Snow White (live action)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Then don’t watch it. Move on with your life. There are plenty of people who will watch it and enjoy the representation on screen.

“Woke fashion?” Define woke for me. You honestly don’t see the importance of having representation on screen?

These “age old tails” were created back when there was only one voice allowed to create content.
Well.... the definition has been mangled over time for sure. It's a toxicised word that conservatives and some moderates use to describe the feeling they get when talking to someone who is of the far left so blinded by their personal liberalness.

This is the most representative way I have found it explained for what I am talking about:

Woke people, who can hardly believe how spotlessly moral they are, are mindlessly spiteful towards those who do not agree with them.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Well.... the definition has been mangled over time for sure. It's a toxicised word that conservatives and some moderates use to describe the feeling they get when talking to someone who is of the far left so blinded by their personal liberalness.

This is the most representative way I have found it explained for what I am talking about:

Woke people, who can hardly believe how spotlessly moral they are, are mindlessly spiteful towards those who do not agree with them.
Woke is now defined in this dictionary as “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice),” and identified as U.S. slang. ”

I think it means you aren’t a butthole.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Woke is now defined in this dictionary as “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice),” and identified as U.S. slang. ”

I think it means you aren’t a butthole.
Yeah..... that's the new definition. A lot of definitions have been updated in the past decade or so. This word was in 2017.

If your unable to consider the nuance of a system that changes definitions due to either cultural pressure or situational need than I guess your point holds.

Regardless, the word has been drafted into the culture wars and thus..... used by people like me when they describe others who seem to have an unwavering but still insanely narrow sense of self purity.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Yeah..... that's the new definition. A lot of definitions have been updated in the past decade or so. This word was in 2017.

If your unable to consider the nuance of a system that changes definitions due to either cultural pressure or situational need than I guess your point holds.

Regardless, the word has been drafted into the culture wars and thus..... used by people like me when they describe others who seem to have an unwavering but still insanely narrow sense of self purity.
Ironically, your definition can be applied to the very people railing against “wokeism.” Mindlessly spiteful towards those who don’t agree with them. Ergo, the cultural wars the right has essentially made their entire platform out of.

But I digress, this is a movie thread.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL… those ARE the real pics, just not “official”? Okay, all other conversations aside, that does look kinda hilarious.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then don’t watch it. Move on with your life. There are plenty of people who will watch it and enjoy the representation on screen.

“Woke fashion?” Define woke for me. You honestly don’t see the importance of having representation on screen?

These “age old tails” were created back when there was only one voice allowed to create content.

Woke is just the new antifa. Simple minds need simple explanations for complex discussions

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Language never stops evolving....just like the targets of manufactured outrage.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You know what. Your a big boy cheese. And your also in the industry. How can you be so.... a: tone deaf. and b: So ignorant of the blatant push being done in the media around these products?

They are literally marketing these age old tales in true woke fashion and rewriting stories and songs but keeping the titles. Why? Money.

Change the titles and remove the decades and generations' old IP from the project and this all goes away.

This was in 2022:

WTH are these two quotes?!?!?!?! Seriously...... WTH?

Why are we not up in arms about MI and Tom Cruise?

He sticks to the tried and true formula. Doesn't waver, and certainly isn't shoving anything but his beautiful eyes in our faces during his movies.

Stop..... Shoving...... It...... Down...... Our....... Throats.

Disney has been saying it out loud for some time now:
Last I was aware the United States is a free country, capitalism reigns, and Disney is free to do what they want. Sorry it makes you rant uncontrollably.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the most part I do.

Problem here is that I LOVE DISNEY. Like..... 20 year annual passes, hundreds of DVC points, stockholder, LOVE.

They are being ruined by this new direction. Absolutely ruined on numerous fronts.
Ruined for people that want a throwback in time I guess. For a lot of people they finally feel seen and empowered by Disney. I applaud them for that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK, seriously, I have read that certain tales have evolved from other earlier stories or tales. Why can't these tales be told in new ways? Some of the best movies are just rips offs of things like Romeo and Juliet, or the Odyssey, etc. Just because something appears to be "woke" doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. It's art. Does all art have to be same? Can't we do a Mona Lisa in Andy Warhol pop art style?
No. Too woke.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, Snow White is no longer white. Most of the dwarves are just regular people. There is no Prince Charming. Why even call it Snow White any longer?

Anyone who criticizes these decisions should not be labeled racist or sexist. They are curious choices, IMHO.

Create an entirely fresh new story to fit more modern times if that is what they're after. Leave the old, outdated tales in the past.

Example: Disney just shut down Splash Mountain to get rid of the outdated Song of the South theme and replace it with a fresher theme based on The Princess and the Frog.

Oh god the white outrage is just to much

Song of the south is literally about a slave who’s loves being a slave, hell Brer Rabbit runs away and gets lynched in the damn movie lol.

What’s wrong with that. Sounds like a lovely film

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Song of the south is literally about a slave who’s loves being a slave, hell Brer Rabbit runs away and gets lynched in the damn movie lol.

Gotta love how hilariously tone deaf the example given was.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I gave Disney props for updating the ride to something fresh and original. What's your issue with that?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I hate the fact that I love the song zippity-do-da from my childhood. When I first learned of this as an adult I was shocked how bamboozled I could be as a kid. But bamboozled we were. Disgusting what used to be “okay.”

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
My only issue with the movie is multiple little people actors have come out against it. If we want to have outrage when white or straight actors take the roles of other marginalized groups why aren’t we having that same outrage with this? If it were the frog and the princess and they turn the main character white, people would be killing this movie. I just want the outrage the same for all kinds of marginalized groups.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Social media does seem split on this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OK, seriously, I have read that certain tales have evolved from other earlier stories or tales. Why can't these tales be told in new ways? Some of the best movies are just rips offs of things like Romeo and Juliet, or the Odyssey, etc. Just because something appears to be "woke" doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. It's art. Does all art have to be same? Can't we do a Mona Lisa in Andy Warhol pop art style?
I think revisiting a narrative archtype is different than remaking a beloved story. I tease a friend of mine a lot because he loves JCs Avatar but I tell him it is just the same narrative archtype as Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai wrapped up in different packaging. I personally enjoy the original Disney movies and have not been interested in the remakes.

I feel that I can relate to both sides of this argument. I can understand where people can be upset if they love the story or presentation of an original disney presentation or if they are culturally invested in the legend. I can see how a Danish person would be protective over the depiction of the main character of a tale created by a Danish author. I can also understand the argument that these tales can be easy ways to provide representation or connection to minorities who have previously felt left out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think revisiting a narrative archtype is different than remaking a beloved story. I tease a friend of mine a lot because he loves JCs Avatar but I tell him it is just the same narrative archtype as Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai wrapped up in different packaging. I personally enjoy the original Disney movies and have not been interested in the remakes.

I feel that I can relate to both sides of this argument. I can understand where people can be upset if they love the story or presentation of an original disney presentation or if they are culturally invested in the legend. I can see how a Danish person would be protective over the depiction of the main character of a tale created by a Danish author. I can also understand the argument that these tales can be easy ways to provide representation or connection to minorities who have previously felt left out.
I wonder if they just did not title this Snow White, but some other title, if there would be as much anguish over this movie?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they just did not title this Snow White, but some other title, if there would be as much anguish over this movie?
It has so little in common with the original that they should retitle it. It is no longer a Snow White movie. Just like the Point Break remake which I didn't think was horrible until they tried to tie in things to the original. If it had just been its own film and not worried about trying to bring in some elements from the original, it would have been something much better.

As for this "Snow White" film, I cannot suspend my beliefs enough to think that Gal Gadot is an evil queen who would actually be jealous of Rachel Zegler's looks. Horrible casting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It has so little in common with the original that they should retitle it. It is no longer a Snow White movie. Just like the Point Break remake which I didn't think was horrible until they tried to tie in things to the original. If it had just been its own film and not worried about trying to bring in some elements from the original, it would have been something much better.

As for this "Snow White" film, I cannot suspend my beliefs enough to think that Gal Gadot is an evil queen who would actually be jealous of Rachel Zegler's looks. Horrible casting.
That is a stretch!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score