Calais Campbell and several ex-Cards in The U scandal

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
not surprised, that stuff goes on at every major college program and I don't think, other than when a media person asking about it, it weighs on their mind one bit.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Not saying it is not wrong, or bad.

But, are people really shocked that his has been going on ?

I am about as shocked about all this money and kickbacks in college sports as I was when I "discovered" wrestling is fake.

You must be registered for see images attach

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some schools are better at it than others. The NCAA puts a blind eye to most of it until it gets to big and they actually have to do something. Also, don't piss off boosters or people who are associated with them.

That pretty much sums it up.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I think this kind of thing happens at every school, but maybe not to this extent. Seems like a very Miami take on it - Hookers, Yachts & VIP rooms.
I heard this morning that the lawyers in charge of settling the ponzi scheme money will go after some of these guys and that there could also be tax implications.
I think some of the guys that took big money do have reason to be worried.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Rolle and Wilfork were the big winners in the free money giveaway.

Side note, can you imagine if Terrelle Pryor had gone to Miami? It's bad enough what he was doing at TOSU(more in the news today taking carloans etc) but imagine if he'd been at Miami with Shapiro around.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Looks like Rolle and Wilfork were the big winners in the free money giveaway.

Side note, can you imagine if Terrelle Pryor had gone to Miami? It's bad enough what he was doing at TOSU(more in the news today taking carloans etc) but imagine if he'd been at Miami with Shapiro around.

Imagine Cam Newton or Reggie Bush.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine Cam Newton or Reggie Bush.

Any of the 3 would be in federal trouble now.

Side note that's still my biggest complaint in the OJ Mayo and Bush cases, that despite repeated stories that the Feds were getting involved, to date neither one has faced federal charges. Fact is they got money under the table that they didn't declare as income, that's tax evasion. In Mayo's case there was also the very likely situation that he was being paid from a phony charity setup for Sickle Cell Anemia, they were drawing cash from that fund to pay Mayo, which is outright Federal Fraud(the charity had tax exempt status).

If "they" really want to prove they want to get rid of this stuff in college sports pursuing federal charges against guys who get caught is one great way to do it.

What happened to Bush and Mayo is trivial compared to what it could have been if they'd been brought up on Federal charges, there's no logic to why they weren't if an average citizen got tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars he or she didn't declare, the Feds wouldn't let it go.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What is really amazing is that Shapiro is upset because he got caught cheating people, went to prison, and now nobody wants to associate with him.

What an egotistical scumbag.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Lieutenant-----Campbell is one of the few from the U who doesn't fit the waay over the top, "I am all about me, me, me" syndrome that seems to define most of the really good talent from the 'U'. He just might be one of the more humble kids that couldn't resist the offerings that must have loomed huge to poor kids who never had a dime to call their own. He might have simply given in to peer pressure.

That said however, I don't give a damn what they do to the over the top brash types, who in my opinion would turn right around again tomorrow and do the same thing if given the chance. It is just sad that there are going to be SOME really nice kids caught up in this mess.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What is sad is all the schools that don't cheat haven't got a chance, that makes the BYU and Utahs that much more fantastic.

While all the "popular" universities have their head in the sand, AZ in the air lined up for miles down the beach, Those who play with honor and sportsmanship should be able to walk down that beach with a bat and use their sacks as pinata's.

they should strip every national championship for way back that list. Yea it's criminal on the players part, kids or not. 14 year olds are tried as adults for crimes, These guys walk away with millions and a smile.

I'm a long time removed and don't care, BUT I LOVE THE U!

U SUCK!

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is sad is all the schools that don't cheat haven't got a chance, that makes the BYU and Utahs that much more fantastic.

While all the "popular" universities have their head in the sand, AZ in the air lined up for miles down the beach, Those who play with honor and sportsmanship should be able to walk down that beach with a bat and use their sacks as pinata's.

they should strip every national championship for way back that list. Yea it's criminal on the players part, kids or not. 14 year olds are tried as adults for crimes, These guys walk away with millions and a smile.

I'm a long time removed and don't care, BUT I LOVE THE U!

U SUCK!

Seriously, how can you say that the same isn't going on at BYU or Utah? Because Warren Jeffs and the likes are such stand up guys?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Seriously, how can you say that the same isn't going on at BYU or Utah? Because Warren Jeffs and the likes are such stand up guys?

For the same reason you can't say it is. We don't have any evidence. I don't believe every school is still doing this even though it was really prevalent before SMU received the Death Penalty.

The old way of paying kids was what OU got caught doing a couple of years ago. Having booster hire the players and pay them for not working.

I don't know why the guys with millions haven't figured out the easiest way to scam the system. Simply start an Independent Minor League Baseball team and sign any guy you want to come to play football for your University to a minor league contract.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...14-million-richer-still-clemsons-starting-qb/

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not a good thing...in 25 words or less how does this affect the Cardinals...

short answer...not at all.

That is one question that was asked: might it affect the former Miami players in the NFL ability to perform this season? And to paraphrase what you said, most likely.... not at all.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I for one am surprised. I am surprised that anyone would dump so much money into the suck-hole that was Miami Football over the last several years.

Shouldn't he have gotten a little more bang for his buck?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of the 3 would be in federal trouble now.

Side note that's still my biggest complaint in the OJ Mayo and Bush cases, that despite repeated stories that the Feds were getting involved, to date neither one has faced federal charges. Fact is they got money under the table that they didn't declare as income, that's tax evasion. In Mayo's case there was also the very likely situation that he was being paid from a phony charity setup for Sickle Cell Anemia, they were drawing cash from that fund to pay Mayo, which is outright Federal Fraud(the charity had tax exempt status).

If "they" really want to prove they want to get rid of this stuff in college sports pursuing federal charges against guys who get caught is one great way to do it.

What happened to Bush and Mayo is trivial compared to what it could have been if they'd been brought up on Federal charges, there's no logic to why they weren't if an average citizen got tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars he or she didn't declare, the Feds wouldn't let it go.

How is it tax evasion to receive gifts? (for most) Maybe you can argue Rolle/Wilfork as they received money over the legal limit of gifts without declaring......

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
I for one am surprised. I am surprised that anyone would dump so much money into the suck-hole that was Miami Football over the last several years.

Shouldn't he have gotten a little more bang for his buck?

He was co-owner of a sports agency. He wanted his company to represent those players when they went into the NFL.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it tax evasion to receive gifts? (for most) Maybe you can argue Rolle/Wilfork as they received money over the legal limit of gifts without declaring......

I'll try to find it for you but this came out years ago when the mayo stuff broke. One of the CPA's on a UCLA board said that when the "gift" is clearly associated with something such as playing for the favorite school of the guy giving the gift, the tax implications are totally different.

The gist was giving a family member or friend a gift is taxed differently than saying hey that was a great game you played here's 25 grand. He said it was one of those instances where the intent of the IRS was to dissuade doing what Shapiro did.

Sort of like how they at one point passed a law requiring some form of stamp be purchased for selling drugs, even illegal ones. They didn't really expect dealers to buy the stamps, but when arrested, it allowed them to press federal tax evasion charges on them for not buying the stamps.

I would add both Bush and mayo got way more than the allowable gift amount, but the CPA guy on BRO said it was quite clear to him that those sort of payments to players were supposed to be taxable at amounts below the gift threshold.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With Goodell slapping that five game suspension on Tyrelle today, why can he not pose a similar plan on an NFL player. That is probably in violation of some ethics clause. Oops did not mean to use ethics with Miami athletics. Sorry.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
With Goodell slapping that five game suspension on Tyrelle today, why can he not pose a similar plan on an NFL player. That is probably in violation of some ethics clause. Oops did not mean to use ethics with Miami athletics. Sorry.

Never thought I'd see the NFL imposing NCAA sanctions on players. Unreal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see the NFL imposing NCAA sanctions on players. Unreal.

I don't think he really imposed a sanction in the traditional sense. I believe this was more of a negotiation than anything. Pryor didn't really qualify for the Supplemental Draft because he still retained eligibility. His scum-sucking agent then had him confess to additional violations that, once investigated, would have resulted in a loss of amateur standing. The NFL could have easily taken the stance that he still didn't qualify until he actually lost his standing but in order to avoid court action both sides reached a compromise that involved a 5 game suspension. At least, that's my interpretation (maybe my guess) as to what went down.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think he really imposed a sanction in the traditional sense. I believe this was more of a negotiation than anything. Pryor didn't really qualify for the Supplemental Draft because he still retained eligibility. His scum-sucking agent then had him confess to additional violations that, once investigated, would have resulted in a loss of amateur standing. The NFL could have easily taken the stance that he still didn't qualify until he actually lost his standing but in order to avoid court action both sides reached a compromise that involved a 5 game suspension. At least, that's my interpretation (maybe my guess) as to what went down.

Steve

You don't find it odd that a 5 game suspension is exactly what was going to be imposed on the Ohio State players?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ddockett DARNELL DOCKETT
Dear Florida Football recruits. Now that UM will go on probation till year 3096 yall feel free to go join the best school in Fla, "FSU" thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard