Bidwill says Saints demands led them away from Payton

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Saints demands from the Cards may have been greater than that of the Broncos. The Saints wanted him out of the NFC so they wouldn't be competing with another team for a playoff spot.
i was thinking the same thing

reportedly, required compensation from the Panthers would have been the highest given they are in the same division

stands to reason that being in the same conference would have carried a premium as well

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was one of those wanting Payton here as long as we didn't need to give up the 3rd overall pick in the draft. However, I am really glad that we have Jonathan Gannon and the youth movement of coaches instead. Especially watching Gannon assemble his staff versus Payton slowly assembling his staff after he reportedly had a list of coaches he'd bring with him - none of which seemed to join him in Denver, so far.

I believe Gannon can change the culture as much as Payton may have and will be here much longer (if things go well). I think Payton is in it for a shorter time. Gannon is just getting started.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was one of those wanting Payton here as long as we didn't need to give up the 3rd overall pick in the draft. However, I am really glad that we have Jonathan Gannon and the youth movement of coaches instead. Especially watching Gannon assemble his staff versus Payton slowly assembling his staff after he reportedly had a list of coaches he'd bring with him - none of which seemed to join him in Denver, so far.

I believe Gannon can change the culture as much as Payton may have and will be here much longer (if things go well). I think Payton is in it for a shorter time. Gannon is just getting started.
I totally agree with you.. I too wanted Payton as he is an excellent coach. However, I really like Monti and Gannon. They are going to change the culture that's for sure. We just need to be a little patient as it won't happen overnight. I would be happy if we are competitive this year and a playoff contender in 2024. There is parity in this league and that can surely happen.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson