Bucks @ Suns Saturday Finals game thread 7-17-2021 Game - Game 5

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the bucks are WAY bigger than us. I'm not sure how we combat this.
By having a couple good complete games with hustle and crisp passing (to limit turnovers)... We're being out hustled. That's a problem on more levels than just size. When we know we're outsized and we don't have guys who want to at least play with physicality then it makes the biggest difference. We don't need to out rebound them..just balance it out and we're fine. We don't have guys doing that on the boards the past two games it seems to me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mikal and Booker have to actually rebound. Letting a scrub small SG like Connaughton get 9 boards last night was pathetic.
The Suns have to also know when to crash the boards. The few times the Suns crashed the boards and nobody was at the top of key and it led to a bunch of Bucks fast breaks. As Ouchie pointed out if you are already down there? Box out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By having a couple good complete games with hustle and crisp passing (to limit turnovers)... We're being out hustled. That's a problem on more levels than just size. When we know we're outsized and we don't have guys who want to at least play with physicality then it makes the biggest difference. We don't need to out rebound them..just balance it out and we're fine. We don't have guys doing that on the boards the past two games it seems to me.

yup. They’re also getting all the 50/50 balls. We just didn’t show up to Milwaukee with enough force to steal a game.

last night should have been a slaughter. The Bucks were begging us multiple times to destroy them and we just never put pedal to the metal to run them off the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to also know when to crash the boards. The few times the Suns crashed the boards and nobody was at the top of key led to a bunch of Bucks fast breaks.

we’re getting killed on offensive rebounds. When we’re on D, everyone needs to be crashing and boxing out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to Phoenix sports radio isn’t nearly as fun today as it was last week.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
we’re getting killed on offensive rebounds. When we’re on D, everyone needs to be crashing and boxing out.
Monty mentioned that also they have to reduce the points off of fast breaks. I don't see how you can do both if the entire team is crashing the boards. You have to have someone staying back. The fast break points off of inbound passing is a different story. That is just inexcusable. That happened a few times too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty mentioned that also they have to reduce the points off of fast breaks. I don't see how you can do both if the entire team is crashing the boards. You have to have someone staying back. The fast break points off of inbound passing is a different story. That is just inexcusable. That happened a few times too.

that's why they need to be crashing the boards on d much more than offense, IMO. If you're already on defense, it eliminates the risk of fast-break points, because you're already there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cutting down on turnovers will help stop some fast break opportunities. 2 or 3 guys need to crash and the rest need to get back. Switch up who does what every other possession or so that way the Bucks don't know who to box out and who can leak out. Keep them guessing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yup. They’re also getting all the 50/50 balls. We just didn’t show up to Milwaukee with enough force to steal a game.

last night should have been a slaughter. The Bucks were begging us multiple times to destroy them and we just never put pedal to the metal to run them off the court.
Yup I kept grousing about that last night. Every 50-50 ball went to the bucks. Only time one of our guys went to the ground was Payne and he was outta bounds.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's why they need to be crashing the boards on d much more than offense, IMO. If you're already on defense, it eliminates the risk of fast-break points, because you're already there.
Right. Agree with that because their transition defense was horrible at times.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think we’re winning this thing. They’re just going to drive us to the brink of complete sports insanity to get it done... just like the D-Backs did.

And not a Byung Hyun Kim in sight. Or is CP3 the equivalent?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And not a Byung Hyun Kim in sight. Or is CP3 the equivalent?

pretty much.

i also started thinking this was gonna be a deja vu series for another reason. Back in 2001, I remember after going up 2-0, I was in my car and “Living On A Prayer“ came on the radio and I started signing “Whoa! We’re halfway there!” I was so pumped. We were definitely beating the Yanks! Then, I Didn’t hear the song again until five days later when we were then down 3-2 after the back to back B Kim Debacles... and the song came on the radio again, this time taunting me that we were STILL only halfway there, but now losing. I quickly changed the channel, pissed.

fast forward to last Friday, we went up 2-0 and the next day, I was driving around Phoenix listening to 98.7 and the intro music was... drumroll please... “Living On A FREAKING Prayer.“ I instantly felt sick... flashing back to the way that song bookended that terrible week for the D-Backs and every fan they had. And again, after getting halfway there with ease after Game 1 and 2, we find ourselves up against it after the last week.

I’m hopeful of the same outcome... a Game 7 classic that gives us the greatest sports joy we’ll ever experience, but it looks like getting there is going to be just as arduous a path as the D-backs was.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think we’re winning this thing. They’re just going to drive us to the brink of complete sports insanity to get it done... just like the D-Backs did.

i can’t do another game 7 like that. the lows in that World Series were horrible

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Im already nervous... Bucks will smell blood in the water and the series may be over if its obvious CP3 is hurt

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
pretty much.

i also started thinking this was gonna be a deja vu series for another reason. Back in 2001, I remember after going up 2-0, I was in my car and “Living On A Prayer“ came on the radio and I started signing “Whoa! We’re halfway there!” I was so pumped. We were definitely beating the Yanks! Then, I Didn’t hear the song again until five days later when we were then down 3-2 after the back to back B Kim Debacles... and the song came on the radio again, this time taunting me that we were STILL only halfway there, but now losing. I quickly changed the channel, pissed.

fast forward to last Friday, we went up 2-0 and the next day, I was driving around Phoenix listening to 98.7 and the intro music was... drumroll please... “Living On A FREAKING Prayer.“ I instantly felt sick... flashing back to the way that song bookended that terrible week for the D-Backs and every fan they had. And again, after getting halfway there with ease after Game 1 and 2, we find ourselves up against it after the last week.

I’m hopeful of the same outcome... a Game 7 classic that gives us the greatest sports joy we’ll ever experience, but it looks like getting there is going to be just as arduous a path as the D-backs was.
Can you imagine social media and hot take shows being around after the Kim meltdown? I was in such shock after the Brosius homer that I can’t even remember where I was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Im already nervous... Bucks will smell blood in the water and the series may be over if its obvious CP3 is hurt
The suns smelled blood in the waters heading into game 3 and got blown out. Then we nearly stole last nights game despite book being the only player to show offensively. I have a difficult time believing that will recur in PHX. I’m gaining confidence in game 5.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can you imagine social media and hot take shows being around after the Kim meltdown? I was in such shock after the Brosius homer that I can’t even remember where I was.
Thankful for BK that he didn’t play in this era.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These numbers seem appropriate considering the series is tied 2-2. Overall scoring this series:

439 — Suns
442 — Bucks

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember EXACTLY where I was. My buddy who was a Yankee fan called me right when Brosious came to bat and just said “Nerrrrrvous?” One pitch later all I heard was “OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!”

I hung up the phone and my roommate looked at me after two minutes and said he’d never seen someone so STUNNED in his entire life. And then I just kinda lost it and started laughing. It was TOO RIDICULOUS.

then I put on my Bernie Lomax outfit and proceeded to get as ****faced as humanly possible with two of my buddies carrying me all night ala Weekend At Bernie’s at the Halloween Parade in West Hollywood.

Good/Bad times.

Reaction score
As usual, living in Europe, I saw the last game only the evening after it was played. What a bad loss! DBook was "Legendary" but other Suns a lot less. I really hope the Suns will show their best basket again in game 5... but I am so scared right now! We need the best performance from everybody... especially CP3. One thing is for sure: the Phoenix Suns Arena will be amazing trying to push our guys over their limits. I continue to think that we are better than the Bucks but is it really true?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns need to figure out how to get CP3 involved in shooting because the Bucks have drove him to his left and he’s been largely ineffective. He’ll pass and the Bucks have been waiting in the passing lanes. Those sweetspots where he’s been dominating at the mid-range won’t be available. I’ll play Cam P more minutes. Can’t let the Bucks steal one at home. No.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A big thing to worry about is if Jrue Holiday will remain awful shooting wise or will he finally turn up. Bucks still won despite Jrue shooting 4/20. Giannis is gonna get his, but if Khris & especially Jrue shoots good, it could be a very long day at the office.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul has been getting good shots but missing. If he makes those shots the Suns usually win. He is also uncharacteristically turning the ball over.

So his handle is a concern for me.

The Suns defense in Game 4 was good throughout most of the game but they can't give the Bucks 17 offensive rebounds like in the last meeting.

Turnovers and giving up second chance points was a killer for the Suns.