Booker Question

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by sinsay, Feb 16, 2021.

1. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

Yes, I don't have access to it, but I've read secondary reports of it. The FG% is the same in each case ("the same" within the range statistical uncertainty, that is).

2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Some would argue that you want to let Cam and Crowder to shoot after going cold like that because they're due for a make. I'm not saying its right, or wrong, but it can be argued both ways.

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Knicks fans would beg to differ after John Stark's epic disaster in Game 7 of the Finals where he shot 0-11 from 3 and 2-18 overall.:D

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Stats may say this on average but these are usually calculated over the course of the season or stretch of the season.

Streak shooters like Eddie Johnson could change over the course of a game usually after being taken out and later being reinserted after a substitution.

However, nothing in the Hornets game hinted that Cam or Crowder were going to turn it around.

The thing that most often turns it around is driving the ball to the basket and getting some layups but neither were doing any of that. Seeing the ball go through the basket seems to help.

There may also have been tangible reasons not readily obvious. Things like lighting, referees, a particular defender, confidence level or an arena can throw a player off for a particular game.

5. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I think it's likely that some people choke up under highly stressful circumstances, like Nick Anderson's four missed free throws, which otherwise had a probability of around 1%. But those are a miniscule percentage of the cases where someone is perceived to be "cold," and not enough to move the full data set.

6. 1tinsoldier

1tinsoldier Registered

Book's abundant scoring was critical these last 2 games, but again...

both he and Monty need to get serious
    he's the 10th best 3 pt shooter on the team
    we needed 1 point to win in regulation
    he had no business taking a 3 after not making one all night
    AND
    Paul is one of the best free throw shooter's in the league
    while Book hasn't been at his best at the line this season
    why was he given the ball when we needed 2 free throws to ice the overtime the first time?

Monty should make the call
    but if Booker wants to lead, and win, he should volunteer to defer to Paul for free throws
    (and share more clutch shooting assignments)

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

i just wish they’d vary it a little more between the two guys. Paul is either going to get that 17 footer or find an open guy. It gives us multiple possibilities at the end of games. With Book, it’s just going to be one on one. He’s not a good enough passer nor does he have the consistent ability to attack and dish to get someone an open shot.

1tinsoldier and Bobster like this.
  8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

You make some great points. It's something Booker needs to learn.

9. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

Booker seems to play really well vs bad teams. Maybe it’s just the recent stretch. Playoffs require greatness.

10. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Why don't you post during game threads or about anything else? All you do is show up and complain about Booker, even when we win. You are just like your buddy 1Sun, trying to keep others from enjoying the Suns as a whole.

11. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

I wish he would have gone to the elbow rather than that step back before the end of regulation. It seems like everyone is going for a step back to win no matter the circumstances.

12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

At least this time Book got a pretty clean look. We certainly could have gotten a better shot, but I like Booker’s chances of making that shot.

13. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

This is why I have said over and over Book cannot be your PG. People kept saying that over and over to play Book at the point. He just isn't a PG. Too one dimensional. Give Book the rock....he is going to create a shot. When he plays that role he presses way too much and makes bad decisions. Paul is much more unpredictable.

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Man I don’t. I’m going to guess book is somewhere around 20% or less on step back 3s.

1tinsoldier likes this.
  15. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

For me it has more to do with the flow of the game and if he is streaky at that moment. Most of the time if there is a shot that needs to be made I have no problem with Book or CP3 taking it. Much more so than anybody else on the team during high pressure moments.

I read somewhere that Booker has made more high pressure shots in his first 6 seasons then any player sans Lebron. I don't recall the criteria but they did list out all these shots. I couldn't find that article but I did find this one.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/1/21/21074905/the-definitive-list-of-phoenix-suns-devin-booker-buzzer-beating-prowess

Having said that? If the team needs last minute shot heroics? They probably didn't do their job the previous 47 minutes and deserve whatever happens on that last shot.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021