Ball State Says "No" to bowl matchup with Boise State.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Ball State has backed out of a game featuring two 12-0 teams at the Humanitarial Bowl in Boise. A game like this would at least generate some interest on the national level.

Boise State travelled to the Fort Worth Bowl in 2003 to take on TCU in their own bowl, and went to the Liberty Bowl in memphis to take on Louisville (Short drive for the Cards) I think if Ball State wanted some respect, they would take on the challenge.

Barring some miraculous move by the BCS, it looks like our bowl opportuny is now in San Deigo Vs. TCU. I like the matchup better than the Ball State one personally since TCU's only losses were to Utah and Oklahoma.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a surprise. There are probably good reasons for this we won't know for a while.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you want to play an away game??

Don't blame him.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Would you want to play an away game??

Don't blame him.

I think for the exposure and proving your team is good, you do. How many peple have seen Ball State play this year? I bet a few that haven't woud tune in to see two undefeated teams play.

That's why I mentioned those games Boise went and played. I think as your program grows, you have to take some games like this to prove you belong. Boise State is one of the best non BCS teams hands down, and playing them would show if Ball State was one as well.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for the exposure and proving your team is good, you do. How many peple have seen Ball State play this year? I bet a few that haven't woud tune in to see two undefeated teams play.

That's why I mentioned those games Boise went and played. I think as your program grows, you have to take some games like this to prove you belong. Boise State is one of the best non BCS teams hands down, and playing them would show if Ball State was one as well.

so how about a game in Muncie, then?

I'd rather see Utah, TCU, BYU, Boise, and Ball State play and beat BCS Conference teams...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate college football.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
What a bunch of weenies. Teams have home, or virtually home, bowl games all the time. Should Rutgers have passed on the Insight Bowl a few years ago because they were playing ASU? That's just one example.

Note to Ball State: These bowl games won't survive without attendance. No one is going to watch Memphis play Ball State in the Humanitarian Bowl. Hello!

That's just the economic reality. Taking their "ball" and going home just hurts Ball State. No one else in America is going to care.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I don't blame them one bit - not so much for the road game aspect, but because as much as I dig boise state this is a no win game for ball state

if they win it isn't that big because people are skeptical of boise this year

if they lose then they've been exposed as frauds

better to find a lesser team with a bigger name on a neutral site

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Playing Boise on the Smurf grass is a huge disadvantage.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I don't blame them one bit - not so much for the road game aspect, but because as much as I dig boise state this is a no win game for ball state

if they win it isn't that big because people are skeptical of boise this year

if they lose then they've been exposed as frauds

better to find a lesser team with a bigger name on a neutral site

Have to strongly disagree. Being the only team to beat Boise State, and on their home field, would be a big deal. Especially when you consider that Boise has won a BCS game in the past.

Ball State would have a lot to gain from winning the Humanitarian Bowl, IMO. Winning the Independence Bowl or whatever against some 7-5 team isn't going to help their program like playing Boise State would.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we just get the real reason out in the open? Please?

My opinion only. Ball State would love the money but they know right now they will lose their coach before any bowl game is played.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to strongly disagree. Being the only team to beat Boise State, and on their home field, would be a big deal. Especially when you consider that Boise has won a BCS game in the past.

Ball State would have a lot to gain from winning the Humanitarian Bowl, IMO. Winning the Independence Bowl or whatever against some 7-5 team isn't going to help their program like playing Boise State would.

i agree. this is INCREDIBLY lame and borderline cowardice.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
so how about a game in Muncie, then?

I'd rather see Utah, TCU, BYU, Boise, and Ball State play and beat BCS Conference teams...

I would rather see Boise State play a BCS team as well, but the system won't allow it. We are going to have a team ranked behing us get in.

I think it's interesting how there are 3 undefeated Non BCS teams this year. If anything, maybe it adds to the playoff argument.

Even after we beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta bowl, we were only ranked #5 in the final poll.

We need a playoff....

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a playoff....

You are spot on. I dont understand why this concept is so fuggin' hard to understand.

Make the 5 BCS bowls + 2 others the playoffs, rotating the later games among the current BCS games. It isnt that hard to understand. I hate the money argumement. I am willing to bet the ratings would be much higher under this system.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We need a playoff....

If there was a playoff Boise wouldn't be in it. Neither would Ball State.

The only model that could possibly work would be 8 teams with MAYBE one at large.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was a playoff Boise wouldn't be in it. Neither would Ball State.

The only model that could possibly work would be 8 teams with MAYBE one at large.

16 team playoff. All FBS conferences get auto-bid. 5 at-large.

Works perfectly.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
16 team playoff. All FBS conferences get auto-bid. 5 at-large.

Works perfectly.

An 8 game playoff means 7 games total and 3 weeks added to the end of the season. These could all be played at neutral sites. All 7 games would significant and at the current BCS level.

16 teams means a total 15 games and 4 weeks. Neutral sites is out of the question because there is no way your average college fan can travel to 4 remote games in four consecutive weeks.

These are college students. They still have to take their scuba diving finals.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That's too bad.

Ball State v Boise State

We could have called it the BS Bowl.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
An 8 game playoff means 7 games total and 3 weeks added to the end of the season. These could all be played at neutral sites. All 7 games would significant and at the current BCS level.

16 teams means a total 15 games and 4 weeks. Neutral sites is out of the question because there is no way your average college fan can travel to 4 remote games in four consecutive weeks.

Yeah, there's no way a 16 team playoff is gonna happen. If we ever get one, I'd bet that it is a 4 team playoff.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way a 16 team playoff is gonna happen. If we ever get one, I'd bet that it is a 4 team playoff.

That's probably more likely but Obama did say 8. He's got a lot of influence these days.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I dont blame them for a couple of reasons:

1. It is a crappy bowl game. Bowl games are meant to reward teams for a good season and let the seniors go out on a bang. Spending Dec 30th in Boise in 20 degree weather just sux.

2. What is there to prove really? While I think Boise ST teams of the past have been good and underrated, this is not one of them. Playing them on their home turf, in the cold, with zero fans is not a "Bowl game" atmosphere. If Ball St wins, so what. Boise St is already labeled as overrated.? If Boise st wins, big deal, they beat a MAC team. Bad for everyone involved

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yet, somehow at every other level of College Football manages with at least a 16 team playoff.

Your argument holds no water.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And yet, somehow at every other level of College Football manages with at least a 16 team playoff.

Your argument holds no water.

They don't have billion dollar tv contracts and the higher seed gets a home game. They also don't have to supplant an entrenched bowl system.

With 8 teams you could basically play them at the current BCS bowl sites. With 16 teams you would have to let the higher seeds host the first round.

My idea is to construct 8 super conferences and let the winners of each conference play in the 8 team playoff. Leave it up to each conference to decide how their champ is chosen. To me one of the biggest jokes is when a team that didn't even win their conference championship gets to play in the national championship game. All that garbage about losing early or losing late blah blah blah would be out the window. Win your conference and you get to play for the title. And so what if 2 or 3 of the best teams are all in one conference. Win your conference or play in a consolation bowl.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I dont blame them for a couple of reasons:

1. It is a crappy bowl game. Bowl games are meant to reward teams for a good season and let the seniors go out on a bang. Spending Dec 30th in Boise in 20 degree weather just sux.

2. What is there to prove really? While I think Boise ST teams of the past have been good and underrated, this is not one of them. Playing them on their home turf, in the cold, with zero fans is not a "Bowl game" atmosphere. If Ball St wins, so what. Boise St is already labeled as overrated.? If Boise st wins, big deal, they beat a MAC team. Bad for everyone involved

basically my thought, but I don't think ball st. was exactly planning on losing to buffalo

if they locked in and still lost the MAC championship, what would that do for boise?!

this was a no win situation for both from the beginning