Snow White (live action)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peter Dinklage Slams Disney's Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs Remake​

“Literally no offense to anyone, but I was a little taken aback when they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White. But you’re still telling the story of ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.’ Take a step back and look at what you’re doing there. It makes no sense to me. You’re progressive in one way but then you’re still making that ******* backwards story about seven dwarfs living in a cave together, what the **** are you doing, man? Have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soap box? I guess I’m not loud enough. I don’t know which studio that is but they were so proud of it. All love and respect to the actress and all the people who thought they were doing the right thing. But I’m just like, what are you doing?"

Disney Responds To Peter Dinklage's Snow White Movie Criticism​

Disney has responded to actor Peter Dinklage's criticism over the new live-action adaptation of Snow White.

“To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community. We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period.”

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to figure out just why Disney is losing hundreds of millions of dollars on their movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to figure out just why Disney is losing hundreds of millions of dollars on their movies.

I mean… the picture of Snow White in the fake news article you posted ISNT EVEN RACHEL ZEIGLER. Lol.

Last edited:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's racist and sexist to point out that a movie based on a 19th century German folktale is race swapping for intersectional points? Someone is racist for pointing it out, and indicating that once again Disney is going to produce someone no one wants to see and will lose lots of money?

I posted something the Daily Mail published. Perhaps they'll issue a correction. But it's not like what was published isn't going to be far from reality.

EDIT: Daily Mail issued a clarification:

You must be registered for see images attach

So, it is from the production. The costumes and remaining cast are legit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean… the picture of Snow White in the fake news article you posted ISNT EVEN RACHEL ZEIGLER. Lol.
Currently in the Daily Mail article it says:

This article has been amended since initial publication to correctly identify the actress portraying Snow White as an extra who stood in for post-production photography. Disney confirm that stand-ins were used for both Rachel Zegler and Andrew Burnap in these images. We are happy to clarify this point.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Snow White is no longer white. Most of the dwarves are just regular people. There is no Prince Charming. Why even call it Snow White any longer?

Anyone who criticizes these decisions should not be labeled racist or sexist. They are curious choices, IMHO.

Create an entirely fresh new story to fit more modern times if that is what they're after. Leave the old, outdated tales in the past.

Example: Disney just shut down Splash Mountain to get rid of the outdated Song of the South theme and replace it with a fresher theme based on The Princess and the Frog.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’ll never understand the outrage generated by people on classic stories being updated to reflect a more diverse cast and modern times. These stories were written back in a time where there was only one group who was able to publish and generate stories. I have no issue with older stories being updated to reflect where we are now as a society.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Disney films. Where Kathleen Kennedy and her band of social justice warriors get to kill beloved franchises, push their views on intersectional politics, and where hatred and racism gets veiled in marketing phrases like "A classic story A gets a much needed update". When Peter Dinklage thinks its stupid....... it's probably gotten a little stupid. don't you think?

As usual. I would implore the folks at Disney to not use old titles when your intent is to not hold true to the IP, the history of the folk tale, or most importantly, the actual story being told.

Call it something else and all of this stupidity goes away. Lord knows it's going to bomb regardless.

This is not Snow White and these are not seven Dwarves. Production timelines are just nuts these days. I'd have cancelled this project the minute I saw what Peter Pan and Wendy turned in to. I mean...... they turned the lost boys into not...... lost....... boys. So stupid.

a Disney spokesperson replied with the following: “To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community. We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period.”

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Disney films. Where Kathleen Kennedy and her band of social justice warriors get to kill beloved franchises, push their views on intersectional politics, and where hatred and racism gets veiled in marketing phrases like "A classic story A gets a much needed update". When Peter Dinklage thinks its stupid....... it's probably gotten a little stupid. don't you think?

As usual. I would implore the folks at Disney to not use old titles when your intent is to not hold true to the IP, the history of the folk tale, or most importantly, the actual story being told.

Call it something else and all of this stupidity goes away. Lord knows it's going to bomb regardless.

This is not Snow White and these are not seven Dwarves. Production timelines are just nuts these days. I'd have cancelled this project the minute I saw what Peter Pan and Wendy turned in to. I mean...... they turned the lost boys into not...... lost....... boys. So stupid.

Is Dopey going to be a character?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Dopey going to be a character?
Their original names may offend too many people these days, so they'll likely have new names or no names at all. :sarcasm:

• 1. Doc - likely not a real doctor so he/she/they should not use that nickname
  • 2. Sleepy - making fun of people with sleep issues
  • 3. Dopey - making fun of less intelligent people
  • 4. Grumpy - making fun of older folks
  • 5. Happy - may rub depressed people the wrong way
  • 6. Bashful - making fun of shyer/introverted people
  • 7. Sneezy - making fun of people with allergies

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe just turn the channel and let capitalism do its thing. :shrug: Why all the hand-wringing?
i just love the handwringing over something… that doesn’t even exist.

Being so threatened by… GASP… some recasting so there’s actually representation of someone other than white people… is beyond perplexing to me. I mean… I’m white. I see something like this and couldn’t care less. Getting in an uproar over all of this stuff just seems like it’s born out of white nationalism to me. I don’t know how else to describe where the outrage comes from.

Especially because we’re talking about movies most of these up in arms people would NEVER go see anyway.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Being so threatened by… GASP… some recasting so there’s actually representation of someone other than white people… is beyond perplexing to me. I mean… I’m white. I see something like this and couldn’t care less. Getting in an uproar over all of this stuff just seems like it’s born out of white nationalism to me. I don’t know how else to describe where the outrage comes from.

Especially because we’re talking about movies most of these up in arms people would NEVER go see anyway.

I don't feel comfortable ascribing the worst motives to anyone I only know on the Internet. People get in 'uproars' all the time these days, doesn't necessarily mean they're nationalists. Message boards are gonna have fors and againsts on subjective topics. I only point it out because it seems like every other movie thread goes there immediately lately. If Disney fails or thrives, it will be dictated by the usual judge; money. Might as well let it play out, imo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't feel comfortable ascribing the worst motives to anyone I only know on the Internet. People get in 'uproars' all the time these days, doesn't necessarily mean they're nationalists.

When people continually get in an uproar about racial/LGTBQ issues as if progress there for minorities is a personal affront to their white existence, not just in movie threads, but across the board of issues in politics, sports and… well… everywhere, I can.

When people repeatedly show me who they are, I believe them.
Message boards are gonna have fors and againsts on subjective topics. I only point it out because it seems like every other movie thread goes there immediately lately.
And why are those specific movies being targeted lately? Funny… Mission Impossible this weekend is actually going to do LESS than Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid domestic opening weekend, but you don’t have political rhetoric flying around that movie on the board, do we? There’s no GO WOKE GO BROKE narrative around Mission. The above ignores the WHY there have been vigorous for and against in the threads that are on fire.
If Disney fails or thrives, it will be dictated by the usual judge; money. Might as well let it play out, imo.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

It's called ACTING! You can literally have anyone playing any character. I care more wether the movie is entertaining at the end of the day.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
When people continually get in an uproar about racial/LGTBQ issues as if progress there for minorities is a personal affront to their white existence, not just in movie threads, but across the board of issues in politics, sports and… well… everywhere, I can.

When people repeatedly show me who they are, I believe them.
You know what. Your a big boy cheese. And your also in the industry. How can you be so.... a: tone deaf. and b: So ignorant of the blatant push being done in the media around these products?

They are literally marketing these age old tales in true woke fashion and rewriting stories and songs but keeping the titles. Why? Money.

Change the titles and remove the decades and generations' old IP from the project and this all goes away.

This was in 2022:

New 'Little Mermaid,' 'Snow White' stars say their 'modern' characters won't be defined by needing a man's love

“In 1937, the cartoon [Snow White and the Seven Dwarves] was so focused on her finding true love, and it’s not even in her mind at all in this film,” Zegler (West Side Story), 21, tells us Friday at Disney’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif., where she was joined by co-star Gal Gadot (watch above).
“She’s so focused in becoming the leader that her father tells her that she can be. And she’s really trying to find the courage to stand up to the Evil Queen [Gadot] and how to find her own agency and rule a kingdom.
WTH are these two quotes?!?!?!?! Seriously...... WTH?

And why are those specific movies being targeted lately? Funny… Mission Impossible this weekend is actually going to do LESS than Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid domestic opening weekend, but you don’t have political rhetoric flying around that movie on the board, do we? There’s no GO WOKE GO BROKE narrative around Mission. The above ignores the WHY there have been vigorous for and against in the threads that are on fire.
Why are we not up in arms about MI and Tom Cruise?

He sticks to the tried and true formula. Doesn't waver, and certainly isn't shoving anything but his beautiful eyes in our faces during his movies.

Stop..... Shoving...... It...... Down...... Our....... Throats.

Disney has been saying it out loud for some time now:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
You know what. Your a big boy cheese. And your also in the industry. How can you be so.... a: tone deaf. and b: So ignorant of the blatant push being done in the media around these products?

They are literally marketing these age old tales in true woke fashion and rewriting stories and songs but keeping the titles. Why? Money.

Change the titles and remove the decades and generations' old IP from the project and this all goes away.

This was in 2022:

WTH are these two quotes?!?!?!?! Seriously...... WTH?

Why are we not up in arms about MI and Tom Cruise?

He sticks to the tried and true formula. Doesn't waver, and certainly isn't shoving anything but his beautiful eyes in our faces during his movies.

Stop..... Shoving...... It...... Down...... Our....... Throats.

Disney has been saying it out loud for some time now:
Then don’t watch it. Move on with your life. There are plenty of people who will watch it and enjoy the representation on screen.

“Woke fashion?” Define woke for me. You honestly don’t see the importance of having representation on screen?

These “age old tails” were created back when there was only one voice allowed to create content.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Then don’t watch it. Move on with your life. There are plenty of people who will watch it and enjoy the representation on screen.

“Woke fashion?” Define woke for me. You honestly don’t see the importance of having representation on screen?

These “age old tails” were created back when there was only one voice allowed to create content.
For the most part I do.

Problem here is that I LOVE DISNEY. Like..... 20 year annual passes, hundreds of DVC points, stockholder, LOVE.

They are being ruined by this new direction. Absolutely ruined on numerous fronts.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK, seriously, I have read that certain tales have evolved from other earlier stories or tales. Why can't these tales be told in new ways? Some of the best movies are just rips offs of things like Romeo and Juliet, or the Odyssey, etc. Just because something appears to be "woke" doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. It's art. Does all art have to be same? Can't we do a Mona Lisa in Andy Warhol pop art style?

Town Drunk

Reaction score
For the most part I do.

Problem here is that I LOVE DISNEY. Like..... 20 year annual passes, hundreds of DVC points, stockholder, LOVE.

They are being ruined by this new direction. Absolutely ruined on numerous fronts.
My kids loved the Little Mermaid remake, as did my wife. I’m sure they’ll likely enjoy this as well. So no, they’re not being ruined. They’re being updated so that kids going to watch these movies see people that look like them on the screen. If you’re against that, well, that’s a you problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids loved the Little Mermaid remake, as did my wife. I’m sure they’ll likely enjoy this as well. So no, they’re not being ruined. They’re being updated so that kids going to watch these movies see people like them on the screen. If you’re against that, well, that’s a you problem.
Apparently, 81% of movies having White Male Leads isn’t enough for some white men… even though this country is only made up of 30% white men.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Apparently, 81% of movies having White Male Leads isn’t enough for some white men… even though this country is only made up of 30% white men.
It’s really astounding the outage this stuff generates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson