Bradley given 4 year extension

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Klinsmann stated that it came down to wanting complete control of the national team and not being able to get such control agreed to in writing.

“It’s obviously always about authority. When you have conversations with a club team or a national team it’s who has the last word in what issues, and that’s why we couldn’t get into the written terms," Klinsmann said.

"Verbally we agreed on that the technical side is my side, and I should have a hundred percent control of it. In written terms, they couldn’t commit to it, and at that point I said well, I can’t get the job done because I have to have the last say as a head coach for my entire staff, for all the players issues, for everything that happens with the team.

"Unfortunately they couldn’t commit to that and that was basically the end of our talks, and then they agreed then to continue with Bob as the head coach and that’s totally fine."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...als-details-of-talks-with-us-soccer.html#more

Gulati screwed the pooch.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Gulati is such an effing moron! Ugh! First we have to deal with the nickle-and-dime operation of Bill Bidwill, and when he finally gives way to Michael and the Cards start righting things, we get this! Argh!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is more on the Klinsi thing this time from Grant Wahl...

Klinsmann told me:

• that he had agreed on financial terms with U.S. Soccer. "Yeah," Klinsmann said. "That was the first thing we got off the table."

• that negotiations between him and U.S. Soccer lasted three to four weeks.

• that an agreement in principle was reached. "Verbally, it was done," Klinsmann said. "But then the paperwork started, and we couldn't get it done in the paperwork process."

• that the full control of the technical side that he wanted in writing from U.S. Soccer -- and which caused negotiations to break down -- was something he had received from the German federation when he coached the three-time World Cup champions from 2004 to '06, reaching the semifinals of World Cup '06.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/09/22/klinsmann.talks.us.soccer/index.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bang:

Worst news I've heard all week. Worse than the Atlanta game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Such bullsh1t. I hate you Gulati.

Sir... You are a cad!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost?

Does anybody know how the leadership of US Soccer works? Was Gulati voted into his position or is he simply a CEO? I never understood the deal there.
He's appointed by the USSF board of directors. He's also unpaid, his day job being an economist for Columbia University. And if anybody asks, no the board isn't likely to get rid of him any time soon. When Gulati came aboard, the USSF was nearly bankrupt. People tend to forget that national teams have the same money issues as any other group, which is probably why Klinsmann won't be coaching for the US.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's appointed by the USSF board of directors. He's also unpaid, his day job being an economist for Columbia University. And if anybody asks, no the board isn't likely to get rid of him any time soon. When Gulati came aboard, the USSF was nearly bankrupt. People tend to forget that national teams have the same money issues as any other group, which is probably why Klinsmann won't be coaching for the US.

According to reports, they already agreed on financial terms.

Not sure what you are implying with the money angle here.

OP
OP
cardfaninfl

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Does anybody know how the leadership of US Soccer works? Was Gulati voted into his position or is he simply a CEO? I never understood the deal there.

This is mostly OPINION, but from what I understand...

Being named as a member of the "board of directors" is in large part an honorary designation. The board of directors are a collection of representatives from their specific part of soccer in the USA that only come together once or twice a year. The commissioners of the MLS and Woman Pro League are included along with about a dozen leaders from youth soccer, paralympic, adult recreational, beach, futsol and player representatives. These members get together to lobby a larger portion of the pie for their specific part of soccer.

From what I understand... Gulati and Dan Flynn (and to a MUCH smaller degree, Mike Edwards) are the USSF. Gulati and Flynn listen to everyones' input, make decisions, present the final outline and get the other board of directors to rubber stamp the policy. Any excuse that attempts to deflect blame onto the "board of directors", is crap.

Its not that the other members are ineffectual. By definition, their real job is to represent their specific segment of soccer and while being a "board of directors", get the most for their specific league and people. This puts them in competition against other members of the board. They have voting power, when it comes to policy, but their needs, wants and displeasures are expressed before actions come to a vote. Again, the vote is simply an "OK" to the decisions/compromises made by Gulati and Flynn.

Yes, they do have a vote in determining the President and CEO. But as Coyote mentioned, the canidate has to be qualified and willing to receive a very small to none, salary. Also, (IMO) it is very difficult to oust the sitting President and/or CEO because of the influence they have on other board members. What I mean by that... image you are the commissioner of (X) and have developed a good relationship with the people who help you improve your league. As the commissioner of (X), you might be a fan of the MNT, but your job is concerning a segment of soccer that only has a residual effect when it comes to MNT policy.

Right now US soccer is caught in a Catch-22. It would take a huge fan outrage and media scrutenity to force the USSF to act in a way that prioritizes a hugely successful MNT. Until we get a hugely successful MNT, the actions of the USSF may never get a huge fan outrage or media scrutenity.

Again, this mostly my opinion.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to reports, they already agreed on financial terms.

Not sure what you are implying with the money angle here.
Its not his salary, its all the peripheral stuff that I think was the problem. As Grant Wahl mentions in his article, it comes down to the US probably not being able to afford giving Klinsmann control of things like the friendly schedule. Take for instance the Brazil game that the US played after the World Cup. That was totally counterproductive towards the US becoming a better team on the field, but since the USSF needs to keep bringing in the cash, they decide they have to play against top opponent in a giant stadium with at least some of their stars (ie. Donovan) in order to sell a lot of tickets.

There's sort of a circular argument in play here, in order to make the kind of changes to the federation that the players/staff/fans/etc want, the USSF needs money, and to get money they have to do the stuff that the players/staff/fans/etc don't want. Since Klinsmann says he won't specifically say what it was that broke the deal apart there's some guesswork involved, but its likely at least some combination of the control over game scheduling, academy structure, money available for his own coaches and staff, etc. is why he passed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard