Beckham Hasnt Played Yet?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio he still has yet to play for the galaxy.. Thats crazy.. What a waste he has been..

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He played!!!!! for 5 minutes.........Its unfortunate, but hopefully he plays tonight on ESPN. It just sucks that he got injured playing for England. The Galaxy need him too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I even watched for a minute or so. It was on ESPNHD and I was jones'n for some HD Sports.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
LA is playing it nice, but I would be rip-roaring pissed about this injury. When they bought him, he had supposedly retired from international duty. Then suddenly he has all this money, he gets a chance to go play for England, and WHAM! Oops, sorry. You're paying me the GNP of Ethiopia, but I can't play. So sorry.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA is playing it nice, but I would be rip-roaring pissed about this injury. When they bought him, he had supposedly retired from international duty. Then suddenly he has all this money, he gets a chance to go play for England, and WHAM! Oops, sorry. You're paying me the GNP of Ethiopia, but I can't play. So sorry.
The thing is he didn't really retire from international duty, he was left off the roster by the manager. Playing for England was always a hundred times more important to Beckham than the MLS, and he never even hinted otherwise.

Stout

Reaction score
The thing is he didn't really retire from international duty, he was left off the roster by the manager. Playing for England was always a hundred times more important to Beckham than the MLS, and he never even hinted otherwise.

I went back and looked, and I made an error. I thought he had retired from international play; he actually surrendered the captaincy and was kept off the team. Granted, it looked like his international career was over.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im confused as to whats going on here..

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that Kevin Kasper?

According to sports sites, Beckham is getting on the field as much if not less than Kasper.. How much are they paying that guy to sit on the bench? A quarter of a billion dollars?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
According to sports sites, Beckham is getting on the field as much if not less than Kasper.. How much are they paying that guy to sit on the bench? A quarter of a billion dollars?

Hey, Victoria, skanky spice, has a TV show, so that must mean something.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The guy is signed for 5 years. I'm sure the Galaxy can afford to sit back and wait for a few games in a season that really doesn't mean that much. It would suck a bit if he came in for 10 minutes 4 games ago and reinjured the ankle. To say he's a waste is ludicrous. And frankly, very American.

The Galaxy are an awful team. You could see it on Beckham's face as he was sitting on the sideline. They have some dynamic players, but they cannot pass worth a damn. It's very frustrating to watch. They should be better than they are. I've never seen a "pro" team suck that much at passing the ball.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy is signed for 5 years. I'm sure the Galaxy can afford to sit back and wait for a few games in a season that really doesn't mean that much. It would suck a bit if he came in for 10 minutes 4 games ago and reinjured the ankle. To say he's a waste is ludicrous. And frankly, very American.

The Galaxy are an awful team. You could see it on Beckham's face as he was sitting on the sideline. They have some dynamic players, but they cannot pass worth a damn. It's very frustrating to watch. They should be better than they are. I've never seen a "pro" team suck that much at passing the ball.

I dont see how this can be viewed as a success.. All the hype that he got is quickly fading and he has hardly played.. Any casual American that was interested never got the chance to see what it was all about.. Now, everyone has moved on while Beckham sat on the bench and its almost football season and even less casual fans will be interested.. So yeah, Id consider that a waste..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I dont see how this can be viewed as a success.. All the hype that he got is quickly fading and he has hardly played.. Any casual American that was interested never got the chance to see what it was all about.. Now, everyone has moved on while Beckham sat on the bench and its almost football season and even less casual fans will be interested.. So yeah, Id consider that a waste..

"Casual" fans weren't going to all of a sudden become soccer fans overnight anyway. You want him to be this superman from day 1. Even if he was healthy, there is always a period of time where he's just getting used to the team. Michael Jordan didn't automatically make the Wizards the best team in the NBA when he started playing for them.

The sport already has more fans than hockey, and as much as you think it's a waste, tell that to every stadium that's being filled with people, regardless of if he plays or not. If he doesn't play, then it's almost guaranteed that the next time the Galaxy come to town, that game will also be a sell-out. Half the season is over, and the Galaxy have only 14 points. The top team in their conference has 34. The Galaxy aren't sniffing the playoffs.

Sure, of course they wanted him to play. But hey, he signed the contract before the ankle injury, and again, it's not like he's only here for a couple weeks. They'd much rather him be healthy for the next 5 years then play him in a couple meaningless games that have already sold out. I mean, Chelsea (the first game he appeared in) was just a friendly.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Casual" fans weren't going to all of a sudden become soccer fans overnight anyway. You want him to be this superman from day 1. Even if he was healthy, there is always a period of time where he's just getting used to the team. Michael Jordan didn't automatically make the Wizards the best team in the NBA when he started playing for them.

Absolutley horrible example.. Basketball already is an established sport in the US with a huge following.. It wasnt like Jordan went to England when he was at the end of his career to establish the sport.. No, he just went to an awful franchise..

And I do believe MLS wants to see results rather quickly.. Why else for the huge fanfare that no one but soccer fans know? They were trying to create a buzz.. And now that buzz is dying.. And now the NFL is back and thats all Americans of a larger percentage care about..

Stout

Reaction score
Chap, I think you're wrong on this one. Becks is at the end of his career, and I doubt he has 5 good years left in him. I think LA needs impact out of him within the first few years, and this season is wasting away.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beckham played last night for the last 15-20 minutes. The Galaxy looked better with Beckham in and down a man than they did without him and at full strength. Beckham wasn't running around like crazy, but he was spot on with most of his kicks.

Sign in the stadium:

WE SING BETTER THAN YOUR WIFE

Hey, I used spot on in a sentence.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, I think you're wrong on this one. Becks is at the end of his career, and I doubt he has 5 good years left in him. I think LA needs impact out of him within the first few years, and this season is wasting away.

Disagree. I think this exposure he's getting is making fans watching the games think he's a washed up has-been. And I certainly don't think he is. Sure, he's not as young as he used to be, but he's got 5 years left in him. In that respect, Zidane is ancient, but he was great in the Cup last year.

LA does need impact out of him, and if you watched yesterday, they got it. He was directing the team and sending some great passes. He had a free kick that was decent, and a very pretty lead pass to Donovan, probably the pass of the game. He wasn't moving too great, but that's to be expected, considering it had just rained. And they guy DOES feel bad for the fans that pay so much money to see him and he sits on the bench, so he is taking a chance going out there.

The guy is a passer, and that's where he's going to help the most. Again, if you watched the game, you'd know what I mean. The Galaxy are AWFUL at passing the ball. If the MLS wants to get respectable and be compared to something like the EPL, then they have a long way to go. Beckham is just an early step to get high-quality players in the league.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I think this exposure he's getting is making fans watching the games think he's a washed up has-been. And I certainly don't think he is. Sure, he's not as young as he used to be, but he's got 5 years left in him. In that respect, Zidane is ancient, but he was great in the Cup last year.

LA does need impact out of him, and if you watched yesterday, they got it. He was directing the team and sending some great passes. He had a free kick that was decent, and a very pretty lead pass to Donovan, probably the pass of the game. He wasn't moving too great, but that's to be expected, considering it had just rained. And they guy DOES feel bad for the fans that pay so much money to see him and he sits on the bench, so he is taking a chance going out there.

The guy is a passer, and that's where he's going to help the most. Again, if you watched the game, you'd know what I mean. The Galaxy are AWFUL at passing the ball. If the MLS wants to get respectable and be compared to something like the EPL, then they have a long way to go. Beckham is just an early step to get high-quality players in the league.

Agree. He was directing the players. He also grimaced in response to the Galaxy keeper made an error and kicked the ball back to D.C United. Looked like Galaxy should have had a couple goals as a result of Beckham. I heard a commentator say that since Beckham is not a striker-type he should be able to keep playing a long time.

D.C.'s crowd was crazy. That place looked and it was pouring down raining.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree. He was directing the players. He also grimaced in response to the Galaxy keeper made an error and kicked the ball back to D.C United. Looked like Galaxy should have had a couple goals as a result of Beckham. I heard a commentator say that since Beckham is not a striker-type he should be able to keep playing a long time.

D.C.'s crowd was crazy. That place looked and it was pouring down raining.

Did you see the Toronto game last week? The stadium and crowd there was unreal. The DC crowd was tame compared to them.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think Beckham is a lot less of a "superstar" type than people think. He seems pretty down to earth all things considered.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn