Belichick and Patriots parting ways (Hired Jerod Mayo)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve heard from a diehard Patriots fan that ILB Coach Mayo may be the choice. That would be a huge mistake. Yes, Vrabel makes too much sense.

I get the impression they held onto Mayo when other jobs were available by promising him HC after BB. Or at least, very strong hints in that direction.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The 'X' factor is PETE CARROL (IMO)

I don't think for a moment he settles for an office at the rear of the Seachicken HQ to pick up a cheque.

Unlike Belichick, he seems to have the energy to step in and right the ship somewhere.

Chargers, LVR, Washington... ???

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
But... if they like Williams or Maye, they may need to trade up with the Bears, leaving the Bears to take MHJ at #3. If they like one of the other QBs, they may be willing to trade back a bit, leaving another team to jump in to #3 and take MHJ. At the very least, they could leverage the Cardinals to give up something to move up one spot for Harrison Jr.
They could trade down again from 3 if Daniels gets hot enough. That was my preseason hope for the Cards when I thought they'd have the top pick. Trade back to 2 or 3 and then trade back again to another QB hungry team. You'd be stacked with picks for a couple years. You could end up with a Hershel Walker type of haul from the two trades.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the impression they held onto Mayo when other jobs were available by promising him HC after BB. Or at least, very strong hints in that direction.
Yep. It was in his contract, and they had notified the league of their intentions. This way they bypass the Rooney Rule and can simply name him as their coach.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I know nothing about Jerod Mayo, was he ever interviewed elsewhere for a HC coaching job? I seriously don't know anything about him (as far as coaching goes)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know nothing about Jerod Mayo, was he ever interviewed elsewhere for a HC coaching job? I seriously don't know anything about him (as far as coaching goes)
He went straight from being a Pats player to coach. I think they identified him as a keeper very early on and then this year put it in his new contract.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
He went straight from being a Pats player to coach. I think they identified him as a keeper very early on and then this year put it in his new contract.
Is he really good or something? Seems so strange considering I've never seen his name come up (like , Bieniemy , Quinn, etc..) maybe I'm just not clued in lol