Battlefield 3

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thrilled to have it back, but I do hate jets.
Glad to see the PC getting love as it's own system and not some port.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOVE LOVE LOVED BF2 BC. The last Battlefield rocked. So, I am excited to see this.

Ghraxx

Reaction score
Battlefield is probably my favorite shooter ever. Can't wait for this game.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some bad news for Console owners. It appears the game will be somewhat "castrated". It appears the game will only allow a maximum of 24 players online and the maps will be smaller for consoles to scale down to the 24 player maximum.

Evidently, the new Frostbite Engine which will bring cool visuals and Destruction 3.0 was built to take advantage of high end PC hardware. So, Frostbite can be used on consoles but the bandwidth requirements are very heavy.

So instead of using a different graphics engine or a hybrid that would work more efficiently on consoles they are using Frostbite as is. The impact is that the current generation of consoles (PS3, Xbox 360) have to "give" something. So, that will be player maximum and map size.

Seriously, disappointed in this but we shall see what overall impact this has on the console versions. Only PC's will get the "unabridged" version of the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Did some Alpha testing on PC for this game the past few weeks. I typically play on Xbox though. Its over now and Beta will be out next month. We only got to play Rush mode on 1 map but I am even more excited for this release now. Some cool new changes. I have been burned on several of my last preorders but I can say this is not going to be one of those situations. come on 10/25/11 get here already.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Haven't played Battlefield since 42...consider my y socks officially knocked off!

Looks like it's a pretty beefy single-player option. I hope the multi-player is as smooth as I remember.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
How does the multiplayer compare to Halo/COD?

Definitely more of a Halo fan, and don't like COD, but looking for a possible Halo replacement. Is Battlefield an upgrade?

OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
How does the multiplayer compare to Halo/COD?

Definitely more of a Halo fan, and don't like COD, but looking for a possible Halo replacement. Is Battlefield an upgrade?

I am way too biased to answer that question. However, I will emphatically say, yes, it is an upgrade over any multiplayer out there. I was never a halo fan and I despise the COD series. You can probably pick up Battlefield Bad Company 2 used for about $15 at Gamestop or something. Maybe check that out if you haven't already.

OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
New trailer released today. http://youtu.be/m8S_eEv_A5k

Watch intense 64-player vehicle warfare -- including jets -- from our beautiful Battlefield 3 multiplayer map Caspian Border! This marks the premier of jet gameplay as played at GamesCom 2011. Caspian Border is a multi-faceted, vehicle heavy map that exemplifies classic Battlefield gameplay.

OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
Beta comes out tomorrow. I got it yesterday from purchasing Medal of Honor. You get Operation Metro in Rush mode. It gives you a pretty decent idea of what to expect in the game without giving up too much. It is glitchy as heck which is to be expected on a beta version but all signs still point to this being a great game.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, been playing beta. Is anybody else a tad disappointed?

For all the hype of this games "destructibility engine", it was not that impressive.

Also, the textures look bad up close.

I also don't like the weak knife.

Almost every round comes down to the team that can spray and pray better (like COD).

And my most favorite feature of all. FLASHLIGHT. Initially I thought the only annoyance would be the "Glint" if someone was camping and I know why they did that but I hate the way they implemented that. However, now we have to deal with Flashlights on guns in which the glare effect is WAY over the top even outside. When you approach one of those guys up close it blinds you so you have a hard time shooting the person that has one. I am sorry but in real life if someone is glaring a huge flashlight at me I can at least look to the side or something and still see. The way the implemented it, it's like I am looking at a Hollywood premier light flashing so bright I can see it from miles away. STUPID!!!

Holy crap I hope this beta is not an indication of the final product or I just blew some money on my pre-order. Seriously, so far I like BFBC2 better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
OK, been playing beta. Is anybody else a tad disappointed?

With some of it. I hate Rush Mode though so I am trying to keep that in mind. Hopefully they are listening to the feedback people are giving.

For all the hype of this games "destructibility engine", it was not that impressive.

This is an area where I don't think they can show much on Operation Metro. However, if you get to the last two m-com stations outside you get a good idea of the destructibility aspect. You can really put some holes in those buildings outside.

Also, the textures look bad up close.

I also don't like the weak knife.

Almost every round comes down to the team that can spray and pray better (like COD).

Haven't really thought the textures look bad. The knife animation takes too long. I don't like how it is so easy to die similar to COD.

And my most favorite feature of all. FLASHLIGHT.

I absolutely hate the flashlight. I refuse to even think of using it. There have been a lot of complaints about it. Hopefully a fix will be addressed.

Holy crap I hope this beta is not an indication of the final product or I just blew some money on my pre-order. Seriously, so far I like BFBC2 better.
I don't think we have seen enough. I don't think you will be blowing your money. It is just the Beta and it does take a little time to get used to the differences. I wish we got to utilize some vehicles which along with the destructibility is where BFBC2 excelled.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering the crap online shooters that have come out in recent years(COD:MW2/ BLK OPS,Killzone 3,Resistance 3) i'm going to try the beta tnite...and give this a shot. I was a big fan of M.A.G. but its longevity was short mainly due to poor marketing and the amount of time it took them to make the DLC available.

I'm hoping for something that isnt geared for the ADD gamer like everything else thats being put out today.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
hate battlefield, always have. Love cod/counterstrike style.

a followup to an eariler question... Is there a majir difference between this and COD..

I personally am a big fan of COD, although there are times whent he maps are too small and it is just a free for all...

I keep hearing BF3 is just a lot more realistic... any other differences? what about with the multiplayer game? Thanks a million

OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
Lots of differences in my opinion on behalf of the multiplayer. I don't really care about the campaigns. Certainly more realistic than COD. The destructible environments and vehicles are the biggest differences. Battlefield has far superior graphics and sound. The maps are much bigger but there are some smaller ones also ( i am giving this opinion based on BFBC2 since Battlefield 3 is not out yet). Less hacking and cheating than COD...at least on the xbox version. There is more of a team effort involved in the game play. You still have those that run around and just spray and pray but there is much more teamwork needed to succeed in this game.

However, I have found that most that love COD just cannot get used to the pace of Battlefield and complain that it is boring. I am happy those people stick with COD.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have BFBC2 on the pc and PS3. I also played MW2 on the PC. I enjoyed both games, but the ability to destroy the environment and knock a building down when you have a camper in it are just awesome features imo. I think it depends a lot on who you play with, as with most any other game, but when you do have a good squad, with teammates that back each other up, the fun factor goes up a whole lot for me.
Sadly, I am not in the Beta, so I can't comment on it, but I have heard from a couple of people that were not impressed with it. That may have just been incredibly high expectations.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a followup to an eariler question... Is there a majir difference between this and COD..

I personally am a big fan of COD, although there are times whent he maps are too small and it is just a free for all...

I keep hearing BF3 is just a lot more realistic... any other differences? what about with the multiplayer game? Thanks a million

COD is fast, action packed. tight maps w lots of action.

Battlefield is massive maps with centralized fighting, when you spawn you usually run for at least a minute to find the action and then get shot by a guy in a bush. It is camper heaven.

Depends on your preference. Personally, I am a COD guy and do not like battlefield whatsoever. Kinda like COD3 but the maps are even bigger

OP
OP
kps0001

kps0001

Reaction score
I think you COD players should get your own thread to post in. :p

Isn't there a new Call of Dookie game coming out? Why is nobody talking about it. HA

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is, bet its awesome, i gave up shooters after MW2, too time consuming. I play virtually nothing but xbox arcade games now. I heard a new counterstrike is coming out too, would be super stoked if I still had time to play it.

Ps all the COd players are too busy playing COD to post = P

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated the Battlefield series until Battlefield Bad Company 2 which was hands down the best multiplayer yet IMO. Up to that point I was strictly a COD person.

I abandoned COD because it seemed like with each release map sizes shrank or the design made every close quarters which causes round after round of spray and pray battle. I like some tactics to be involved and love the vehicles.

COD just doesn't do it for me anymore. I will try the new COD when it comes out but this one is on pre-order. I don't have much confidence if the last COD game is any indication.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard