Ayton or Doncic

• Ayton

• Doncic

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My primary concern about Ayton entering the game was getting into foul trouble. This proved to be the case. It took away from a lot of his aggressiveness.

And Jokic is huge and a very fine center. It's no surprise to me that Ayton had trouble with him in his second start. Ayton will develop into an excellent center but will take time for his body to fully mature.

Also I think there was a bit of a shock factor playing in Denver where they got rolling early in the high altitude. It's a bit intimating for any team. It didn't help Jokic couldn't miss with his shots.
And Ayton actually forced him into a tough shot on a few of his post plays, but he made them anyway. It was just one of those nights for the opposition where even the slightest let down by someone defensively was taken advantage of and there were plenty of mental errors last night.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
like i implied. Jokic is a big boy. make him work on defense and he would have been less sharp on offense

it's likely Ayton was intimidated. the old man, Chandler, got plenty of opportunities -- too many (on purpose, perhaps) but we were going to him like he was our #1 option

things to fix

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i don't know either. but 2nd NBA game, hostile crowd, it wouldn't be unusual, and would be preferred than it be that something is wrong with his motor.

i'm anxious to see some of the quick, enthusiastic monster jams i saw in his college highlights

more importantly, i'm anxious to see him leaping for rebounds, fighting for position and backing down opponents
ala, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Duncan, Barkley and other aggressive big men

key word -- aggressive
antonym -- Bender. Chandler version 36 (years old)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Ayton actually forced him into a tough shot on a few of his post plays, but he made them anyway. It was just one of those nights for the opposition where even the slightest let down by someone defensively was taken advantage of and there were plenty of mental errors last night.

It turned into one of those nights early in the game. I'm not worried about Ayton one bit. He already has the skills to be a good player and he is only 20. Ayton will only get better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I am going to personally avoid all Ayton vs Doncic threads from now on. It is a conversation that will never end until they are long retired.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think I am going to personally avoid all Ayton vs Doncic threads from now on. It is a conversation that will never end until they are long retired.
You're right. It's like trying to compare Wilt to Michael. I'm not saying that Ayton is going to score 100 in a game.

Hey, wouldn't it be something if he and DBook each score 50 in a game vs. the Cavs and the Suns win 150-89? :rolleyes:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ahhh the internet age. Where everyone overreacts to every little thing. Any discussion that has anything to do with whether or not teams got their picks right this year are at least a couple years too soon.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
there's no reason to get nervous when someone mentions Doncic, Young, or any of the other lottery picks
i haven't written or read one post that suggested we went wrong with Ayton and should have picked someone else

what i have written and read is discussions about how good the other picks are turning out
standard sports discussion stuff

that being said, months before the draft, my pick was Young, then Doncic
ultimately, i went with Ayton, and it will be many years before that decision can be accurately judged

for now, i'll continue to judge his daily performance

MOVE WITHOUT THE BALL, BIG FELLA!

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
there's no reason to get nervous when someone mentions Doncic, Young, or any of the other lottery picks
i haven't written or read one post that suggested we went wrong with Ayton and should have picked someone else

what i have written and read is discussions about how good the other picks are turning out
standard sports discussion stuff

that being said, months before the draft, my pick was Young, then Doncic
ultimately, i went with Ayton, and it will be many years before that decision can be accurately judged

for now, i'll continue to judge his daily performance

MOVE WITHOUT THE BALL, BIG FELLA!
Not just their stats but the detail MVP votes are made up of. Which player makes their team better?

I'm not advocating any of them for NBA MVP votes. Just the concept of valuable being more important than flashy.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
tonight's GS game is why there's no 2nd guessing our #1 pick. 20/14/5 and he's not playing very aggressive. as EJ said, if you give him 30 minutes he will give you a double double.

i don't know if you can learn aggression. but experience and confidence will surely help

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, barring catostrophic injury, this guy is going to be an all-star, probably a hall of fame caliber player... even if he barely improves from right now... and he's only 20!!! The pick is unquestionable.

Doncic could have a fantastic career and I don't see how the Suns could ever be faulted for drafting a guy who can get 20-10 (either while feeling out the game or in 3rd gear depending on how you want to look at it) as a 20 year old.

Sacramento and Atlanta are the teams that really need to sweat if they screwed the pooch.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
tonight's GS game is why there's no 2nd guessing our #1 pick. 20/14/5 and he's not playing very aggressive. as EJ said, if you give him 30 minutes he will give you a double double.

i don't know if you can learn aggression. but experience and confidence will surely help

There will be second guessing and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Like Towns he’s going to average a really impressive stat line night to night but rarely make an all around impact. He will be a huge target for opposing offenses because he’s a center that has zero interest in protecting the rim.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Like Towns he’s going to average a really impressive stat line night to night but rarely make an all around impact. He will be a huge target for opposing offenses because he’s a center that has zero interest in protecting the rim.

He is three games into his career.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has only played 3 games and to me second guessing comes into play when you regret drafting the player you did. If Ayton continues to put up 20 and 10 I seriously doubt anybody questions that draft pick. Wondering how the 2nd or another draft pick would have done on your team is slightly different than second guessing to me. Maybe it's just semantics. :shrug:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Let's just hope we don't have another Amare situation on our hands where he has all the tools but just isn't interested in playing defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's just hope we don't have another Amare situation on our hands where he has all the tools but just isn't interested in playing defense.
I don't think that is the case. When he really worked on D, he ended up in foul trouble and then he was no good on offense either. His D is going to have to grow gradually I think. Unfortunately NBA refs do not call players consistently.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Say what you want about Anare’s shortcomings but he wanted to break his wrist on the rim and embarrass people. I remember him trying to swat balls into the 10th row early on in his career even though he wasn’t good defensively. He had a “bleep you” attitude.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have Nov. 19 circled on the schedule, when Ayton goes up against Embiid. I want to see him hold his own, and do a couple of things that Embiid can't do.

There's always a doubt whether Embiid will actually play, so I'm not holding my breath, especially when it's the Sixers on the road on Jan. 2.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The good news Ayton has something Amare didn’t have and that is Center size which you can’t teach and I have seen alter shots already.

Amare was a phenom offensively and I wish we had some of that offensive nasty on this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson