Boardwalk Empire

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just caught an extended preview of this before Boxing After Dark last night.... I am already hooked.

Premiers on HBO on September 19th, a week before Dexter goes live on Showtime.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah, this show looks awesome. I don't have HBO anymore, but I will surely grab the DVDs from netflix as soon as they're available.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid first episode. Will definitely keep watching.

I was dozing so bad I had to stop it. Will finish tonight but the first 30 minutes didnt give me much hope.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid first episode. Will definitely keep watching.

i'm with ya. wasn't stupendous but I liked almost every character introduced and Buscemi and Pitt are really solid leads, both of them being more nuanced than I expected. Also, Arnold Rothstein is already a great character, played by Michael Stuthgard who was equally as great in a role 180 degrees different in the Coen Bros "A Serious Man".

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I liked the pilot. It reportedly cost $20M to make that episode and it showed. I do wonder whether they will attempt to maintain some sort of historical accuracy though.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the pilot. It reportedly cost $20M to make that episode and it showed. I do wonder whether they will attempt to maintain some sort of historical accuracy though.

I know they changed Steve Buchemi's characters last name so they can take a few freedoms from history, but from what I've read they will stay close to the real history.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic. Buscemi's character has real depth and was much more likeable than I thought he would be. The historic feel was captured quite well, and it has an interesting story. I'll be watching again.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic. Buscemi's character has real depth and was much more likeable than I thought he would be. The historic feel was captured quite well, and it has an interesting story. I'll be watching again.

For sure. Loved the sets, costumes and dialogue. Very authentic. They obviously did a lot of research on the period.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked the last 40 minutes much better than the first 30. However if this this show costs so much to make just like Carnivale and Rome etc.. etc.. I'm wondering what the incentive to keep watching is? You know HBO will just **** can it due to production costs just like those shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked the last 40 minutes much better than the first 30. However if this this show costs so much to make just like Carnivale and Rome etc.. etc.. I'm wondering what the incentive to keep watching is? You know HBO will just **** can it due to production costs just like those shows.

Viewership will be MUCH higher for this show than Deadwood or Carnivale which both starred relative no-names and didn't have the names Buscemi, Scorcese or Winter attached to it.

i also wouldn't expect further episodes to be as extravagant as the pilot was.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Incredible period recreation--you can almost feel that the events in Carnivale are happening at the same time across the country... (although technically, Carnivale took place during the late 20s)

Very well made and you could tell Scorsese directed the pilot--his signature was all over the place.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Very curious to see how they develop the al capone character and where it leads with jimmy

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That was a fun premier.... Loved it.

Al Capone, and the war between AC and NYC will be fun to watch.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding episode. My only issue is the sheer amount of characters you need to get to know but I am pretty sure by episode 4 or 5 we will know everyone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding episode. My only issue is the sheer amount of characters you need to get to know but I am pretty sure by episode 4 or 5 we will know everyone.

I suspect you're right but I wouldn't be shocked if there's several new ones to get to know while some of the current characters fall (bloodily) by the wayside.

Steve

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Good follow up episode def gave off a sopranos feel with the ending. Buscemi might be right up there with bryan cranston both somehow make the character so intriguing that you have to watch.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have HBO for free for a year. I think Cox knows what it's doing with that promo. (Will likely have to keep it since sis and I are getting sucked into shows on HBO.)

I started watching the first episode and got interrupted. Am going to get back to it soon. I liked what I saw so far.

On a side note, one of my former bosses from Jersey knows one of the writers. Pretty cool stuff.