Cam Johnson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't Cam's deal by itself. It's paying a guy who doesn't exactly bring what you are missing. He is a luxury. So, with all the other contracts and slots you are trying to solidify and all those contracts together that is the longer-term problem for the Suns. If you have a new owner who doesn't care? That's different. If the new owner comes in here and wants to get under the Cap? This team is going to have a fire sale.

The way I look at it, Cam Johnson should be able to be easily traded if the Suns don't overpay by a huge sum.

Phoenix doesn't need more chemistry problems right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it, Cam Johnson should be able to be easily traded if the Suns don't overpay by a huge sum.

Phoenix doesn't need more chemistry problems right now.
I think much of that depends on Cam J and his team. Does he want to be a starter in this league? How much does he think he is worth in that role etc. You are comparing him to Brandon Clarke but he is expected to come off the bench from what I understand once Jackson returns. If Cam J and his agents want starter money? That may not fly in terms of a comparison. Clarke's role will be different.

Hopefully, Cam J's team is reasonable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think much of that depends on Cam J and his team. Does he want to be a starter in this league? How much does he think he is worth in that role etc. You are comparing him to Brandon Clarke but he is expected to come off the bench from what I understand once Jackson returns. If Cam J and his agents want starter money? That may not fly in terms of a comparison. Clarke's role will be different.

Hopefully, Cam J's team is reasonable.

I'm using Brandon Clarke as baseline number. Cam Johnson should be paid more.

However, if Clarke were on the Suns roster, he might be a starter as might Larry Nance Jr.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using Brandon Clarke as baseline number. Cam Johnson should be paid more.

However, if Clarke were on the Suns roster, he might be a starter as might Larry Nance Jr.
That's why I am saying the Suns are in a weird position. You are going to pay a guy more who doesn't bring what you are looking for than a guy like Clarke is going to come off the bench when Jackson gets back in the lineup but would likely start. I wouldn't want to be the Suns making this decision.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I am saying the Suns are in a weird position. You are going to pay a guy more who doesn't bring what you are looking for than a guy like Clarke is going to come off the bench when Jackson gets back in the lineup but would likely start. I wouldn't want to be the Suns making this decision.

The Suns put themselves in this position with the Jae Crowder situation. There might be more going on behind the scene that we don't know. The Suns operate too quietly for my taste at times.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns put themselves in this position with the Jae Crowder situation. There might be more going on behind the scene that we don't know. The Suns operate too quietly for my taste at times.
Not sure but it appears the Cam J situation may have forced their hand. If Cam J and his team thinks he is a starter and wouldn't be interested in returning to the Suns continuing to come off the bench? What choice did the Suns have if they want to keep him? I don't put that squarely on the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but it appears the Cam J situation may have forced their hand. If Cam J and his team thinks he is a starter and wouldn't be interested in returning to the Suns continuing to come off the bench? What choice did the Suns have if they want to keep him? I don't put that squarely on the Suns.

This is within the realm of possibility. If either one wants out, they should postpone their demand until later in the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NBA deadline to extend Cam Johnson is 3 pm today. I must say, I'm getting a bit anxious.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NBA deadline to extend Cam Johnson is 3 pm today. I must say, I'm getting a bit anxious.
I think it will get done. I am more worried about the aftermath of the salaries and what that does for trade prospects with Crowder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will get done. I am more worried about the aftermath of the salaries and what that does for trade prospects with Crowder.

I don't think the Cam Johnson negotiations impacts trading Jae Crowder unless he gets upset if they break down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The extension is all agent and front office stuff because Cam Johnson is out there practicing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Cam Johnson negotiations impacts trading Jae Crowder unless he gets upset if they break down.
Sure it will. Depending on how much his contract is it could impact who we are willing to take back in return for Crowder in terms of contract and money left on those contracts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure it will. Depending on how much his contract is it could impact who we are willing to take back in return for Crowder in terms of contract and money left on those contracts.

Jae Crowder's contract will be off the books when the Cam Johnson extension begins. They are really separate matters, unless the Suns were keeping Crowder.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder's contract will be off the books when the Cam Johnson extension begins. They are really separate matters, unless the Suns were keeping Crowder.
Crowder's contract doesn't matter if you trade him. You only have to make the salaries work. I am more worried about contracts you get back might be on the books for longer. Who knows. Either way, Cam's contract will still impact overall salary. Who knows if the new owner even wants to be over the cap. That's why I said the new ownership matters. If you overpay Cam J you still have to account for that when deciding what to do with the future of other players or trades.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder's contract doesn't matter if you trade him. You only have to make the salaries work. I am more worried about contracts you get back might be on the books for longer. Who knows. Either way, Cam's contract will still impact overall salary. Who knows if the new owner even wants to be over the cap. That's why I said the new ownership matters. If you overpay Cam J you still have to account for that when deciding what to do with the future of other players or trades.

I agree, the Suns have to factor future salary into any trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the 3 pm deadline and no news about a Cam Johnson extension.

Apparently it didn't get done unless we hear something soon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rookie extension for Cam Johnson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another restricted free agency will play out with Cam Johnson. I wasn't looking forward to it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So no extension to Crowder and now his replacement. I think Jones' hands are tied here with making moves due to the Sarver cloud still hanging over us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rookie extension for Cam Johnson.

He might be gone after his contract it up. I have a feeling now the Suns are going to try and get a traditional PF. If they land one? Cam J's time in a Suns uniform just started a countdown. Sounds to me if something couldn't get done? He was asking for a good chunk of money.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prediction...

We end up signing Cam Johnson for something like 110 million over 4 years next summer.

But hey... deep pocket future owner!

Fingers crossed...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He might be gone after his contract it up. I have a feeling now the Suns are going to try and get a traditional PF. If they land one? Cam J's time in a Suns uniform just started a countdown. Sounds to me if something couldn't get done? He was asking for a good chunk of money.
For Suns ownership perspective, I think not doing anything going into a sale when his rights are still completely protected by restricted free agency makes sense. Obviously locking him up cheap would have been a positive, but short of that it's probably better to just punt and let the new owners decide.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can tell you right now this isn’t a good look when it comes to players around the league. Making guys go into there last year with no guarantee isn’t a good look especially when they’ve produced

What a horrible fail of an offseason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard