Batman Begins

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batman 5, also known as Batman: Intimidation, or Batman: Intimidation Game.

Hopefully this film will be more like 1 and 2 than 3 and 4.

Christian Bale (American Psycho) is Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Michael Caine is Alfred (signed for the next 3 Batman films).

Katie Holmes is on board, likely as a love interest.

Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later) is on board as a yet to be disclosed villain. (Speculation is the Scarecrow, or the Reaper).

The filming begins February 2004.

Christopher Nolan (Memento) is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with David Goyer (Dark City, Blade Trilogy).

Any thoughts? Is this franchise dead, or can it be revived?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as Joel Schumacher and his Bat-Nipples, Bat-Ass, and Bat-Codpiece are gone I am happy. Please remove all homo-eroticism from my super hero movie. It doesn't really belong.

As long as their are no more diaper wearing neon villians I am happy.

As long as they stop screwing up the villians (Bane, Penguin, and Two Face) I will be happy.

As long as the movies are NOTHING like the last one...I will watch.

Hopefully they learned from their mistakes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I actually liked what Burton did with Penguin. He was much more vile and disgusting--which made him more inventive.

Two-Face, though, was one of the worst written and acted roles in any Batman movie.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Penguin is an intelligent aristocrat not a sewer sucking crazy guy. I just think that ever since the Joker, the people in Hollywood decided that all Batman villians must be outrageously over the top.

Bane is still my least favorite. This is a guy who masterminded a plot that ended with Bruce Wayne having his back broken and no longer being Batman. He was able to manipulate all of Batman's greatest foes to attack him in rapid succession...culminating in Bane nearly removing Batman forever.

In the movies he is a mindless pawn of Poison Ivy...ugh

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Two-Face, though, was one of the worst written and acted roles in any Batman movie.

I disagree, I think Mr. Freeze was worse. His one liners put all comic book villians to shame.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Michael Caine signed on to be the voice of Alfred in the cartoon? If he's signed on for the live action film, that's great--especially if it's for the next three films.

Christian Bale should be a pretty good batman. He's got a pretty good range. However, I'd love to see a guy like Brice Willis play an older Batman in a Frank Miller-esque "Dark Knight Returns."

Anyway, I think WB learned their lesson's with the gay-ifying of batman and robin. With a working title like "Intimidation" and the response the dark and gritty "Dead End" got, I wouldn't be surprised if this film wasn't R rated and fairly violent.

Dead End was a short film done by a special effects guy to show off his directing skills. It's being called the best batman flick to date by fanboys. It captures Batman as he's supposed to be--dark, brooding, violent and driven. Since it's done without WB's blessing, it can't be sold, but you used to be able to find it on the Internet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah

Dead End was a short film done by a special effects guy to show off his directing skills. It's being called the best batman flick to date by fanboys. It captures Batman as he's supposed to be--dark, brooding, violent and driven. Since it's done without WB's blessing, it can't be sold, but you used to be able to find it on the Internet.

That's not the one where he fights all the Predators, is it? Because if it is, it certainly wasn't very good.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not the one where he fights all the Predators, is it? Because if it is, it certainly wasn't very good.

Yeah, he fights Joker, then a bunch of other guys including Predator. It's not exacty plot-driven, but I do think it captures "Batman."

I liked it, but I'm not one of the fanboys that thinks it's the best.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But wasn't the majority of the thing with Batman fighting in the dark with a spotlight on him? I'm sorry, I don't recall exactly.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But wasn't the majority of the thing with Batman fighting in the dark with a spotlight on him? I'm sorry, I don't recall exactly.

I don't remember exactly, either, but I thought the lighting was better thant that. It WAS dark, but I don't remember a spotlight. Could have been, though.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batman 5: Intimidation

Here's some "scoops" from superherohype.com:

Exclusive Batman: Intimidation Scoop!! Source: Enigma Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Batman fans, are you ready? We hope you are, because Christopher Nolan's new Batman film is sounding better and better every day.

A Superhero Hype! source - who shall be called 'Enigma' - has confirmed that filming will indeed take place in Iceland. As you may have read here, the Warner Bros. production will shoot there for two weeks. What was not revealed was what will be filmed. We've got the exclusive scoop for you, but it's definitely spoiler material, so cover your eyes now if you'd rather not know...

Still here? Of course you are. In the scene, Batman, played by Christian Bale, will be fighting on ice with Ra's Al Ghul's #1 pupil (who that is, you'll have to figure out). They won't be fighting for real, however, as it is more of a training exercise.

We're also told by our source that Batman: Intimidation is a cross between Year One and Year Two and that it's interwoven very creatively. So start thinking about which characters appeared in each and you might get an idea. The film is also said to be very story-driven.

Of course you want to hear about the costume. Let's just say that the costume concept the production is using is awesome! Just wait and see...

More Batman Casting Updates? Source: Latino Review Monday, December 29, 2003

Latino Review received the following unconfirmed scoop about the casting for Warner Bros.' new Batman film...

There's two villains. There's one love interest. There's a young Comm. Gordon. There's a young Harvey Dent.

The cast are Christian Bale [Batman], Michael Caine [Alfred], Judson Caspian [Viggo Mortensen], Cillian Murphy [Harvey Dent], Katie Holmes [Rachel Caspian], Chris Cooper [Gordon], Elle Fanning [Barbara], Noah Emmerich, as of 11/29/03

They apparently are still finalising the two main villain roles, but everyone from Robert De Niro to Dennis Quaid has tried out, and they should have their man-times two, in a week or two.

Hit the link above for more and thanks to 'batfan' for the heads up.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ken Watanabe is Ra's Al Ghul in Batman
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Ken Watanabe, who is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Last Samurai, will be squaring off against Christian Bale in the upcoming new Batman movie, directed by Christopher Nolan. The Warner Bros. project is scheduled to start production next month in London.

Watanabe will play the villainous Ra's Al Ghul, an immortal strategic mastermind who wants to bring his own brand of order to the world.

He joins Bale, cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as Wayne's trusted butler Alfred; Katie Holmes as a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor Henri Ducard; and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises.

Watanabe made his English-language debut with Warner Bros.' "Samurai," though he has been acting since the early 1980s in Japan, where he is a household name, known for playing heroic samurai roles.

Last edited:

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I thought Michael Caine signed on to be the voice of Alfred in the cartoon? If he's signed on for the live action film, that's great--especially if it's for the next three films.

Christian Bale should be a pretty good batman. He's got a pretty good range. However, I'd love to see a guy like Brice Willis play an older Batman in a Frank Miller-esque "Dark Knight Returns."

Anyway, I think WB learned their lesson's with the gay-ifying of batman and robin. With a working title like "Intimidation" and the response the dark and gritty "Dead End" got, I wouldn't be surprised if this film wasn't R rated and fairly violent.

You still can find it on the internet because I just did so. I never heard about this. It was a little over the top - in a good way. I think tossing in the Alien and Predators was a little much. It was dark but that lighting fit what i thought Batman should be about.

BTW - Joel Scummacher destroyed the Batman franchise. I hope it works out under this new regime.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Title of Nolan's Batman Movie Revealed
Source: Cinescape Thursday, February 26, 2004

Cinescape has learned that the official title for Christopher Nolan's Batman adaptation is Batman Begins...

It's not BATMAN: INTIMIDATION GAME, which we've now learned was the project's pre-production code name during its early development cycle. Now that Nolan's film is moving into the active phase of its production, this title will be what Warner Bros. will be refering to the film during the duration of its shoot (which begins next month) and as it moves ever forward towards its release in the summer of 2005. Let the rumors be finally put to rest: The official title of the movie is BATMAN BEGINS.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
from what i hear this version of batman will be a more 'real world' batman. gotham will be a normal city that one would find in the real world. the villians will be more realistic and not so over the top.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batman Begins Starts Production, Oldman is Gordon
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
Thursday, March 4, 2004

Batman Begins, director Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated film, has commenced production in Iceland, with Gary Oldman joining the all-star cast. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In Batman Begins, Oldman will play Lieutenant James Gordon, a detective on the Gotham police force. The film stars Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as his trusted butler Alfred; Katie Holmes as Rachel, a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor, Henri Ducard; Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises; and Ken Watanabe as the villainous Ra's Al Ghul.

Directed by Christopher Nolan from a screenplay by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, Batman Begins is produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Larry Franco. The executive producers are Ben Melniker and Michael Uslan. The film is based on characters created by Bob Kane and published by DC Comics.

Batman Begins is scheduled to film in Iceland, London and Chicago.

The film, which explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham, will be released worldwide in Summer 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His cape is going to give him the ability to glide through Gotham. It's going to stiffen when an electric current is sent through it, but will also remain very fluid when it's off. It's been leaked that Nolan wants to film Batman in a number of the Modern comics' iconic poses (flowing cape enveloping him, etc...)

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

I downloaded "Dead End", and I must admit I rather enjoyed it. True, the Predator vs. Aliens thing was not exactly something found in the normal lexicon of Batman badguys, but the film did a brilliant job of capturing the "feel" of the Batman graphic novels...right down to the final pose to end the short.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I downloaded "Dead End", and I must admit I rather enjoyed it. True, the Predator vs. Aliens thing was not exactly something found in the normal lexicon of Batman badguys, but the film did a brilliant job of capturing the "feel" of the Batman graphic novels...right down to the final pose to end the short.

Batman did fight Predator(s) in some DC/Dark Horse comic crossovers, which is likely why that kind of stuff was included in "Dead End."

You must be registered for see images

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Batman did fight Predator(s) in some DC/Dark Horse comic crossovers, which is likely why that kind of stuff was included in "Dead End."

You must be registered for see images

Nice!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an update/review/rumor about the script from SuperHeroHype.com:

"'Stax' at IGN FilmForce alerted us that he has up a positive review of David Goyer's screenplay for Batman Begins. Here's a brief clip from the article...

In short, Batman Begins is ... a Western! The story features a gruff loner with a thirst for revenge who comes to town to rid it of the outlaws and corrupt officials bedeviling it. This man of violence can only trust a few townsfolk for help (I guess that makes Jim Gordon the quintessential one good deputy) and he must rely on his incomparable physical skills to get the job done. If that isn't a traditional Western plot then I don't know what is. As a huge fan of that genre, I appreciated those parallels."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard