Brown signed !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FLAGSTAFF – It took almost a week of training camp and it will cost him at least seven practices, but Levi Brown is finally a Cardinal.

The team’s No. 1 draft pick agreed to a six-year contract Thursday, although now he must play catch-up and prove he is ready to get on the field.

The problem is he has a player in front of him at right tackle on the depth chart – veteran Oliver Ross – who himself has something to prove.

“I probably feel this year the best since I have been here,” said Ross, the 2005 free-agent acquisition that has had two disappointing seasons with the Cardinals.

Whether Ross can actually fend off Brown long-term is questionable, no matter how well Ross plays. While the Cardinals declined to comment on the financial details of Brown’s contract, it is believed the fifth overall pick in the draft received around $18.1 million in guaranteed money.

For that kind of money – and that high of a pick – Brown will almost certainly start. It’s a question of when.

Brown, flying from Virginia to Arizona, won't land in the Valley until late Thursday night and is expected in Flagstaff Friday morning. The Cardinals have two practices scheduled for Friday. Brown still needs to take a physical before reporting.

Brown will play right tackle, but as he was in the offseason, he is currently with the second unit behind Ross.

“I’m not saying you expect your first-rounder to not be in camp, but it is becoming the norm more and more every year,” guard Reggie Wells said. “Obviously, you want to be with the guys one way or the other and you don’t want to miss any time so the sooner you get here the better.

“But that is part of the game. He will catch up.”

Wells said Brown showed flashes of talent in the offseason work.

“But yeah, he better be ready to go,” Wells added with a smile.

Ross, who accepted a $1 million paycut in the offseason that lowered his salary to $1.8 million, insisted he feels he will remain in the lineup over Brown if he does his job. Ross’ comfort level with both head coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm – who both coached Ross with the Steelers – has restored some of his confidence.

Ross said he feels better, mentally and physically, than either of his previous two seasons in Arizona.

As for the specter of the highly paid rookie behind him, Ross said it can’t matter to him.

“It’s just there,” Ross said. “I just go out and play my best. That’s it.”

He may have been helped by the delay in Brown’s signing. The Cardinals were frustrated that Brown’s deal wasn’t done sometime late Tuesday night given that their offer never substantially changed over the past week.

Then again, every first-round pick the Cards have had since 2004 – receiver Larry Fitzgerald, cornerback Antrel Rolle and quarterback Matt Leinart – came in late yet played a significant amount early in the season. Rolle and Fitzgerald were starting by the time the regular season commenced.

“(Levi) showed a lot of athletic ability (in the offseason) and he will be able to contribute,” guard Deuce Lutui said. “He wouldn’t have been drafted where he was if he couldn’t.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
We will have to have the ghost of Handel write an oratorio to celebrate this great event!

"Oh moment stay; you are so fair"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good news and it's about time. Now, hopefully Grimm can get this O-line to gel so thhat our offense can actually strike fear into opponents, as it should with our skill position players.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awsome news and I have no doubt he will beat out Ross for the starting job and atleast he will be avliable for the cards first preseason game :) Also I like the fact we got him to sign to a 6 year deal GOOD JOB CARDS

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2959237

he Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night reached agreement with first-round draft pick Levi Brown, the offensive tackle from Penn State, on a six-year contract, ESPN.com has confirmed.

The contract, negotiated by agent Joel Segal, has a maximum value of $62 million. That is believed to be the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman, although Brown is unlikely to max out the deal by reaching all the incentives.

Unsigned First-Round Picks

Now that all NFL training camps are open for business, coaches will tell you these absent rookies are falling behind in their programs by the minute.
The Six Holdouts No. Team Player
1. Raiders JaMarcus Russell, QB
2. Lions Calvin Johnson, WR
14. Jets Darrelle Revis, CB
22. Browns Brady Quinn, QB
23. Chiefs Dwayne Bowe, WR
25. Panthers Jon Beason, LB

"Levi is looking forward to joining the Cardinals coaches and players at practice tomorrow," Segal told The Associated Press. "The Cardinals stepped up and made this deal happen."

Brown, 23, was the fifth player chosen overall and the second offensive tackle. The accord leaves six first-round choices unsigned. That group includes the top two picks, quarterback JaMarcus Russell of Oakland and Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

A four-year starter for the Nittany Lions, with 44 of his 45 starts at left tackle, Brown is expected to challenge veteran Oliver Ross for the starting job at right tackle. That is a key position in the Arizona offense, since quarterback Matt Leinart is left-handed, and the right tackle is responsible for primary pass protection duties.

Brown spent much of the spring working on the right side and, according to the Cardinals' coaches, seemed to make a good transition. Having missed the first five days of camp, he will have to catch up quickly under the tutelage of line coach Russ Grimm to still have a chance to start on opening day.

Although he arrived at Penn State as a defensive tackle, Brown was moved to the offensive side early in his first camp. He is blessed with a big upper frame and his size (6-feet-5 ½, 323 pounds) allowed him to engulf opponents at the college level. Brown has long arms and big hands and, while his 40-time (5.40) is not impressive, he moves his felt very well in pass protection situations.

He will have to work on not setting up so high, and losing leverage, when pass blocking.

In his final two years, according to Penn State coaches, 60 percent of the team's rushing yards came in part as a result of his blocks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The contract, negotiated by agent Joel Segal, has a maximum value of $62 million. That is believed to be the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman, although Brown is unlikely to max out the deal by reaching all the incentives.

I wonder if year 6 has some ridiculous salary number and/or roster bonus payment.

Over at Urban's blog, he noted that the holdup was that the Cards viewed year 6 of the contract purely as a device to spread out the signing bonus with the likelihood of Levi playing under year 6 of the deal as really remote. Segal had the take that an extra year gets you a bigger proportional signing bonus.

The line in bold above is what Segal was really after -- that will be clipped and pasted into marketing material for next year

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
August 2, 2007

CARDS FINALLY SIGN LEVI

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Arizona Cardinals have come to terms with tackle Levi Brown, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Per Schefter, Brown signed a six-year deal with a maximum possible value of $62 million and guaranteed money in excess of $18.5 million.

The guaranteed money puts Brown meshes with the deal given to the No. 4 overall pick, Bucs defensive end Gaines Adams, who received $18.5 million in guaranteed money on a six-year contract.

Per year, however, Jones got less guaranteed money than Redskins safety LaRon Landry, the No. 6 overall pick. Landry received $17.5 million in guaranteed money on a five-year deal.

Coincidentally, Brown and Landry are represented by the same agent, Joel Segal.

Of course, Segal likely will claim that the deficiency in guaranteed money is counterbalanced by the total value of the Brown deal, which has an average of more than $10 million per year. But if the maximum incentives in Brown's deal are anything like the maximum incentives that Segal inserted into Landry's contract, Brown shouldn't assume that he'll be earning the top dollars.

Per a league source, Landry will get the maximum value of his five-year, $41.5 million contract only if he wins the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award. Four times.

Meanwhile, Segal pal Len Pasquarelli already is trumpeting the contract, saying that it "is believed to be the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman." But at least Len proves that he's not a complete scoop *****, adding that "Brown is unlikely to max out the deal by reaching all the incentives."

So, then, that would make it not the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman, right? Buy, hey, why let reality get in the way of Segal's 2008 recruiting materials?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is believed to be the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman, although Brown is unlikely to max out the deal by reaching all the incentives.

I hope he reaches the incentives, that would probably mean we are Super Bowl bound.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good god it would be nice if we finally hit on a stud Tackle. we're so freaking due it's stupid at this point. Okay Million Dollar Man (my new name for Grimm), earn your keep! Ship this line into shape and you can write your own ticket next year for a HC job.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From ESPN.com

In his final two years, according to Penn State coaches, 60 percent of the team's rushing yards came in part as a result of his blocks.

If Levi's the player that we hope he is an the FO feels he is, I believe he can make up for lost time fairly quickly. Not to underplay the importance of getting here on time, but he is not exactly starting from ground zero. We we believe some of the quotes over the past week, I also feel the signing is going to make Gandy and Ross even more productive once Brown hits the playing field.

What appears quite obvious to me from what I have seen so far...and I mentioned this in previous posts, the sideline generals are/and will be intolerant of mistakes. They appear very unforgiving and regardless of who you are, you are subject to catching a long stretch of bench if you screw up. We are not used to that.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

About time but welcome aboard Levi

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What appears quite obvious to me from what I have seen so far...and I mentioned this in previous posts, the sideline generals are/and will be intolerant of mistakes. They appear very unforgiving and regardless of who you are, you are subject to catching a long stretch of bench if you screw up. We are not used to that.

We'll see. I hope so.

But, it's pretty easy to say that with an 80 man roster in preseason. It's a whole nother ball of wax in the regular season. I mean, Denny had absolutely no problem benching guys who had a comparable backup. But, for example, who exactly was supposed to put Davis on the bench for a false start? That's why we need to hope our depth is better across the board, or Whis will have a tough time with that as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see. I hope so.

But, it's pretty easy to say that with an 80 man roster in preseason. It's a whole nother ball of wax in the regular season. I mean, Denny had absolutely no problem benching guys who had a comparable backup. But, for example, who exactly was supposed to put Davis on the bench for a false start? That's why we need to hope our depth is better across the board, or Whis will have a tough time with that as well.

Denny had no problem benching guys for no reason at all. Denny was a dick, cept for his favorites. And a bad coach to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.