Bucks @ Suns Saturday Finals game thread 7-17-2021 Game - Game 5

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
he’s got to stop with the behind the back passes and crazy dribble drives that go nowhere if he doesn’t have a good handle on the ball. His turnovers have just been killers the last two games.

It looks to me that his wrist injury is impacting his dribbling/passing more than his shooting. Maybe it's just me...

I wonder what a lineup of Payne, Paul, Booker, Bridges, Ayton would look like...Let Payne run the point, so that Paul can shoot???? You have Johnson and Crowder as 1st off the bench.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If CP3 plays like crap the rest of this series and we lose, would you still be in favor of resigning him?

That is the thought that has been going through my head after last nights game.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This team seems to play so much better with fast starts. If I was Monty, I make a change in the starting lineup. I put Cam into the starting lineup and put Bridges on the bench. If Paul is compromised because if injury we can use the extra fire power in the starting lineup. I question if Monty is willing to make the change. He has been slow to adjust at times throughout the playoffs.

Yeah, this is my opinion, too. Even if Monty resists changing his lineup (which undoubtedly will be the case), he needs to go to CJ, Craig, and even Payne earlier if the starters are playing sluggishly... and mix up the lineup/rotation more instead of just rotating the same guys in and out like clockwork.

But I know he won't... or it will be shocking if he does. So we just have to hope that most of the starters are on their game enough for the rest of the series.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If CP3 plays like crap the rest of this series and we lose, would you still be in favor of resigning him?

A very legitimate question! Jones would have to have a great PG lined up in order to kiss CP3 goodbye...
We simply can't go back to a heavy dose of point-Book!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

When you consider the alternative (namely the state of the franchise before CP3 came here), I don't think there is any question we should resign him.

If anything, CP3's injury aside, the more prevalent problems are the Bucks' offensive boards and points in the paint, which prove that while not necessarily determinative, size and strength do in fact still matter in the NBA, and James Jones really needs to do what he perpetually neglected to do this season, which is to get Ayton some help in the front court inside.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is where you give ammo to the people who think you’re relentless on Ayton. that play wasn’t on Ayton. That was an awful pass.
It was a combination of the two. Eddie Johnson was ripping Ayton a new b utthole for that play last night postgame. I’m with EJ.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you consider the alternative (namely the state of the franchise before CP3 came here), I don't think there is any question we should resign him.

If anything, CP3's injury aside, the more prevalent problems are the Bucks' offensive boards and points in the paint, which prove that while not necessarily determinative, size and strength do in fact still matter in the NBA, and James Jones really needs to do what he perpetually neglected to do this season, which is to get Ayton some help in the front court inside.

You are acting like CP3 will be able to resist aging for the next 3 years.

His age right now might very well be the reason he is playing badly, and he isn't getting any younger.

I certainly agree on needing frontcourt help - but not sure that would have made a difference in last nights game. Turnovers is what got us beat more than anything.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

His age right now might very well be the reason he is playing badly, and he isn't getting any younger.

I certainly agree on needing frontcourt help - but not sure that would have made a difference in last nights game. Turnovers is what got us beat more than anything.
Come on. Aging isn't just flipping a switch. He was playing very well the entire season. He gets a shoulder injury, his hand is messed up and he's playing against one of the best defenders in the league and its just because he's old?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on. Aging isn't just flipping a switch. He was playing very well the entire season. He gets a shoulder injury, his hand is messed up and he's playing against one of the best defenders in the league and its just because he's old?

Part of the reason that Holiday is playing him so effectively is because age has already taken some of his athleticism and he no longer can get open shots.
That isn't going to improve.

Ever since game one they have taken away his elbow shot, and that is 80% of his offense. What you have to realize is that now that they have been successful every team will know how to slow him down. Not all teams will have the correct personel to do it, but enough will that it may take away a ton of his viability in future playoff games.

I was never sure giving him a three year 90-100 million dollar contract at his age was a good idea. This series is starting to swing me towards it being a bad one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No, turnovers were half of reason. The other was offensive rebounds.

turnovers:
Suns 17
Bucks 5

offensive rebounds:
Suns 5
Bucks 17

the awful symmetry of those numbers are to blame for our loss.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

A 17 to 5 advantage to the Bucks in offensive rebounds certainly didn't help, and that problem reared its ugly head in Game 3 as well.

I certainly have concerns regarding CP3's age, but if you look at the alternatives (Point Book, which has already failed on 4 different occasions and empirically has hurt Booker's game as a shooting guard; Cam Payne, who is a nice back-up but who is too inconsistent to rely on as a starter; Javon Carter, who isn't a point guard at all; and what limited options there are out there late in the first round of the draft and in free agency), hoping that CP3 can hold up is likely our best option for this not to be just a one-year blip of relevance.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it’s super frustrating coming off last night and if we lose it all my heart will be broken.

but good lord who had us 2-2 in the NBA finals before the season started.

however we need to finish this

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know it’s super frustrating coming off last night and if we lose it all my heart will be broken.

but good lord who had us 2-2 in the NBA finals before the season started.

however we need to finish this
Amen

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think we’re winning this thing. They’re just going to drive us to the brink of complete sports insanity to get it done... just like the D-Backs did.

it’s Suns till the wheels fall off

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it depends. I'm not sure a better PG will be available and without a PG, we dont win over 40 games.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, turnovers were half of reason. The other was offensive rebounds.

turnovers:
Suns 17
Bucks 5

offensive rebounds:
Suns 5
Bucks 17

the awful symmetry of those numbers are to blame for our loss.
the bucks are WAY bigger than us. I'm not sure how we combat this.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think we’re winning this thing. They’re just going to drive us to the brink of complete sports insanity to get it done... just like the D-Backs did.
It's just the universe giving us what we apparently want and deserve for picking a state that can give us 105 degree weather with 80 percent humidity... Pain and suffering. lol