Bruce Willis To Retire From Acting Following Aphasia Diagnosis

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that earlier. It's not a good prognosis if it's the slow developing kind you get from dementia, stroke or previous brain injury. My friend's mother had this and it was brutal to watch. I wonder if all the action movies he has done if he suffered a blow to the head that caused this or if this is just early onset dementia?

Either way it's a shame. I wish him the best in his fight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck Bruce. He leaves behind quite a film legacy. My favorite film with him is The Sixth Sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Die Hard With A Vengeance is a criminally underrated action movie. That is a great, fun, violent buddy cop movie, but suffers from a weak ending. Still, the first 9/10s of that movie are wildly entertaining. Chemistry between him and Sam Jackson is through the roof.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Die Hard With A Vengeance is a criminally underrated action movie. That is a great, fun, violent buddy cop movie, but suffers from a weak ending. Still, the first 9/10s of that movie are wildly entertaining. Chemistry between him and Sam Jackson is through the roof.
It was good, but it went away from the formula and I've never accepted that 100%.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was good, but it went away from the formula and I've never accepted that 100%.
that's what I loved about it. just remaking the same movie 3 times would have gotten stale for me. Die Hard 2 is a great action movie, but the same thing happening to the same guy... three times? I was ready for the change and thought it delivered like gang-busters.

and was easily the last movie where the character actually felt like John McClane. Every movie that came after it was atrocious and got further and further away from the underdog and relatively (heavy emphasis on relatively) grounded guy that made McClane .great.

also, Irons was a good baddie despite the stretch of him being Hans' brother. What really struck me the last time I watched that movie was all the bit characters around McClane on the force actually feel like characters. They weren't just stock characters who had their info dumps and moved along... each one of them had at least a little wrinkle about them that made scenes with them pop a little more than usual. That was a hallmark of the first three movies... great bad guys, big action sequences and bit characters that all felt like distinct, real people with their own quirks. they nailed all three of those while striking gold with the Willis Jackson pairing for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh I agree about the John McClane stuff. I have no idea why they decided to make him a superhero in the last two movies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's done a lot that I've liked but my favorites from Bruce would be (in order) Red, Whole Nine Yards, Fifth Element, Die Hard, Pulp Fiction, The Last Boy Scout, Armageddon, The Jackal, Striking Distance, Mercury Rising, Over The Hedge (voice) and of course, the TV show Moonlighting. I wish him the best in dealing with his health issue.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's done a lot that I've liked but my favorites from Bruce would be (in order) Red, Whole Nine Yards, Fifth Element, Die Hard, Pulp Fiction, The Last Boy Scout, Armageddon, The Jackal, Striking Distance, Mercury Rising, Over The Hedge (voice) and of course, the TV show Moonlighting. I wish him the best in dealing with his health issue.
Striking Distance is an underrated gem. And Fifth Element is wildly entertaining.

And Last Boy Scout is delicious action trash.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely agree, including the order. The only thing I might add to the list is Red 2, which I also really enjoyed (Malkovich and Hopkins in the same, tongue in cheek movie. YES) ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are saying that Bruce has known about his condition for the past couple years and was attempting to get as much money stashed away as he could before being forced to retire. They also said you can visibly see an earpiece in his ear on some of those films because they had to feed him his lines. If this is true, he knew this was coming and explains why he did 15 films in two years leading up to this with little regard for quality.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are saying that Bruce has known about his condition for the past couple years and was attempting to get as much money stashed away as he could before being forced to retire. They also said you can visibly see an earpiece in his ear on some of those films because they had to feed him his lines. If this is true, he knew this was coming and explains why he did 15 films in two years leading up to this with little regard for quality.
Was it just 15 movies? It sure seemed like more. I kept expecting Netflix to offer Bruce Willis as a Movie Category.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll never be over Macho Grande.

Impressive… not just an Airplane reference, but an Airplane: The Sequel! reference.

On of the few sequels I've ever seen that matched the original in quality. :thumbup:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Razzis rescinded a worst actor nomination for one of those 15 films now that they figured out, he likely had his condition while filming.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one hurts. Love him in so many roles. Wish him the best the rest of the way. Hope he gets to spend quality time with his girls and the condition doesn't worsen too quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard