Bucks or Hawks?

Bucks or Hawks? Who would you rather face?

• Bucks

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Hawks

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That depends on Bridges. Bridges is much taller and longer, so he can shoot over Young from anywhere on the floor. If he is actually willing to shoot, especially from mid-range or around the paint, he should be able to score at will. Of course, we never know which version of Bridges we will get, so Atlanta might be able to get away with that.
He did score much better in the Nuggets series, so there is some hope for him to step up against the Hawks in terms of three level scoring and aggression off the bounce.

Trae can then just hide on Jae who will have to set A LOT of picks to get Trae off him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A chair has more off the dribble dynamism than Mikal or Jae, though.

if Mikal really expects a big bucks extension, he desperately needs to work on his handles. The ball came to a dead stop with him so many times last series when the Clips would run hard close outs on him and he just froze like a statue.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You really think Giannis is done for the playoffs?

I think the Bucks could still present a challenge without him. They have good length with Lopez, Middleton & Porter on the floor.
PortIS is going to be very annoying in the Finals if we play Milwaukee. He is like a crazy version of Marcus Morris.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As we saw from the Clippers series, I believe it is a mistake to conclude that the NBA Finals will be a cake walk regardless of who we play and who is out. That being said, I am still thinking that barring Paul, Booker or Ayton being out for an extended period of time, the Suns prevail, but in 7 games, not 4 or 5...
I do not think anyone thought Clippers would be a cake-walk. Well, they shouldn't have at least after the Clippers just DEMOLISHED the best team in the NBA (albeit with clearly limited Conley and limited Mitchell) in back to back games without Kawhi.

If Giannis is out, we should be able to score very easily. Giannis is used by Bud very much like Vogel uses AD, and he is even better at defense than AD. BroLo is not going to stop Paul (pending his wrist ligaments) or Booker in the mid-range, and he will be hunted. They cannot go small or Ayton will crush them. They only have three guys that can create their own shot (Middleton, Jrue, and Portis) if Giannis is out-- unlike the Clippers (who have like 7 guys that can do it), so they should also be much easier to defend as well--and none of those guys is as good as George.

I do expect Giannis will be out for the duration of the Finals. I see it going 5.

If Trae is fully healthy, I think Atlanta is both better than Milwaukee and a tougher match-up for us, as they have multiple guys that can create offense (Trae, Bogi, Huerter, Lou, Gallo) and a much better defensive big in Capela who should be less easy to exploit than BroLo. I still think our talent/experience (lol) advantage should win out and we beat ATL in 7.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dr. David Chao said on twitter that he thinks Giannis is done for weeks like Kawahi was. Either way...... It's a dog fight.

Jrue on Paul worries me a bit. And Mikal on Middleton seems like a wash. Connaughton on Book is a clear win for us.

Lopez scares the crap out of me though after last night.
Have you watched Chris Paul run offense? Jrue will only nominally be "on" Paul.

BroLo will be on Paul about 100x more than Jrue, and BroLo is a mediocre defensive big.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
if Mikal really expects a big bucks extension, he desperately needs to work on his handles. The ball came to a dead stop with him so many times last series when the Clips would run hard close outs on him and he just froze like a statue.
I tend to agree that he needs to have a more diverse offensive game in order to get the max, but I also think that the fact he didn't try to attack close outs much last round is actually a good thing more than a bad thing. Knowing his limitations and deferring to players to do better things in better spots is a good sign of BBIQ--it is similar to Ayton not trying to do too much.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As we saw from the Clippers series, I believe it is a mistake to conclude that the NBA Finals will be a cake walk regardless of who we play and who is out. That being said, I am still thinking that barring Paul, Booker or Ayton being out for an extended period of time, the Suns prevail, but in 7 games, not 4 or 5...
I think most of us thought the Clippers would be a tough matchup for us before the series started. Even with Kawhi out most of the predictions I saw was Suns in 6. I just don't see it with these two eastern teams. That's not to say that the team can take either team lightly, but I think we beat either team in 5.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to Yahoo Sports, Giannis Antetokoumnpo is expected to be cleared to play a Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals and will absolutely be cleared for the NBA Finals. If that report is true, the Suns will be underdogs in the NBA Finals, even with home court advantage, and James Jones will regret not bringing in another true power forward or center.

Anyone have any idea how the Suns would deal with a Bucks frontcourt with Giannis, Lopez and Portis from a paint scoring, interior defense and rebounding standpoint?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to Yahoo Sports, Giannis Antetokoumnpo is expected to be cleared to play a Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals and will absolutely be cleared for the NBA Finals. If that report is true, the Suns will be underdogs in the NBA Finals, even with home court advantage, and James Jones will regret not bringing in another true power forward or center.

Anyone have any idea how the Suns would deal with a Bucks frontcourt with Giannis, Lopez and Portis from a paint scoring, interior defense and rebounding standpoint?

Already?

Well, we beat them constantly when we see them so we will probably stick with what works.

Also, we will be heavy favorites regardless of opponent.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Lol this pathetic report. Consider your sources, homie. Haynes is the same clown that REPORTED the Lakers have CLEARED ANTHONY DAVIS to play game 6. You member how that went? Well Giannis’ injury is WORSE than Davis’. Actual doctors have been very clear that the observed injury to Giannis will very likely severely limit him for several weeks. Haynes makes Gambo look like Walter Cronkite. This is GIANNIS’ CAMP or the lolBucks leaking garbage from a garbageman.

To answer the hypothetical: if the Bucks play Lopez, Giannis, and Portis at the same time they will get COOKED in pick and roll. Member how Boogie scored a point a minute and was still a minus 20? Like that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol this pathetic report. Consider your sources, homie. Haynes is the same clown that REPORTED the Lakers have CLEARED ANTHONY DAVIS to play game 6. You member how that went? Well Giannis’ injury is WORSE than Davis’. Actual doctors have been very clear that the observed injury to Giannis will very likely severely limit him for several weeks. Haynes makes Gambo look like Walter Cronkite. This is GIANNIS’ CAMP or the lolBucks leaking garbage from a garbageman.

To answer the hypothetical: if the Bucks play Lopez, Giannis, and Portis at the same time they will get COOKED in pick and roll. Member how Boogie scored a point a minute and was still a minus 20? Like that.

I am not talking about the Bucks playing their three bigs at the same time. I am talking about how the Suns would counter the Bucks' likely strategy to just pound the ball inside and get Ayton in foul trouble. And note that I qualified my remaining statement and question with IF the report is true. If the report is not true, we still have to be concerned with this strategy of the Bucks, but I think we would be favored, and just Lopez and Portis would not be enough to overcome the Suns' clear advantage in the backcourt.

As you might recall, the teams were pretty darn evenly matched in the regular season. Even though the Suns swept the Bucks in two games, it was by a total of 2 points, with one game going to OT, and the Bucks were missing Jrue Holiday for the game in Phoenix (where the Suns came roaring back from a large second half deficit).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are discussing who the Hawks will hide Trae on defensively. Not who guards Trae. Obviously Jae cannot guard him.

I am guessing that either it would be Bridges, or perhaps the Hawks would take a page out of the Clippers' book and play zone.

In any event, at this point I would put the chances at over 90% that we will be facing the Bucks, not the Hawks...

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The Suns have faced two teams nobody wanted to play in the Lakers and Clippers. One could even make a case for the Nuggets.

It's next team up. I still don't like the idea of picking a poison.
Hear, hear! We don’t care. Bring us your best, East! We’ll battle with anybody.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not talking about the Bucks playing their three bigs at the same time. I am talking about how the Suns would counter the Bucks' likely strategy to just pound the ball inside and get Ayton in foul trouble. And note that I qualified my remaining statement and question with IF the report is true. If the report is not true, we still have to be concerned with this strategy of the Bucks, but I think we would be favored, and just Lopez and Portis would not be enough to overcome the Suns' clear advantage in the backcourt.

As you might recall, the teams were pretty darn evenly matched in the regular season. Even though the Suns swept the Bucks in two games, it was by a total of 2 points, with one game going to OT, and the Bucks were missing Jrue Holiday for the game in Phoenix (where the Suns came roaring back from a large second half deficit).
Ayton has avoided foul trouble against FAR better front courts already in the playoffs. Have you watched Milwaukee at all? What you are suggesting they will obviously do is something that they literally never do. Lopez and Portis combine for less than 3 free throws per game, they are NOT bangers.

This Bucks team was a toe nail away from losing to the Durant and the Nets bench, they are reeeeeally struggling with a Hawks team that has blown them out twice, once without Trae Young even playing (and Giannis playing most of that game), we also beat this same team twice and in 5 of our last 6 meetings.

It's the Bucks who need to figure out how the hell they could keep up with us. Not vice versa.

This is our year and neither of these trash teams from the Least are going to stop us.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

were 5-1 in our last 6 against the Bucks. Probably deal with them the same way we always do

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

bucks lost DDV, and Forbes has cooled off quite a bit these playoffs (as you may recall he went nuts in the 1st half of the first meeting); the drop off from DDV

The Suns should also make the key adjustment of putting Ayton on Giannis, which should not be a problem if he plays given how limited he will be. Throw Crowder on Brook if the Bucks decide to go big.

I think Saric can deal with Portis off the bench as a 5. If Portis plays the 4, then we can have Crowder or Craig guard him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton has avoided foul trouble against FAR better front courts already in the playoffs. Have you watched Milwaukee at all? What you are suggesting they will obviously do is something that they literally never do. Lopez and Portis combine for less than 3 free throws per game, they are NOT bangers.

This Bucks team was a toe nail away from losing to the Durant and the Nets bench, they are reeeeeally struggling with a Hawks team that has blown them out twice, once without Trae Young even playing (and Giannis playing most of that game), we also beat this same team twice and in 5 of our last 6 meetings.

It's the Bucks who need to figure out how the hell they could keep up with us. Not vice versa.

This is our year and neither of these trash teams from the Least are going to stop us.

The Nets had Jordan and Griffin to go along with Durant.

The Hawks are likely about to lose in 6 to a Bucks team missing Giannis for two and a half games. And they have Collins to go along with Capela.

The Suns have Ayton and...Ayton...

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s a good thing Ayton has been delivering 40mpg of Finals MVP caliber big man play all playoffs then and the only decent Bucks big is not going to be playing!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A hobbled Giannis would be considerably less effective than other hobbled superstars because he can’t shoot. Lebron, Harden, Mitchell played hurt and you still had to respect their shot unless it’s a shoulder/hand injury like Paul had

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
bucks lost DDV, and Forbes has cooled off quite a bit these playoffs (as you may recall he went nuts in the 1st half of the first meeting); the drop off from DDV

The Suns should also make the key adjustment of putting Ayton on Giannis, which should not be a problem if he plays given how limited he will be. Throw Crowder on Brook if the Bucks decide to go big.

I think Saric can deal with Portis off the bench as a 5. If Portis plays the 4, then we can have Crowder or Craig guard him.

I forgot about DiVicenzo...though that just accentuates how much of an advantage the Suns have in the backcourt and how much of an advantage the Bucks have in the frontcourt. The Suns will be starting two guards, two wings and a center, while the Bucks will be starting two centers, two wings and a guard.

On paper, Crowder and Tucker are basically the same player, so one would normally expect them to cancel each other out. The problem lies in the match-up, particularly IF Giannis plays.

I consider Paul a decided advantage over Holiday, though Paul's hand ligament issue will be a variable.

If Giannis plays, Ayton would have to guard Giannis or Lopez, which would likely mean that Crowder would have to guard the other (where Crowder would be at a decided disadvantage on both ends of the court). Booker would then have to guard the much bigger Tucker (who should just be able to post Booker up at will) or else the red-hot Middleton (which would wear Booker out and hurt his offense).

It would be a far better match-up for the Suns if they could just play Ayton on Lopez, Crowder on Portis, Bridges on Middleton, Booker on Tucker (which would be the Suns' only decided disadvantage defensively and on the boards) and Paul on Holiday. Still tough and problematic, but at least Crowder wouldn't be so overmatched having to guard Lopez or Giannis on one end and trying to shoot over them on the other end and battling them on the other end for boards.

And the way Saric has played lately, I wouldn't be confident in him dealing with anyone. The problem there is that Monty has kept Kaminsky and Craig glued to the bench in the playoffs (Kaminsky I can understand, given his lack of defense, but the decision with Craig still has me baffled), which means that if Giannis plays, we are left with just Saric and Cam Johnson dealing with Portis, whether we like it or not.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A hobbled Giannis would be considerably less effective than other hobbled superstars because he can’t shoot. Lebron, Harden, Mitchell played hurt and you still had to respect their shot unless it’s a shoulder/hand injury like Paul had

He would still easily outmuscle Crowder inside if Ayton guards Lopez, or leave Lopez to easily outmuscle Crowder if Ayton guards Giannis.