Bob Iger Says Star Wars and Marvel Movies Will Continue Forever

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob Iger Says Star Wars and Marvel Movies Will Continue Forever

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ies-will-continue-forever#teuItHVZKUgAUS1I.99

Last year a little movie came out that you might have heard of, it was called Star Wars: The Force Awakens and to date it has made over $1.9 billion at the global box office. It’s the first in a whole slew of Star Wars films set to be distributed by The Walt Disney Company, including Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars: Episode VIII, Star Wars: Episode IX, and a Young Han Solo spin-off.

Now, surprising no one, word has come that Disney is already planning on making even more beyond the next four films.

“There are five Star Wars films – four more with Episode VII: The Force Awakens – that are in varying stages of development and production,” Disney chairman Bob Iger tells Newsbeat. “There will be more after that, I don’t know how many, I don’t know how often.”

The really interesting thing from this quote is Iger’s hesitation on the release pattern for these unannounced movies. Might Disney stray from their currently-plotted annual release? Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is set for release on December 16, 2016 with Star Wars: Episode VIII recently moving to December 15, 2017. The Untitled Han Solo movie is currently set for May 25, 2018 with Episode IX to follow on an unannounced 2019 date.

Shifting gears, Iger also spoke about the other major brand at Disney with Marvel, whose twelve theatrical releases have brought in over $9 billion at the global box office. Hold on to your hats for this one, as Iger says that these films won’t stop either.

“Marvel, you’re dealing with thousands and thousands of characters – that will go on forever.”

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If it makes a profit, why would they stop..

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films

Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going to write and produce a new series of “Star Wars” films, Disney announced on Tuesday.

The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga that started with “Star Wars: A New Hope” and is slated to wrap up with 2019’s “Star Wars: Episode IX.” It will also exist independently from a Rian Johnson-helmed series that was announced last year.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Translation: Expect at least one Star Wars movie a year every year until we've saturated the franchise to death.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Translation: Expect at least one Star Wars movie a year every year until we've saturated the franchise to death.

they're just making Star Wars so less special than it's ever been.

I'm super curious if they just think the words STAR WARS are going to bring people into the theaters. Sure, Rian Johnson and the GOT guys can go off and make their own trilogies... but if they can't create super mythical stories with beloved characters, I'm dubious that just slapping Star Wars on the frontwill lead to buku deniro. Marvel gets away with making movies until the end of time because EVERYTHING comes from DECADES of beloved characters, who's history is beyond deep and rich. Same can't be said about Star Wars. It's not like you see Marvel creating NEW superheroes. It's all established IP.

I think Solo will be a big harbinger of things to come as far as them making movies till the end of time. Yes, it's one of the OT characters, but it's not WITH the OT actor that made people love the character. It feels like they're doing the Star Wars version of that awful Dumb and Dumber prequel back in the day without Daniels or Carey.

That said, maybe this works if every movie isn't a 150 million production, but studios don't seem to be making mid-majors at the 20-50 million dollar price tag and even if they did, I don't think they'd be able to pull off the scope any Star Wars movies has to have.

But they'll definitely try and have no reason not to at this point. What I'd rather see is them finally go the TV route... do what Marvel has done with Daredevil, Jess Jones, Punisher... take those smaller character and make some great TV shows about them. They'll probably do both in the long run.

Anyway, fascinating to watch from a writer's perspective which way they chose to go.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're just making Star Wars so less special than it's ever been.

I'm super curious if they just think the words STAR WARS are going to bring people into the theaters. Sure, Rian Johnson and the GOT guys can go off and make their own trilogies... but if they can't create super mythical stories with beloved characters, I'm dubious that just slapping Star Wars on the frontwill lead to buku deniro. Marvel gets away with making movies until the end of time because EVERYTHING comes from DECADES of beloved characters, who's history is beyond deep and rich. Same can't be said about Star Wars. It's not like you see Marvel creating NEW superheroes. It's all established IP.

I think Solo will be a big harbinger of things to come as far as them making movies till the end of time. Yes, it's one of the OT characters, but it's not WITH the OT actor that made people love the character. It feels like they're doing the Star Wars version of that awful Dumb and Dumber prequel back in the day without Daniels or Carey.

How do you feel about the Harry Potter Prequels?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the Harry Potter Prequels?

I don't really care about Harry Potter. But the first one didn't exactly break records with only 234 million domestic. It made a really good amount of coin foreign and that helps, but will that series go up or down from here? Time will tell.

But like I said, I don't really care about Potter so whether they lose their "specialness" is pretty immaterial to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

yeah...I saw this on FB... with all the added violence and sex it should add fans in the younger demographics...
but with all the added violence and sex...
lets just hope they aint doing.... CHEWBACA.... A Star Wars Story

all that hair pulling and choking during wookie S&M might be a bit much for the youngsters.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...I saw this on FB... with all the added violence and sex it should add fans in the younger demographics...
but with all the added violence and sex...
lets just hope they aint doing.... CHEWBACA.... A Star Wars Story

all that hair pulling and choking during wookie S&M might be a bit much for the youngsters.

Chewy has been naked the whole time. The shock value is gone. Then again, we don't know what he's been carrying in that purse of his. :eek:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't really care about Harry Potter. But the first one didn't exactly break records with only 234 million domestic. It made a really good amount of coin foreign and that helps, but will that series go up or down from here? Time will tell.

But like I said, I don't really care about Potter so whether they lose their "specialness" is pretty immaterial to me.
You're dead.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many feel the same way about Star Wars. I would hazard a guess that many people in their twenties and thirties have flipped reactions to you - care far more about HP than Star Wars, when it comes to continuity, or the added Star Wars stories.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've never read a Harry Potter book or seen a Harry Potter film. :shrug:

Any good? :)
You're dead too.

To me, Harry Potter is the perfect series to feel like a giddy kid again. Every movie in the series is good, some better than others, but none of them are bad.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're dead too.

To me, Harry Potter is the perfect series to feel like a giddy kid again. Every movie in the series is good, some better than others, but none of them are bad.

A New Hope is the best movie of all of them, but the Harry Potter SERIES, as a whole, is much better than the Star Wars series, to date.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many feel the same way about Star Wars. I would hazard a guess that many people in their twenties and thirties have flipped reactions to you - care far more about HP than Star Wars, when it comes to continuity, or the added Star Wars stories.

hasn't seemed that way at the box office, where good or bad, the Star Wars movies crush everything in all other series. That doesn't happen if most people in their thirties and twenties don't care as much. Either way, I don't really care all that much either.

I just don't want Star Wars till the end of time over studios actually making good solid stories that don't have a 2 at the end of them. But that ain't gonna happen either so I'll just bitch about it here!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A New Hope is the best movie of all of them, but the Harry Potter SERIES, as a whole, is much better than the Star Wars series, to date.

interesting conundrum. (By the way ESB is the best one) My homeboy George Lucas was not very creative when it came to story telling. He was never going to be a Dickens or a Hemingway. His story of farm boy saves princess from evil overlord has been done a gazillion and twenty three times. So,..can SW compete with Harry Potter in the realms of story and character development? No.

George didnt tell a horribly creative story. What George did was create an infinitely creative universe to tell stories within. Unfortunately for George Hollywood was greatly lacking in the tools to tell his stories properly. So George created a new company, Industrial Light and Magic, to advance the effects technology in Hollywood so he could tell his stories on the big screen where they were designed to be.

For forty years ILM has been pushing the boundaries of special effects technology and making movie magic in Hollywood better than any other. This of course pushed others to also increase their tech so they could stay competitive. What resulted from this competition is the fantastic special effects we see every day now even on regular television.

What resulted was Harry Potter. A well written story of a group of young wizards dodging various hazards as they faced the world. A fantastic story that never would have made it past the first movie if the flying books had to be bounced around the set with piano strings. A fantastic story that would have been a colossal flop if all the amazing magical creatures had been made of costume fur and paper mache'.

George had a dream. But had to create entirely new technologies to see his dream come to life. We can see the progressions of that dream throughout the SW trilogies. When we watch ANH and see how poorly it was done it is hard to remember that it was truly fantastic in its time. But the Harry Potter movies never would have happened without it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
interesting conundrum. (By the way ESB is the best one) My homeboy George Lucas was not very creative when it came to story telling. He was never going to be a Dickens or a Hemingway. His story of farm boy saves princess from evil overlord has been done a gazillion and twenty three times. So,..can SW compete with Harry Potter in the realms of story and character development? No.

George didnt tell a horribly creative story. What George did was create an infinitely creative universe to tell stories within. Unfortunately for George Hollywood was greatly lacking in the tools to tell his stories properly. So George created a new company, Industrial Light and Magic, to advance the effects technology in Hollywood so he could tell his stories on the big screen where they were designed to be.

For forty years ILM has been pushing the boundaries of special effects technology and making movie magic in Hollywood better than any other. This of course pushed others to also increase their tech so they could stay competitive. What resulted from this competition is the fantastic special effects we see every day now even on regular television.

What resulted was Harry Potter. A well written story of a group of young wizards dodging various hazards as they faced the world. A fantastic story that never would have made it past the first movie if the flying books had to be bounced around the set with piano strings. A fantastic story that would have been a colossal flop if all the amazing magical creatures had been made of costume fur and paper mache'.

George had a dream. But had to create entirely new technologies to see his dream come to life. We can see the progressions of that dream throughout the SW trilogies. When we watch ANH and see how poorly it was done it is hard to remember that it was truly fantastic in its time. But the Harry Potter movies never would have happened without it.
I think that's fair. That's why I find it interesting how much flack James Cameron gets for Avatar. Poor story but very good execution. A good description of A New Hope. Question now is if Cameron has an Empire Strikes Back in him. He's generally VERY good at 2nd movies in series (see Aliens and T2), so holding out hope.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some great points.

One can be a fan of both series :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think that's fair. That's why I find it interesting how much flack James Cameron gets for Avatar. Poor story but very good execution. A good description of A New Hope. Question now is if Cameron has an Empire Strikes Back in him. He's generally VERY good at 2nd movies in series (see Aliens and T2), so holding out hope.

I took Avatar for what it was because the first time I saw it was in Imax 3D and thats what it was designed for. The rest of it was just crap political mumbo jumbo. But I love the movie because its a great spectacle.
I heard they have 4 or 5 more of those in the mix? Sure is taking them a long time to get one on the screen.

Can you imagine how poor Avatar would have been without ILM? With puppet creatures and latex masks on all the natives? Everything having to be double screened to show the size of the natives...damn that woulda really sucked, lol.

when I was a kid one of the best sci-fi horror movies out there was "The Incredible Melting Man"... I saw it on late night TV a few years ago and turned it on... that crap is totally unwatchable.
Since they have invested now 8 years into sequeling Avatar I think they will do well with it. Though I think it would be wise to not over hype the movie...huge expectations creates disappointed viewers. An Avatar sequel is going to draw a huge audience anyway...and when the first viewers report to their friends that the best parts aint in the trailers it will just get bigger...with everyone walking away pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Some great points.

One can be a fan of both series :)
Absolutely Jon, I love them both. It just surprises me sometimes that people forget what we were watching 40 years ago, and how fickle a movie going audience can be. Star Wars was instrumental in changing the movie landscape for future generations. It placed a focus on special effects and how they are created. The success that ILM has had has drastically increased the potential for story telling on film. Movies like The Lord of The Rings could never have been well made without those advances in effects tech.

Interesting trivia:
Early on George Lucas was patent crazy...he patented everything ILM and LucasFilm did that was different. So, a few years later we get "Battlestar Galactica" on TV...awesome right?... but before they released the pilot they had to go back and edit out the lasers... because Lucas had patented lasers... thus, forever more Galactica would just show a flash at the blaster then an explosion wherever it hit.

Maybe Dr Strange could initiate a crossover. Drop Rey off at Hogwarts, where we find out that magic is actually just the force, but in their world you need a combination of words and gestures to guide it...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Jon, I love them both. It just surprises me sometimes that people forget what we were watching 40 years ago, and how fickle a movie going audience can be. Star Wars was instrumental in changing the movie landscape for future generations. It placed a focus on special effects and how they are created. The success that ILM has had has drastically increased the potential for story telling on film. Movies like The Lord of The Rings could never have been well made without those advances in effects tech.

Interesting trivia:
Early on George Lucas was patent crazy...he patented everything ILM and LucasFilm did that was different. So, a few years later we get "Battlestar Galactica" on TV...awesome right?... but before they released the pilot they had to go back and edit out the lasers... because Lucas had patented lasers... thus, forever more Galactica would just show a flash at the blaster then an explosion wherever it hit.

Maybe Dr Strange could initiate a crossover. Drop Rey off at Hogwarts, where we find out that magic is actually just the force, but in their world you need a combination of words and gestures to guide it...

use the force, harry!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m wondering if the last couple Avatars end up being shot 360 so they can be completely immersive VR IMAX experiences. Dude is ALWAYS pushing the envelope on special effects and I expect him to do the same with these movies.

I also expect everyone to say the next one is going to be a flop, the first one didn’t age well, yada yada yada... and then sit back and watch it breaks every box office record just like he’s done repeatedly.

The man makes big spectacle cinema better than anyone else... pretty much ever. And his movies usually have at least a decent brain to them, not to mention massively kick-ass female protoganists.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard