Bucks @ Suns Saturday Finals game thread 7-17-2021 Game - Game 5

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting stat:

This is only the third time in franchise history where the Suns won the first two games of a playoff series only to lose the next two.

The other two times?

1. 1994 Western Conference Semifinals. Suns win the first two games in Houston, only to lose the next three, and ultimately the series in seven games.

2. 1993 Western Conference Semifinals. Suns win the first two at home against the Spurs, then lose the next two in San Antonio, then win two straight to take the series in six games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting stat:

This is only the third time in franchise history where the Suns won the first two games of a playoff series only to lose the next two.

The other two times?

1. 1994 Western Conference Semifinals. Suns win the first two games in Houston, only to lose the next three, and ultimately the series in seven games.

2. 1993 Western Conference Semifinals. Suns win the first two at home against the Spurs, then lose the next two in San Antonio, then win two straight to take the series in six games.

that 1993 game was one of Barkley’s epic carry the Suns moments during the Finals run. We’re gonna need something like that again from either CP3 or Book if we’re gonna win tonight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got a lot of "nobody believes in us" mojo for this game.

The Ringer NBA podcasts have basically been a coronation for Giannis since game 2. They (and I believe the rest of the national media) are all in on the narrative that the Bucks took their lumps in prior playoffs and will finally get to the promised land because of the tough losses they endured. It is a nice narrative but the suns can change it beginning tomorrow!

I hope Monty is pushing all of buttons because we need everything for two more wins.

yeah... the national media has swung hard like a pendulum. The annoying thing to me is listening to people say if the Bucks win it, people will remember this as the year Giannis really came of age and took his place with the greatest ever... yet if the Suns win, it will be because “of a weird year and injuries.”

thats a joke.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
yeah... the national media has swung hard like a pendulum. The annoying thing to me is listening to people say if the Bucks win it, people will remember this as the year Giannis really came of age and took his place with the greatest ever... yet if the Suns win, it will be because “of a weird year and injuries.”

thats a joke.
The funny thing is Milwaukee was getting blown off the court vs Brooklyn before Kyrie got injured. They had nobody that could score besides KD for the rest of the series. Their 2nd leading scorer in that series was a mid-season buyout pickup.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that 1993 game was one of Barkley’s epic carry the Suns moments during the Finals run. We’re gonna need something like that again from either CP3 or Book if we’re gonna win tonight.

I'm thinking one of our role players will be the key tonight. Hope Monty uses the bench early and often

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’ll I’m convinced we’re winning game 5 and I’m designating our theme song as “The middle” by Jimmy Eat World. This awesome band has already performed at halftime during game 2 of the finals. We won and reached the “middle” point only needing two more wins.

Fittingly enough, this band was formed in Mesa, Arizona in 1993 (ironically the year the Suns lost in the finals).

We’ll we’re in the middle of the ride right now with the series ******* at 2-2 and we’re all feeling nervous since we’ve lost the last two.

I find the lyrics very appropriate at this point in the series with the national media doubting the Suns:

Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head, you feel left out
Or looked down on
Just try your best
Try everything you can
And don't you worry what they tell themselves
When you're away
It just takes some time
Phoenix Suns you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be all right, all right
Hey, you know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own (On your own)
So don't buy in
Live right now
Yeah, just be yourself
It doesn't matter if it's good enough (Good enough)
For someone else
It just takes some time
It just takes some time

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

#RallyTheValley
Cool post!

Awesome song...and very fitting for sure....just gotta "be ourselves" and everything will be alright, one way or another. I can live with any outcome as long as we play our game without fear...

Just gotta believe...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I guess this could put Jeff Van Gundy's claims to the test. He's hyped Thanasis' impact all series despite him not playing. He's been crediting him for helping keep Giannis focused on the game and out of his head.

At the very least it should keep JVG from gushing over him every time he's shown on the bench.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can beat anyteam at full strength suns know how massive this gm is.... im praying they come playing like the bubble suns....

Please please paul do better tonight

If suns lose not sure i can watch gm in Milwaukee to stressful as a fan

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kellan Olson

@KellanOlson

·
26s

Monty Williams said he got a text from Doc Rivers about a week ago telling him that "pressure is a privilege." Monty also dropped a new Monty-ism (I think) that "you're not gonna find greatness on a beach. You're going to find it in the struggle."

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NBA Communications

@NBAPR
· 6m
NBA official James Williams will serve in the role of the umpire for tonight’s Game 5 of the NBA Finals, replacing Sean Wright, who is unable to officiate due to the league’s health and safety protocols.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the Bucks not having a full coaching staff tonight.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave