo was one of Keim's most brilliant moves---if Freeney had not been signed, last year's team would not have won the NFC West and may not have even qualified for the playoffs.

If this team had Freeney, it would enable the coaches to, at times, rush Chandler Jones from the inside, which has been a significant problem for the Cardinals this year. Not only haven't the DTs in the 4 man front been making sacks, they are not athletic enough to get off blocks and prevent athletic QB from escaping the pocket.

I guess I am one of the few who actually understand and appreciate Keim's draft choices. I still think NK can be special, if properly coached. Brandon Williams has all the physical skills coaches want in an NFL CB. I know how high the Patriots were of Williams---they thought he could be their Malcolm Butler part II. In addition, I believe he could be a good kickoff and punt returner when give the chance. I remain high on Harlan Miller, too, whom I feel has the "it" factor as a Captain Munnerlyn type of CB. Evan Boehm and Cole Toner were real bright spots in the pre-season. And I was very excited about Marqui Christian because (a) he relishes the physical part of the game and (b) he's a quick twitch kind of athlete---all he need to do is get stronger and a little more seasoned and he will be a good NFL FS.

What I do not like is how the young players are being coached and brought along. BA has recently said he no longer expects anything from rookies anymore---which, again, in this day and age, he is counting out 1/8th of his 53 man roster by doing so. All or at least most of this year's rookies could and should have been groomed for STs---but the coaches haven't done so. For example, Marqui Christian should have been one of the top tacklers on STs.

As for Andre Ellington, you and I will never agree. To me he is the Ted Ginn (Cardinals' version) of the offense.

And when I said the team had "all the skill players back from last year"...I said this about the offense...skill players are QBs, RBs, WRs TEs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Every coach has his own unique style and quirks. I am quite certain there are/were players who took issue with guys like Belicheck, Landry, Knoll, Walsh, Carroll, etc... I will admit that there are some things about BA's style that don't sit well with me. But, I can say the same about every damn coach. In the end, BA has put up a franchise record pace of W's during his short tenure here in AZ. So, for all his warts, he's doing something well enough to win (up until this season) at an above average rate, a rate that had us in the post season twice in his first 3 seasons (the season we didn't make the playoffs we won 10 games), last season playing in the NFC Championship game...
All coaches...all leaders, hit moments in their career where the "test" gets amped. This season, BA and his style are being tested like never before since he's been in AZ. Are the results thus far this season solely attributable to him? Of course not...though, his fingerprints are everywhere for sure. But Smoke's sickle cell issues are not due to BA's style. Iupati's anke, Badger's knee and shoulder, Floyd's hands becoming feet condition, JJ Nelson regressing, Minter being Minter, Mathis going down, CJ2K going down, Shipley starting when he should be on the practice squad, Veldheer going down...

All that said, and as I have been saying SINCE CAMP - something wasn't right about BA from the get-go. This team and its' leader have been "off" since the summer... Aside from the Tampa Bay game, I can hardly think of one time since camp (including preseason), where I felt this team was locked in. Now that can and should be brought to BA's feet... As the leader, it is ultimately up to him to diagnose whatever the issue(s) is, and then develop the conditions that would lead to the remediation of the issue(s). That has not at all happened and, in a curious twist, BA has sounded as if he is shirking all responsibility for the "chemistry" issue by blaming the players. That is not what I look for in a leader - even if there are morsels of truth - which there are... As the leader of the team, my opinion would be that BA should take the bullets, take ownership and yes - ACCOUNTABILITY when speaking to the media. Behind closed doors with the team en masse or one-on-one, he can then call out the players (or coaches), who are not being accountable. But to say to the media that "this is on the players...coaches don't fix locker rooms..." - IMHO is just not cool.
And, in terms of his loyalty to other coaches - the only one that really stands out to me is Amos Jones. I honestly can't begin to understand why BA continues to give Jones a pass, while calling out players. That is truly bad form.

Mitch - I agree with your assessment of Goodwin. And not sure what you are saying about Bettcher? if you're saying he should never be a Head Coach as well, I'm not there on him and believe it's far too early to make that judgment...
As for Keim, like BA this season has and will continue to test him like he's never been tested before as a GM. It should be incredibly riveting to see how Keim deals with not only what is left of this season, but Free Agency and the draft. I believe the Cards have 22 FA's to deal with? Should be fascinating and an incredible challenge for Keim...

IMHO, I believe this team - sadly, is poised for a period of regression. I think the odds this Sunday for a frightening blow-out at the hands of Cousins and the Skins are far greater than they are for a win.
And if that happens, the remaining 4 games will likely be nothing more than a sad, pathetic display as so man of the Free Agents will do all they can not to get injured...
In 2017, why would we believe this team would be a post season contender? Huge player turnover will take place. The holes at ILB will likely still be there. CB #2 will be fixed - how?? Will Brandon Williams rise to the challenge after being so bad this season?? Not likely. Palmer and Fitz, should they return, will be another year older and really, what are they playing for at this stage?

Anyway, I'll be at the game Sunday taking it all in and hoping my gut feelings are entirely unfounded!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great post, 82. Well written and honest assessment.

I am not saying that Bettcher should never be a head coach---but this is only his 5th year coaching in the NFL. I think BA is the only HC on the planet who would have promoted him to DC after 1 year as a personal assistant to Chuck Pagano and two years as OLB coach of the Cardinals, especially with DCs like Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz available.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
BA is loyal and stubborn to a fault. It's one of the big reasons he was run out of Pittsburgh and probably had something to do with not getting a HC job for so long in the NFL.

I love the guy and he is already the best coach we have ever had. I am willing to take the good (last 3 years) with the bad (this year). It's the same with Carson Palmer. He had a career year last year...best year in the last 13 years by far. We can all remember his first year in Arizona with 24 TD's and 22 Int's...sucked big time. Again...he is the best QB we have had since Warner but even Warner had people wanting to cut him in 2005 and 2006. At the end of the day, Warner played for 13 seasons and only had 4-5 of them that would be considered top 10 material (3 in Arizona).

This team should have performed at a higher level this year. We already lost some games that shouldn't have been lost. Agreed with someone else in that it just seems like the team is off this year.

BA is back next year and so is Palmer.
We need a decent back-up QB with a chance to take over for Palmer at some point and a young QB to groom.
I don't know Amos but our ST's really suck. I don't understand how Butler is still employed. The only excuse (BS) that I heard is Catanzaro likes him holding, which is total rubbish. You can't have a crappy punter as a holder. If we don't look at the guy Atlanta is going to cut (Matt Wile), then it's really a bizarre situation that I wish someone would confront BA about.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great post, 82. Well written and honest assessment.

I am not saying that Bettcher should never be a head coach---but this is only his 5th year coaching in the NFL. I think BA is the only HC on the planet who would have promoted him to DC after 1 year as a personal assistant to Chuck Pagano and two years as OLB coach of the Cardinals, especially with DCs like Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz available.
This is hilarious. You were Bettcher's #1 promoter during the coaching search!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If you are going to analyze the draft, you need to account for the lack of a second round pick due to the addition of Chandler Jones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you are going to analyze the draft, you need to account for the lack of a second round pick due to the addition of Chandler Jones.

We have to thank Belichick from saving Keim from himself. We could have ended up with a D-III TE had we had a second round pick thus making our draft even worse.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The Patriots already used that 2nd-round pick in the 2016 draft. We do indeed have our own 2nd rounder this season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
This is hilarious. You were Bettcher's #1 promoter during the coaching search!

I wasn't promoting Bettcher---I predicted that he would be BA's choice and why he would be in this thread called "Bettcher Bottom Dollar":

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/bettcher-bottom-dollar.217776/

Then I accompanied this article with the following caveat (it's in window #2 of the thread):

* BA&SK know they are rolling the dice here and opening themselves and Bettcher up to some potentially heated criticism, especially when there were a few very successful veteran DCs available this year. However, what the hiring from within means is that BA&SK will do everything they can to help Bettcher be successful vis-a-vis the moves they make in adding the new coaches and players. There will be a concerted focus this off-season on getting the right pieces to fit on defense.

I have repeatedly maintained that Bettcher, due to his lack of experience, wasn't qualified for the job and that it was going to be difficult for him to command the respect of the players and the other, more veteran defensive assistants on the staff.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I wasn't promoting Bettcher---I predicted that he would be BA's choice and why he would be in this thread called "Bettcher Bottom Dollar":

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/bettcher-bottom-dollar.217776/

Then I accompanied this article with the following caveat (it's in window #2 of the thread):

* BA&SK know they are rolling the dice here and opening themselves and Bettcher up to some potentially heated criticism, especially when there were a few very successful veteran DCs available this year. However, what the hiring from within means is that BA&SK will do everything they can to help Bettcher be successful vis-a-vis the moves they make in adding the new coaches and players. There will be a concerted focus this off-season on getting the right pieces to fit on defense.

I have repeatedly maintained that Bettcher, due to his lack of experience, wasn't qualified for the job and that it was going to be difficult for him to command the respect of the players and the other, more veteran defensive assistants on the staff.

K9 unless you can provide some evidence Mitch is right, he was not promoting Bettcher. If you can provide some evidence I would like to read it.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bettcher isn't even the reason this team sucks. Pretty sure we can look at other coaches, like Goodwin and Amos Jones, those are the mofos we need to examine. Bettcher gets a pass this year, even if they are crap.

Hell, why hasn't anyone called out our Oline coach. Ya'll did a good job of that under Whiz right? He's sucks too.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's Mitch's way, he throws out a thousand names and when one of them sticks he says I told you, I knew all along.

(Edit: though usually it's one of his minions or little ******* that says, you were so right! Without even realizing he put up about a dozen candidates. Ignorant people are amusing. Mitch doesn't bother me, but his little minions are irritating, they have no thought for themselves)

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's Mitch's way, he throws out a thousand names and when one of them sticks he says I told you, I knew all along.

(Edit: though usually it's one of his minions or little ******* that says, you were so right! Without even realizing he put up about a dozen candidates. Ignorant people are amusing. Mitch doesn't bother me, but his little minions are irritating, they have no thought for themselves)

Darkside, you are such a great contributing member here but these types of posts tarnish that big time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson