Bidwill says Saints demands led them away from Payton

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Broncos sent the Saints the first round pick they received from Miami (that was originally San Fran's) #29 overall and next years second and in turn received a third rounder next year as well. I don't know about others on this board but our second round pick is only 5 slots lower at #34 so if we packaged that with a 2 next year and received say only a 4th rounder back instead of a 3rd that is a pretty similar package and I would have taken that deal. Maybe Payton is assembling his staff slowly but the guy would have brought instant credibility to the franchise and enthusiam to the fanbase something which is tbd with Gannon. Maybe Gannon will prove to be a better hire in the long run but as is stands right now its a big unknown especially with most of his staff having little to no experience in their new roles.
34 alone was too much to pay for payton.
Mike took the better option

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The current trend in the NFL is up & coming younger coaches from all over, college included. Maybe the hiring process is passing Payton by lol?

Payton is one of those old dudes phoning around his old pals from him little black book he hasn't updated for 15 years only to find half of them are dead and the other half retired.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then how it was an issue with Cunningham? Bidwill is lying.

Can’t wait to get some red thumbs-down/disagrees
How can MB saying money was not the issue with signing Payton (which is what this thread is about?) get to being an issue with Cunningham (which we are not talking about?) and calling MB a liar?

Two totally different circumstances. IMO.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be like this:

Payton wants $20M a year and MB thinks he really is the guy. No problem.

Cunningham wants $6M a year. Ossenfort wants $3M a year. MB thinks both are equally strong candidates and maybe the only difference is salary. Why pay twice the amount 5of you don't think he's worth it?

Maybe MB is willing to pay if the value warrants it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Then how it was an issue with Cunningham? Bidwill is lying.

Can’t wait to get some red thumbs-down/disagrees
Cool, have my red thumbs down. We'd have shredded Bidwill for hiring someone from the Bears' front office after their terrible year, and funny enough, might have ended up with Gannon anyways, given that Cunningham was one year removed from being in the Eagles' front office.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
80% money. 20% picks. Bidwill ain’t got Walmart money.

He claims all that is behind the cardinal's and only wants to look forward.

Bidwill mentions his 200 million he has invested into the facilities. Every interview, multiple time in the interview. What’s that all about?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
80% money. 20% picks. Bidwill ain’t got Walmart money.

He claims all that is behind the cardinal's and only wants to look forward.

Bidwill mentions his 200 million he has invested into the facilities. Every interview, multiple time in the interview. What’s that all about?
Uh, probably a critical talking point for getting the Super Bowl back to the valley, and reiterating his commitment to the league to make it happen again?

Like it or not, he's an ambassador of the state to the league, and even further, an ambassador to drive business to the state.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Uh, probably a critical talking point for getting the Super Bowl back to the valley, and reiterating his commitment to the league to make it happen again?

Like it or not, he's an ambassador of the state to the league, and even further, an ambassador to drive business to the state.
I’m happy with what Bidwill has done so far. I’m glad Bidwill was not able to stroke Payton’s ego.

Probably should not have mentioned the repetitive 200 million talks. I was thinking he was mentioning it because of the recent noise about him being cheap.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bidwill also said he is committed to winning.
i dont question that

i question the competence to do it

as of today, Mike gets credit for doing a complete reset of his football operations with people from outside the organization. It would have been far, far cheaper and comfortable for him to simply promote Quentin Harris and make VJ the HC. He didnt, and that says he is committed.

time will tell if he picked the right people or not--i.e. competence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose