Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:thumbup:

Premiere's in today's Rolling Stone magazine.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...

Ebert and Roper both said this was the best Batman movie ever made, and one of the best films of the year...

Great news!

Mike

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They just had a fifteen minute "First Look" on HBO.
I have to tell you I got chills a couple of times while watching this extended preview.
I can't wait for this movie.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Batman is so overdone. So yesteryear.
So is Pesci.

...the only difference is the Pesci can't buy himself into a hollywood movie and Batman has 4 different comic book titles, novels, television shows and movie deals. Pesci has zip.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:
So is Pesci.

...the only difference is the Pesci can't buy himself into a hollywood movie and Batman has 4 different comic book titles, novels, television shows and movie deals. Pesci has zip.

how dare you!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

You do realise he has his plate full running the universe dont you?!?!?!?!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Batman is so overdone. So yesteryear.

*cough* Andrew Golota *cough*

Just busting your huevos, I actually agree with you on this one. Just was going to refrain from saying anything because most people have already admitted their geekness on other threads. Self-loathing doesn't require kicking from me. :D

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HA!

Golota just inked a deal to fight his arch rival Saleta on the rahman/mccline undercard for the 13th of august. If he wins he gets to beat Ruiz again and get robbed of the belt again.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :) :notworthy

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
HA!

Golota just inked a deal to fight his arch rival Saleta on the rahman/mccline undercard for the 13th of august. If he wins he gets to beat Ruiz again and get robbed of the belt again.

:hijack: :offtopic:

:D

Mike

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
HA!

I was referring to the fact that he is a has-been / never-was and the people he now fights are has-beens / never-were. i.e Saleta and Ruiz.

:thumbup:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I don't have any desire to really see this. I don't think it's going to do that good. Bad actor to pick to play Batman.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I don't have any desire to really see this. I don't think it's going to do that good. Bad actor to pick to play Batman.

Dude, put your Shaft DVD away. Check out Equilibrium, Machinist, American Psycho, etc. Bale can act.

Bale is great for the role. He's the first person to play Batman since Adam West who's even 6' 2" (same height as described in the comics).

Here's a quote from him on the movie/role: "For me, there's a bigger risk trying Batman. Ultimately, the big point was that Chris Nolan [Memento], who you would not expect to be doing that kind of movie, was going to direct it, which is exactly what I was looking for, because you want to do something totally different from the other Batman movies. I always thought there could be a really good movie made about Batman and when I heard that Chris was doing it I thought, `Well, he's not a director that you would expect, therefore you're going to get the unexpected from him.' I think there's a great potential for going very dark with it, it's a fascinating character, very complex psychologically, which I've never seen done. You know, you have the two extremes, which are both very good. You can either go the very camp Adam West TV series thing, which was great in its own way, or you can go more the way of the graphic Dark Knight novels which delve somewhat deeper."

:jedi:

BIM

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to rent the Machinist soon...

Bale is great, not sure how anyone can say otherwise...

Mike

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Bale is a very good actor. His role in American Psycho was classic. Heck, I even liked him in Reign of Fire.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I didn't realize (until about a minute ago) that he played the role of Jim (little kid) in the movie "Empire Of The Sun".

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Wow...

Ebert and Roper both said this was the best Batman movie ever made, and one of the best films of the year...

Great news!

Mike

I saw that to. Nice to hear, I was very skeptical at the first previews that came out. Then the more I see and here I can't wait. They said they liked the first alot, and this one was better. I doubt that, but it couldn't be any worse the previous sequals.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it last night (midnight showing on an IMAX screen).

~Overall: I really liked it but didn't love it. It wasn't without it's problems, but they were all pretty minor, IMO.

~Acting: Bale was really good, as was Liam Neisson, Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy and the guy who played Falconi (the Gotham mob boss). Bale played a convincing Batman as well as fronting a good playboy millionaire and also the slightly cracked "real" Bruce Wayne. Gary Oldman was hit and miss, I thought. Sometimes he overacted. Katie Holmes was pretty terrible. I don't know if it was just her character or if this is the way she actually speaks, but 80% of what she said was delivered out of the side of her mouth. Very bothersome.

~Script/Directing: They did a great job of explaining not only how Wayne becomes Batman, but why. You don't see him in the suit until an hour or so into the film (which probably would have driven me crazy as a kid). Some of the one-liners (I'd hoped the forced quips would have dissappeared when Schumacker left) were out of character and out of place in this film.

******POSSIBLE SPOILERS********(not plot spoilers, but I am going to go into some detail of a couple of minor points of the movie that bugged me...I don't think it'll take away from your experience knowing these things, but if you think it might, you should stop reading now).

~They have a scene in which Batman sets off a device which seems to actually call all of the Bats in Gotham via a high-frequency signal. That was really stupid, IMO. It was one of the few (only?) moments in the movie when the comic-book geek in me cringed.

~They have a scene at the end that sets up the next villain. Okay, that's not so bad; I can live with that. But my problem ith it is that it's a REALLY lazy scene. They basically tell you through dialogue who it's going to be instead of dropping a more subtle hint. Anyway, while I hope that Nolan is doing the next one, I also hate it when directors have their own sequel (that isn't yet inked or signed off on) influence the current film.

NSD_Blonde

Who's Your Daddy, Now?
Reaction score
I saw it today, and really enjoyed it! I thought Bale was a great Batman, especially when he was doing his push-ups (deep sigh)...ah, but I digress! IMO this was the best Batman movie yet, and I hope they do make a sequel!

Pariah, impressive review--much better than that guy in the AZ Republic...sorry, I know his name, but it eludes me right now! I agree that Oldman and Holmes were the weakest links--not to say they were bad... I don't think they could have picked a better Alford, IMHO!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have two nitpicks: 1) Bale voice as Batman seemed WAYYYYY over the top. His appearcne alone is intimidating, Bale didn't need to be shaking every time he spoke. 2) I was underwhelmed by the score.

Besides that - a REALLY good re-boot of the franchise. Not as good as Batman or Returns - but pretty damn close, while being wildly different stylistically.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard