Blade Runner 2049

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am looking forward to it. Having Decker even in a small role adds credibility to any sequel they could have done. Having Harrison Ford revise Decker gives it a bit more boost.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am looking forward to it. Having Decker even in a small role adds credibility to any sequel they could have done. Having Harrison Ford revise Decker gives it a bit more boost.
No doubt. They also seem to have kept the visual style and music, which is something I always enjoyed about the first.

And Han Solo gets to meet Drax :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ive never watched the 1st blade runner, so i better get caught up

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fingers are crossed that they can pull this off. Trailer looks good as far as that can take you.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, the new movie will leave it up in the air about whether or not Deckard is a replicant. I just hate this. I guess they figure if they "leave it unresolved," people will talk about it, indirectly resulting in more folks going to the movie.

It's just B.S. Changing Deckard's character to a replicant totally ruins the whole premise of the original story. Scott can kma. I watched his two "updates" once each.... and will not watch them again.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, the new movie will leave it up in the air about whether or not Deckard is a replicant. I just hate this. I guess they figure if they "leave it unresolved," people will talk about it, indirectly resulting in more folks going to the movie.

It's just B.S. Changing Deckard's character to a replicant totally ruins the whole premise of the original story. Scott can kma. I watched his two "updates" once each.... and will not watch them again.

I don't agree it ruins the premise. It actually makes the premise more interesting if Deckard is one because it creates an entirely new set of mysteries and questions. The debate is one of the things that kept people talking about the movie all these years.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original story is about humanity. Deckard being an android just won't work in that.

If you haven't read "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep," I heartily recommend that you so. It will make a lot more sense for you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original story is about humanity. Deckard being an android just won't work in that.

If you haven't read "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep," I heartily recommend that you so. It will make a lot more sense for you.

I actually have read that. It doesn't change my view. Even if Deckard is a replicant the story is still ultimately about humanity. What is humanity? How is it defined? How far will we go to protect a particular view of humanity. None of that changes.

It just opens the door to more questions and more debate about the "whys" of it all. This is one of the most popular debates in film history. I hope they don't answer it.

It's just like some of the Nolan films. It's much more fun to debate the unanswered questions.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have read that. It doesn't change my view. Even if Deckard is a replicant the story is still ultimately about humanity. What is humanity? How is it defined? How far will we go to protect a particular view of humanity. None of that changes.

It just opens the door to more questions and more debate about the "whys" of it all. This is one of the most popular debates in film history. I hope they don't answer it.

It's just like some of the Nolan films. It's much more fun to debate the unanswered questions.

But to me, there isn't even a qustion. Dick was clear about that.... and Blade Runner is, in fact, a compacted version of Dick's novel. Scott is about the only person of import in the process who makes the replicant claim.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I agree with you.

To which I reply: (to Scott and new director)

If Deckard is a replicant why has he aged?

Ridley Scott created this controversy out of thin air. It's absurd, talk about taking creative license.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I really liked it. The music that was used was trippy. There was a lot of talking and explaining but still liked it!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz Is it over yet? Drink some caffeine before seeing this. Lots. I've only ever fallen asleep for a movie once and this was close.

It wasn't bad, but geez if you thought the first one had a slow pace this one is brutally slow. It's 2:45 and could have easily been an hour less.

The music is in line with the original, but too loud in some spots; maybe it was the theater... Some amazing visuals, especially when the hologram integrates in the one scene. Very cool.

I'd be very surprised if this makes its production budget domestically.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Weird that it's getting acclaim from critics and fans alike. None of my friends thought it was great. The best review was kind of meh, and the worst was a deconstructing rant that tore it to shreds. Ah well.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Yes, it does have a slow pace but it's always interesting and visually stunning.

About this whole Deckard could be a replicant controversy, glad I haven't been reading the RS behind the scenes narrative because it's been obvious to me that he's human. I never read the original short story either so good to hear it confirmed.

So, does everybody agree that "Joe" dies at the end? He appears to but to me it doesn't mean they can't bring him back. His computer brain could just be installed in a new skin job. Also, lots of room for a sequel about the whole replicant uprising.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Yes, it does have a slow pace but it's always interesting and visually stunning.

About this whole Deckard could be a replicant controversy, glad I haven't been reading the RS behind the scenes narrative because it's been obvious to me that he's human. I never read the original short story either so good to hear it confirmed.

So, does everybody agree that "Joe" dies at the end? He appears to but to me it doesn't mean they can't bring him back. His computer brain could just be installed in a new skin job. Also, lots of room for a sequel about the whole replicant uprising.

Yep, I thought the same thing. He's not dead and there will be squeals. Especially the main dude that was blind. He's still alive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I thought the same thing. He's not dead and there will be squeals. Especially the main dude that was blind. He's still alive.

There won't be sequels because it's a relative bomb compared to its budget.

But I thought it was very good... which is surprising because I am SUPER lukewarm on the original. For 2.5 hours, I didn't feel it really drag all that much either

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

But I thought it was very good... which is surprising because I am SUPER lukewarm on the original. For 2.5 hours, I didn't feel it really drag all that much either

I want to see this tomorrow.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this last night, enjoyed it for the most part. As everyone has said the visuales held my interest throughout. I've watched the original about 50 times over the years and this one doesn't have that appeal, imo. Gosling was just a little too 'clean cut' for me, not a hair out of place, perfect stubble beard, not a spec of dirt on his clothes, etc.... Yeah, he did have a bandage on his nose for all of 2 min. I would have preferred someone who had more of an edge to his face given the line of work he was in. His persona carried little weight for me.

3.2 stars out of 4

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I didn't feel it did either. I was just expecting more action.