Best Sushi Joint

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I havent had the opportunity to go there yet... I might actually head up there on Tuesday..... Let's hope they dont have Sake there or well........

Sake Bombs $5.75 or so the sign says.

Look out Hana Sushi!!!!

:D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sake Bombs $5.75 or so the sign says.

Look out Hana Sushi!!!!

:D

Nah... I'm not really a lush... I just played one lastnight.. haha...

Seriously, Ive learned from my last Sake experience... I once had a lunch consisting of Shittake Mushrooms/Steak along a kettle of Sake... I didnt know how potent Sake was, so I just sat there downing it like it was water.... Suddenly, I noticed the effects it had on me when I began screaming out loud... "SAKE TO ME" before every shot.... Then... after that.. I didnt drink any alcohol for several years........

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah... I'm not really a lush... I just played one lastnight.. haha...

Seriously, Ive learned from my last Sake experience... I once had a lunch consisting of Shittake Mushrooms/Steak along a kettle of Sake... I didnt know how potent Sake was, so I just sat there downing it like it was water.... Suddenly, I noticed the effects it had on me when I began screaming out loud... "SAKE TO ME" before every shot.... Then... after that.. I didnt drink any alcohol for several years........

Sake can sneak up on you really quick, I know. It's quite dangerous.

I adore Sake Bombs...they are like manna from heaven.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I went to a place in Chi-town that had fresh wasabi from Japan.

OMG, extra painful sinus suicide!

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
You absolutely cannot beat Todai for sushi (and crab legs and lobster and hot foods as well). I was pissed when the one in Phoenix closed. Now whenever I'm in LA Todai is a must.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had Ichiban Sushi on University in Tempe last night. Man, I miss this place. We used to go after Cards' games. I had the crunchy spicy tuna, wantons, drinks with the gf for $25! Gotta love the happy hour menu. :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The person that makes the sushi used to work at Mr. Sushi on I-17 and northern near the Hampton Inn.

He owns Hana Sushi, from what I discovered today.

Also, they are closed from July 1-15th.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had Sushi 101 (University and Rural) yesterday. That place is pretty good and the happy hour pricing is good. The rolls are very small compared to Aso and other places though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know they have come out in the last two years or so with these deep fried rolls. They are Sushi heaven IMO.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I heart sushi. In the sacramento area, Mikuni's is pretty big. Tokyo Fro's is a hip-happening sushi joint.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in joining me at Hana's Sushi some so we can drink some Sake Bombs in KOC's honor? Please let me know and we can arrange for a large get-2-gether....

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in joining me at Hana's Sushi some so we can drink some Sake Bombs in KOC's honor? Please let me know and we can arrange for a large get-2-gether....
You KNOW I'm there!!!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yes, Kanpai is next to the bowling alley. They are a bit slow, but good food.

Soba are the buckwheat noodles, traditionally served either in a broth with tempura sizzling alongside, or cold with dipping sauces.

Ah, yes...Kanpai was great. We used to go there every Friday nite. Now that we live in the SE Valley, I like Kobe Tappan - good fresh stuff and they also to TeppanYaki.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Anyone tried Tokyo Lobby in the Walmart plaza on 59th ave and Bell Road? I had it for dinner tonight.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
nope - any good?

for those looking for a westside fix - tomo japanese cuisine on dysart just south of mcdowell is pretty good - much better than the local ichibans

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Anyone tried Hana Japanese Eatery? It was rated in the New Times as a good Japanese restaurant. The chef used to work at Ayako in the Biltmore Fashion Park.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've been to so many here in the Valley... I LOVE Sushi! So many are so good, but my new favorite is Pure. Located in the new Hayden Crossing Shopping Center at the Southweast corner of Hayden and Thompson Peak roads...
Awesome place!!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mmmm sushi in the desert

Mmmmm... sushi in the midwest... :D

But seriously, I'm from the northeast. Grew up mins. from beaches and less than 1/2 hour from NYC. Only been here in the desert ofr 7 years now... I've had sushi all over America, in all major cities and not-so major cities... Have had sushi in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai...

I think the "taste" of really high-quality sushi (the fish) really doesn't change all that dramatically from place to place. It's more what is combined with it and the presentation that sets places apart...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmmmm... sushi in the midwest... :D

But seriously, I'm from the northeast. Grew up mins. from beaches and less than 1/2 hour from NYC. Only been here in the desert ofr 7 years now... I've had sushi all over America, in all major cities and not-so major cities... Have had sushi in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai...

I think the "taste" of really high-quality sushi (the fish) really doesn't change all that dramatically from place to place. It's more what is combined with it and the presentation that sets places apart...
Transporting fish in 120 degrees works better than in 20 below?

The size of the pieces, the price, and the freshness, in my experience, do vary greatly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Transporting fish in 120 degrees works better than in 20 below?

I forgot that up in The Windy City, ya'all still use horse & buggy to transport food and such...

:)

The size of the pieces, the price, and the freshness, in my experience, do vary greatly.

Size? Yes, I agree...

Price? Most definitely agree...

Freshness? Well, call me a sushi snob - but I choose my sushi joints very carefully... No guarantees of course, and I have experienced some bad stuff (although not in long time now...). But more often than not, I'll let a few others be the guinea pigs if a new joint pops open... :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn