Budda requests trade

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this isn’t about the player anymore,

the agent determines the game of salaries

nobody in corporate America knows what your coworkers make except those responsible to pay or raise salaries

the only way the agent makes money is the initial signing of the contract

the agents created this mess which left unchecked will destroy the game of football

back in the day, the public rarely knew a players salaries and my guess few actual agents were involved

I hate having to either glorify or trash a player every damn year because of a person who has zero value to the game itself

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this isn’t about the player anymore,

the agent determines the game of salaries

nobody in corporate America knows what your coworkers make except those responsible to pay or raise salaries

the only way the agent makes money is the initial signing of the contract

the agents created this mess which left unchecked will destroy the game of football

back in the day, the public rarely knew a players salaries and my guess few actual agents were involved

I hate having to either glorify or trash a player every damn year because of a person who has zero value to the game itself

What mess?

1. No owner has to accept a player's demands through his agent. It's their willingness to pay that dictates salaries.
2. Player's salaries are one of many expenses in running a team, and the Cap system dictates the total compensation.
3. The game is safe as long as the American sports public is prepared to watch and listen on various platforms.
4. Agents work for the player, not vice versa.
4. I stand with the little guy in negotiations between Billionaires and Millionaires.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What mess?

1. No owner has to accept a player's demands through his agent. It's their willingness to pay that dictates salaries.
2. Player's salaries are one of many expenses in running a team, and the Cap system dictates the total compensation.
3. The game is safe as long as the American sports public is prepared to watch and listen on various platforms.
4. Agents work for the player, not vice versa.
4. I stand with the little guy in negotiations between Billionaires and Millionaires.
I despise the greed for money regardless of how it’s framed

what we are witnessing is a bitter fight between rich people as there are no little guys in this fight

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The constant defending of an organization, a very inept one at that, is so embarrassing. How does anyone feel fine doing that?

Because to them, attacking the clowns that have historically run this org is equal to attacking the logo on the side of the helmet. People can't seem to separate the two. They can't seem to fathom that you can be a fan, and still be critical. People who get angry about athletes trying to bank every last penny possible from dudes who wipe their butts with hundred dollar bills is HILARIOUS.

People, stop taking a player grabbing for the cash as an affront to your team.

Perhaps all contracts should be 100% guaranteed, players never get more than a short term deal, say 3 years. Negotiations cannot begin until the second half of the season prior to the end of a contract, cap charges clear while a player is on IR or unable to play. I dont know...

There has to be an answer.

The constant churn of salaries going thru the roof, owners not being able to keep from punching themselves in the nuts, and players constantly using social media to have temper tantrums is just bad for the sport.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. He was overpaid as the best safety, he had no problem with that. The next 2 years are the counterbalance to that for the team. Not even that, he's paid perfectly fairly.

Budda starting to sound like that needy friend of your wife that's always posting needy messages on Facebook crazing attention.
This belief is A-OK with me. But man, we are VERY vocal about our opinions of players going for the cash.

Get what you can Buddha, I know its all business, and politics, and leveraging. I'm not so naive to think that you wont go all in for your team once youre signed.

It doesnt matter how I feel about paying him more. (I dont think we should). But we're debating his methods. I have ZERO problem with it. The Org will, at some point, start to trash him if they do not intend to extend him. Or, they will stay quiet, let Buddha do his thing, and then everyone will get back to work for the next year or so. Or, they will find a team that wants him and capitalize on his desire for more guaranteed money. Its that simple. Its not personal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This belief is A-OK with me. But man, we are VERY vocal about our opinions of players going for the cash.

Get what you can Buddha, I know its all business, and politics, and leveraging. I'm not so naive to think that you wont go all in for your team once youre signed.

It doesnt matter how I feel about paying him more. (I dont think we should). But we're debating his methods. I have ZERO problem with it. The Org will, at some point, start to trash him if they do not intend to extend him. Or, they will stay quiet, let Buddha do his thing, and then everyone will get back to work for the next year or so. Or, they will find a team that wants him and capitalize on his desire for more guaranteed money. Its that simple. Its not personal.

It's his methods I don't like.

Cryptic social media posts that get people wondering what you mean are for 17 year old girls and drama queens. If you want to beef about your contract then straight up say it.

He's the 7th highest paid safety and he's about the 7th best safety talent wise give or take. Budda has 7 INT's over 6 years. Minkah has 17 over 6. When he gets his hands on the ball more the money will come. He's fairly paid after being overpaid. He got a good deal already.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's his methods I don't like.

Cryptic social media posts that get people wondering what you mean are for 17 year old girls and drama queens. If you want to beef about your contract then straight up say it.

He's the 7th highest paid safety and he's about the 7th best safety talent wise give or take. Budda has 7 INT's over 6 years. Minkah has 17 over 6. When he gets his hands on the ball more the money will come. He's fairly paid after being overpaid. He got a good deal already.

Players don't care about their pay equity, nor their reputation amongst a bunch of couch jockeys like us. Do you think Buddha looks into the mirror and says "you know what? I play at about the 7th highest level for safeties. My pay is fair."??? Hell no. He sees 2 years left, on a team punting for essentially those two years, watching his prime slip away for an org content to NOT try and win for a spell. And none of its guaranteed. Eff that.

They are using the tools they have to get every last penny they can, while they can. I don't like it, but it affects me in no way whatsoever.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because to them, attacking the clowns that have historically run this org is equal to attacking the logo on the side of the helmet. People can't seem to separate the two. They can't seem to fathom that you can be a fan, and still be critical. People who get angry about athletes trying to bank every last penny possible from dudes who wipe their butts with hundred dollar bills is HILARIOUS.

People, stop taking a player grabbing for the cash as an affront to your team.

Perhaps all contracts should be 100% guaranteed, players never get more than a short term deal, say 3 years. Negotiations cannot begin until the second half of the season prior to the end of a contract, cap charges clear while a player is on IR or unable to play. I dont know...

There has to be an answer.

The constant churn of salaries going thru the roof, owners not being able to keep from punching themselves in the nuts, and players constantly using social media to have temper tantrums is just bad for the sport.
Exactamundo.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The constant defending of an organization, a very inept one at that, is so embarrassing. How does anyone feel fine doing that?
You can criticize a player’s actions without defending the organization.

The Cardinals over paid Baker two years ago and now he’s whining like a spoiled brat

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players don't care about their pay equity, nor their reputation amongst a bunch of couch jockeys like us. Do you think Buddha looks into the mirror and says "you know what? I play at about the 7th highest level for safeties. My pay is fair."??? Hell no. He sees 2 years left, on a team punting for essentially those two years, watching his prime slip away for an org content to NOT try and win for a spell. And none of its guaranteed. Eff that.

They are using the tools they have to get every last penny they can, while they can. I don't like it, but it affects me in no way whatsoever.

I think if I'd been made the highest paid safety in the league at the time and happily signed a contract that said this is what I will get paid for 4 years and this is how the guarantees are structured I wouldn't be moaning about it on socials 2 years later.

Frankly, I thought Budda was better than this. This is pure diva behavior. If he wants a new deal or new guarantees then go to Monti and ask for it or ask to be traded and say you won't play. Pick a lane and handle it like a man.

The way he has handled it with his cryptic social media posts and the suggestions that he's somehow disrespected because he's now only the 7th highest paid safety is weak.

It effects me in no way either, it does effect my opinion of Budda though. I'd have far less issue with him if he just forced a trade rather than playing silly games.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I think if I'd been made the highest paid safety in the league at the time and happily signed a contract that said this is what I will get paid for 4 years and this is how the guarantees are structured I wouldn't be moanning about it on socials 2 years later.

Frankly, I thought Budda was better than this. This is pure diva behavior. If he wants a new deal or new guarantees then go to Monti and ask for it or ask to be traded and say you won't play. Pick a lane and handle it like a man.

The way he has handled it with his cryptic social media posts and the suggestions that he's somehow disrespected because he's now only the 7th highest paid safety is weak.

It effects me in no way either, it does effect my opinion of Budda though. I'd have far less issue with him if he just forced a trade rather than playing silly games.
I'll disagree strongly with this because I don't think any of us can even comprehend what our lives or personalities would be under such drastically different circumstances. Your personal perspective would be radically different, for instance, as would your involvement in and knowledge of the NFL experience and culture.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this tweet early this morning...went back to share it, but he now deleted it...lol I don't think the comments went how he thought they would go.

You must be registered for see images attach
What were the gist of the responses?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll disagree strongly with this because I don't think any of us can even comprehend what our lives or personalities would be under such drastically different circumstances. Your personal perspective would be radically different, for instance, as would your involvement in and knowledge of the NFL experience and culture.

He signed a contract to be the highest paid safety in the league, at a time when nobody considered him the best safety in the league. When he put pen to paper he knew that he would not stay the highest paid for 4 years, he knew his guarantees would run out after 2 years, he knew he had never had a winning season with the Cardinals.

Nothing has changed. He knew all these things when he signed.

If he was the best in the league, like Julio Jones was when he was surpassed, or Lane Johnson was when he was surpassed, then I would have a little more sympathy for him. If the market had changed and safety salaries suddenly sky rocketed then I would have some sympathy for him. But he isn't the best, and they haven't rocketed.

If anything he's lucky because safeties got boned in FA this year. Jordan Poyer got $6.25m. Even Jessie Bates $16m deal adjusted for cap inflation is worse than Budda got. If the Cards cut him today I'm not sure he'd get the money he's on right now.

He's got nothing to complain about. Perfectly fair, if not overly generous, contract.

Stout

Reaction score
He signed a contract to be the highest paid safety in the league, at a time when nobody considered him the best safety in the league. When he put pen to paper he knew that he would not stay the highest paid for 4 years, he knew his guarantees would run out after 2 years, he knew he had never had a winning season with the Cardinals.

Nothing has changed. He knew all these things when he signed.

If he was the best in the league, like Julio Jones was when he was surpassed, or Lane Johnson was when he was surpassed, then I would have a little more sympathy for him. If the market had changed and safety salaries suddenly sky rocketed then I would have some sympathy for him. But he isn't the best, and they haven't rocketed.

If anything he's lucky because safeties got boned in FA this year. Jordan Poyer got $6.25m. Even Jessie Bates $16m deal adjusted for cap inflation is worse than Budda got. If the Cards cut him today I'm not sure he'd get the money he's on right now.

He's got nothing to complain about. Perfectly fair, if not overly generous, contract.
All of which is a perfectly fair and valid opinion. Saying you'd just shut up and accept the situation were you in his shoes is a whole different ball game, so to speak.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In all of professional sports FB players are the worst off. Much of their salaries are not guaranteed and they often leave the game with broken bodies. Agents call the shots when it comes to getting their clients (and themselves) more money, even if they (agents) work for the player. So, as fans, we criticize the player for not being happy with the contract they recently signed. However, the player knows that they often can be cut when the team feels they are too expensive.

This is nothing new. Go watch the movie, "How Green Was My/The Valley". A story about Welsh coal miners.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What were the gist of the responses?
Players on his side...some/most fan comments similar to here, though, questioning the initial disrespect part. I think it was just his idea of damage control and it still didn't go well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all due respect to budda, he is acting like a primadonna with his rant, in a rebuilding year the face of the franchise (with 2 years left of his contract) shouldn't act in this way
I understand him pushing for a trade and get a chance to compete in a more favorable stage but crying cause he thinks to be underestimate and underpaid doesn't make him look good

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Baker is a nice player that gets attention because he's undersized and makes some splash plays and inspirational speeches, but paying him as a top safety is absolutely the wrong move. Clearly while his speeches are inspirational for fans, they've had no material impact the last 2 years.

Overpaying at non-premium positions for non-playmakers has been a benchmark of the Keim error, err era.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I look at it the opposite. The Cardinals made this mess not Budda. The Cards decided to go on Hard Knocks, not Budda. Budda gets everyone talking about his part on the show and is a darling of the show. The Cards then start telling their players that they want 22 Budda Bakers on their team. New Coaches and a new GM come onboard and say they are looking for guys like Budda Baker to build their franchise. He's the model of player the Cardinals want to bring in. If I am Budda and you are basing your whole franchise philosophy around me, I'm thinking, "Show me the money!!!!!!!"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose