Based on their Age + Salary, Who should we look at to replace next season and how (cut/trade/other)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Jones, Hopkins, Humphries? Or are we financially cap wise okay and should just leave well enough alone as long as we continue to win like we are? Who might be the easiest to replace via the draft if we have to let them go? And who are we going to have to part with due to other salary bumps to players we need to keep?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
as we stand today. Cut Philips, Kennard, Pugh and Hicks. Saves $30M in salary cap.
I was looking at the same thing. Question though, can you get a solid starter at G for less then the $12 million Pugh gets next year? I don't think we have a replacement on the roster and the cheaper guys like a Winters or Garcia, seem like they're a downgrade from Pugh

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the same thing. Question though, can you get a solid starter at G for less then the $12 million Pugh gets next year? I don't think we have a replacement on the roster and the cheaper guys like a Winters or Garcia, seem like they're a downgrade from Pugh

Pay cut / Restructuring / Extension also on the table

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't we just sign Nuk and DJ to extensions? I was so down to extend Chandler for ~3 yrs after his 5-sack performance in game 1, but that excitement has waned in the last few games...

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
as we stand today. Cut Philips, Kennard, Pugh and Hicks. Saves $30M in salary cap.
Hicks is 1 tackle away from leading the team without getting 100% of snaps. He's a pro.
In regards to Pugh, not sure I would change much of anything on thr oline the ways they are playing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why does everyone always want to cut Pugh?

He's an above average guard for below average money. He's a solid pro and well liked. And nobody is messing with this O line now it's doing it's job.

Philips and Kennard for sure. Hicks would be a trade candidate if Zaven is where they want him to be.

Kelvin Beachum may well be gone and Jones/Murray are better or no worse at least.

Andy Isabella looks done.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was simply wondering that since our supporting cast of WRs next to Hopkins seems so strong, is there any other WR1s who are younger and could be had for half the price of what he will continue to cost us after this season. Could he fetch a high enough draft pick for us to get a stud WR at the cost of a R1 rookie. Or is his greatness what makes all the others seem so good?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was simply wondering that since our supporting cast of WRs next to Hopkins seems so strong, is there any other WR1s who are younger and could be had for half the price of what he will continue to cost us after this season. Could he fetch a high enough draft pick for us to get a stud WR at the cost of a R1 rookie. Or is his greatness what makes all the others seem so good?
Trading hop would be a disaster. He is by far our best wr. They rest would definitely suffer without his presence.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I love this thread... i think we are going SB this year, so this thread is even MORE relevant,,,,,

and i don't even pretend to be qualified to reply.. but.. i do want Kyler
and Dennis Gardeck back.... and we will see why for Gardeck before this season is over.....

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Didn't we just sign Nuk and DJ to extensions? I was so down to extend Chandler for ~3 yrs after his 5-sack performance in game 1, but that excitement has waned in the last few games...
Hopkins is signed through 2024, however Humphries is only good through 2022 and the team has an out option on Humphries contract after this season with only a $4.33 million cap hit for 2022. Pugh's contract is also up after 2022. Jones is good through 2023 however if he works out as a quality player then the team probably needs to extend him in 2022. Hudson is also good through 2023 but will be 35 going into 2024. J. Murray and Beachum are also up after 2022 so it seems the team is going to have to make a lot of decisions on the entire Oline in 2022/2023 as all of their contracts are either expiring after 2022 or will be going into there last yer in 2023.

On top of this is the fact that K. Murray is in the last year of his contract in 2022 and you now have a situation where you are going to either be needing a ton of money to either extend contracts or sign FAs to fill a lot of holes in the Oline and resign your QB after next season. Humphries, Pugh, Beachum and J. Murray are all due after 2022.

Your RB group is also empty after this season.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hopkins is signed through 2024, however Humphries is only good through 2022 and the team has an out option on Humphries contract after this season with only a $4.33 million cap hit for 2022. Pugh's contract is also up after 2022. Jones is good through 2023 however if he works out as a quality player then the team probably needs to extend him in 2022. Hudson is also good through 2023 but will be 35 going into 2024. J. Murray and Beachum are also up after 2022 so it seems the team is going to have to make a lot of decisions on the entire Oline in 2022/2023 as all of their contracts are either expiring after 2022 or will be going into there last yer in 2023.

On top of this is the fact that K. Murray is in the last year of his contract in 2022 and you now have a situation where you are going to either be needing a ton of money to either extend contracts or sign FAs to fill a lot of holes in the Oline and resign your QB after next season. Humphries, Pugh, Beachum and J. Murray are all due after 2022.

Your RB group is also empty after this season.
Brings me to wonder how wide of a window does any team have when they are approaching or have reached their peak. Most of the great teams we look back on seem to have had a 3 year period of making and/or winning the super bowl. Then, for whatever reason, it seems to dissolve with players dispersing and/or coaching changes.

If that statement has some relevance, then we have till or through '23 or '24 to enjoy the ride. I suppose we would all take that if indeed we can reach the top of the mountain.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brings me to wonder how wide of a window does any team have when they are approaching or have reached their peak. Most of the great teams we look back on seem to have had a 3 year period of making and/or winning the super bowl. Then, for whatever reason, it seems to dissolve with players dispersing and/or coaching changes.

If that statement has some relevance, then we have till or through '23 or '24 to enjoy the ride. I suppose we would all take that if indeed we can reach the top of the mountain.
A true franchise QB extends your window

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
A true franchise QB extends your window

IF you are referring to the few super QBs like Mannings, Bradys, Montanas, Elways, and Bradshaws, you are correct. But I see them as the Best of the best. Most other really good super bowl QBs have a much shorter window based on keeping the level of their supporting cast together before imploding. But that is just my thinking on it.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Yeah.... but tally up how many super bowl rings that wider window produced.

Even a franchise QB needs talent around him to produce championships

This also happened during Brady’s dominant stretch which I think changes the context a bit.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hicks is 1 tackle away from leading the team without getting 100% of snaps. He's a pro.
In regards to Pugh, not sure I would change much of anything on thr oline the ways they are playing.
Unfortunately most those tackles are 5+ yards into the defense leading to the worst run defense in the NFL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn