Baker Mayfield to Panthers

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Darnold started 2021 3-1 with a 95.4 passer rating and 8.14 YPA.
Nice little 4 game stretch...now let's see him post an above average passer rating for a season, something Baker has done in two seasons.

Not a Baker fan, but it's not a stretch to say he's better than Darnold at this point.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alex Smith ended up a good QB. Pro Football Reference compares his career favorably to Troy Aikman and Matthew Stafford. His career winning percentage is 59.3. He even had a winning record with San Francisco.
I know it was a poor attempt at humor by me.

It also took Smith 6 years to develop.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Alex Smith ended up a good QB. Pro Football Reference compares his career favorably to Troy Aikman and Matthew Stafford. His career winning percentage is 59.3. He even had a winning record with San Francisco.
Vince Young's winning percentage was a 58.6 :)

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Baker is a starter tier QB and that with a real NFL QB Matt Rhule will prove that he belongs in the NFL.

Baker should have gotten the season ending shoulder surgery early last year. You could tell it was effecting his play to a large degree. Hopefully sticking it out didn't cause permanent damage.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the NFL is hard--

a few years ago, Carolina got what looked like a dream owner in David Tepper -- deep pockets and a drive to win a SuperBowl

he had a GM in Marty Hurney, who had worked for Dave Gettlemen in assembling the Cam Newton era teams that won an NFC Championship.

Tepper hired Matt Rhule, who was billed as everything Kliff wasnt if you were going to hire a college coach: a program builder, an innovative mind and time on an NFL coaching staff

So Far? Not good, with the Panthers not winning and playing a boring style of football (bottom 1/3 in offense for Rhule's tenure). They remain in this weird no mans land on QB. Hurney the GM was fired one year in. Rhule is on the hot seat.

oh, by the way: Dave Gettleman went to the NY Giants and left a trail of wreckage there before finally being let go.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't know but maybe the Rhule and Baker connection may be what each of them need to find sustained success. It will certainly be an interesting story to watch this coming season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Baker is a starter tier QB and that with a real NFL QB Matt Rhule will prove that he belongs in the NFL.

Baker should have gotten the season ending shoulder surgery early last year. You could tell it was effecting his play to a large degree. Hopefully sticking it out didn't cause permanent damage.
I view Baker as a similar player to Case Keanum.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe so. Give him a good OL and skill positions and he can manage a game. If anything is wrong with either group, he struggles....sounds kind of like a QB in Tempe right now though...
The difference is that Kyler has some physical/athletic skills that are special and Baker does not. That is where the floor and ceiling convos come in. Baker came into the NFL with very little room to get better because of his athletic limitations. He was never getting taller, faster or a significantly stronger arm.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There s a direct correlation between a receivers YAC ranking and a QB's rating. Teams that had receivers that ranked high in yards after the catch also had QBs that ranked high.
It would be fair to say that WRs are an important contributor to QB ratings.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There s a direct correlation between a receivers YAC ranking and a QB's rating. Teams that had receivers that ranked high in yards after the catch also had QBs that ranked high.
It would be fair to say that WRs are an important contributor to QB ratings.

I think it's more that yardage is a contributor to all of the metrics, and if you add everyone's yards together good offenses will have good yardage.

Breakaway YAC is pretty rare in the NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe so. Give him a good OL and skill positions and he can manage a game. If anything is wrong with either group, he struggles....sounds kind of like a QB in Tempe right now though...

The difference is that Kyler has some physical/athletic skills that are special and Baker does not. That is where the floor and ceiling convos come in. Baker came into the NFL with very little room to get better because of his athletic limitations. He was never getting taller, faster or a significantly stronger arm.
Also, a biggest difference is Kyler, & a lot of other younger QBs, have had nowhere near the supporting cast Baker had the past 3 years. Both offense & defense.

I pray we have that type of supporting cast in the near future.