Blade Runner 2049

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alcon Eyeing 'Blade Runner' Reboot
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/alcon-entertainment-eyeing-blade-runner-163406

Alcon Entertainment, the company behind The Blind Side, is looking to bring the world of Blade Runner back to the big screen.

The 1982 cult classic, which was directed by Ridley Scott and starred Harrison Ford, was based on a Philip K. Dick novel titled Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The company is in final negotiations to acquire the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller.

------------------------------

Ugh. The Hollywood reporter can't even spell the main character's name correctly.

Horrible idea. Prequels...sequels? :barf:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Alcon Eyeing 'Blade Runner' Reboot
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/alcon-entertainment-eyeing-blade-runner-163406

Alcon Entertainment, the company behind The Blind Side, is looking to bring the world of Blade Runner back to the big screen.

The 1982 cult classic, which was directed by Ridley Scott and starred Harrison Ford, was based on a Philip K. Dick novel titled Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The company is in final negotiations to acquire the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller.

------------------------------

Ugh. The Hollywood reporter can't even spell the main character's name correctly.

Horrible idea. Prequels...sequels? :barf:

If it's a remake, sure, it's a bad idea. But if they just want to go back to that world, what's wrong with that? I wasn't a huge fan of the original anyway.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the original in the theater. Loved it. Then I saw Scott's Director's cut at the original (one and only, IMHO) Cine Capri. Didn't like the changes, especially when he tinkered with the source material.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a remake, sure, it's a bad idea. But if they just want to go back to that world, what's wrong with that? I wasn't a huge fan of the original anyway.

I thought it was okay but highly overrated when people start talking about it as greatest sci-fi movie ever. I'd probably give it a chance even if it's a remake but there are a lot of sci-fi stories I'd rather see given this kind of attention.

Steve

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really wanted to like the original, as every other nerd in the 'verse seems to, but the only thing I really like in the whole movie was Harrison Ford's haircut.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to like the original, as every other nerd in the 'verse seems to,
Me, too. I've rewatched a few times to see if I missed something, but I don't think it lives up to any close to its legend.

I have no problem with a remake of this movie. In fact, I'm all for it--maybe they can make it watchable.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will answer the question:

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God I'm not alone in my "I don't get it" opinion of Blade Runner. I'm with Pariah; maybe they can make it watchable. IMO, the only good thing to come out of it was More Human than Human by White Zombie.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought Prill was hot but that's just me

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will answer the question:

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Hello? Anyone? This is the name of the Phillip K. Dick novel that the movie is roughly based on. Sort of. :mulli:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me as another one who didn't "get it." I'm not even sure I was entertained.

But never mess with a Dick fan. Those people have their own special kind of zeal, and some are as crazy as Dick was. (And he was REALLY crazy. The history behind his writing of VALIS was enough to make me consider reading any of his books, and he's written some good ones. I sometimes wonder if A Scanner Darkly was in fact the greatest insight into Dick's reality.).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy Phillip K. Dick's work...sometimes. I like the noir feel in scifi settings.

oh, and another "Dick fan" joke: I hear they sell those on the internet. You folks in Arizona should look into them this summer. It gets so hot.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let the record show I did not "go there," but I knew that it would even though I didn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
count me as one more cinefile who doesn't "get it" when it comes to the fawning over this movie. it's interesting and was probably ahead of it's time, but if i hadn't have gone to see it re-released in the theater last year, I would have never been able to sit through it. couldn't do it at home, could barely do it when i paid for it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ridley Scott to Direct Another 'Blade Runner'

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/18/idUS328171483020110818

Ridley Scott is returning to his roots, revisiting his definitive -- and beloved -- cyberpunk film "Blade Runner," for Alcon Entertainment.

Filmmakers haven't hired a writer yet, and are still figuring out what the story will be, producer Andrew Kosove told TheWrap Thursday.

"This is arguably the greatest science fiction movie ever made and we're not remaking it," he said. "It's a prequel or a sequel."

Alcon secured the rights to "Blade Runner" for prequels, sequels and other projects last March.

They knew then that they wanted Scott to direct.

:|

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of those "classics" I could care less if they remake. Seriously, there was incredibly cheesy acting and writing in this movie. Sorry if that is blasphemy but this movie could use a remake IMO.

Not that I didn't think the concept or message was brilliant. I did. The execution to me was just too cheesy. Maybe it came off that way because I didn't see it when it first came out and by the time I did see it, it seemed "dated".

At any rate, remake it. Hopefully, it's better than the original.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Blade Runner 2?

Sir Ridley Scott is worried a meeting with Harrison Ford about ‘Blade Runner 2’ may have led to his accident on the set of ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’.

“We met the night before he had the accident,” reveals Scott, “so I hope I had nothing to do with it.”

The pair were together in London to discuss the follow-up to their beloved 1982 sci-fi film, which according to the director has been written and is ready to go.

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/ridley-scott-updates-us-on-prometheus-2-and-blade-98235330841.html

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
http://www.the-shoe-horn.com/entertainment/michael-bay-penned-to-direct-stunning-blade-runner-remake/

"In a move that’s certain to set sci-fi and action film fan’s pulses racing, Warner Brothers has announced award winning sci-fi director, Michael Bay, to head production in the long awaited prequel to Ridley Scott’s cyberpunk classic."

Guess I'll be the one dissenter and say how much I've always enjoyed this film, AND look forward to the new version. I remember seeing this on its opening day with a few fellow sci-fi nerds. At that time, the genre was about shiny technology, everything being better/easier, and optimistic to the point of being campy. Then Blade Runner opened. It was dark, the music haunting, and (I believe) purposefully slow to have the audience experience how pitifully mundane and sad the future could become with advanced technology. It was a dystopian society cause not by annihilation or disaster, but by progress. At the time, nothing in sci-fi came close to the classic film noir style and layered messages of Blade Runner. I remember thinking I had never seen anything like it before.

As much as I loved it then, I'll be the first to say it doesn't hold up well now. Every other movie opening seems to have a dystopian theme (so much it should have its own genre) and the SFX/stunts are extremely dated by today's standard. Hopefully a more juiced up remake/sequel/prequel will get people to rewatch the original, and disregard the antiquated aspects and focus on its very complex story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Both Michael Bay and Ridley Scott have lost a step, so hopes are not high for this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson