• Ayton

• Doncic

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ayton has been by far the best rookie.

Doncic is only putting up counting stats and HORRENDOUS advanced stats, pretty sure twitter blog bois are going to ignore it anyway.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s the latter that concerns me. If he’s not known for it he’s going to get ticky tacky calls against him. A lot of the roughest players are so rough all the time that they put pressure on refs not to foul them out. That’s a good thing.

Eh, I'm not worried about it. If Ayton continues to put up monster numbers the refs will start giving him calls left and right. The only star caliber players who refs don't defer to are the ones who are can't control themselves and get ejected for stupid crap, guys like Cousins.

Speaking of Warriors with bad attitudes... if Durant was the level of douche he is now with refs back when he was a younger player his rep would be completely different. That guy is rapidly becoming a total POS. I really want to see him go to some turd franchise, like the Knicks. It will be really interesting to see if this entitled version of Durant (one that didn't exist in OKC) comes off as anything but a pouty loser when the going gets tough.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh, I'm not worried about it. If Ayton continues to put up monster numbers the refs will start giving him calls left and right. The only star caliber players who refs don't defer to are the ones who are can't control themselves and get ejected for stupid crap, guys like Cousins.

This doesn’t hold true in the defensive end. Amare was a star and because his well earned rep was a terrible defender he didn’t get star calls at that end of the court. That’s what concerns me with not allowing Ayton to control the narrative early in his career.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Speaking of Warriors with bad attitudes... if Durant was the level of douche he is now with refs back when he was a younger player his rep would be completely different. That guy is rapidly becoming a total POS. I really want to see him go to some turd franchise, like the Knicks. It will be really interesting to see if this entitled version of Durant (one that didn't exist in OKC) comes off as anything but a pouty loser when the going gets tough.

It is weird with KD he's getting more T's and getting into more arguments all the time now. You see him smiling and laughing all the time, he is clearly MUCH happier than he was in OKC, but he's also much more volatile, not sure why.

He got a T earlier this year because on the last play of the first half he drove in and got hit, no call end of half. He waited until the 3rd quarter and the first remotely iffy call he went nuts and got a T. That is he waited like 20 minutes to get the right chance to complain about the no call at the end of the half.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other than Ayton, the rookie I've been most impressed with is Trae Young. Kind of an underdog story as there were many detractors of his who said he won't be able to his shot off in the NBA and his passing won't work in the NBA etc but he's playing really well. Especially considering he's been playing without Atlanta's best player in John Collins.

Atlanta has a nice young future core with Young, Collins, Prince and the pieces they will add in the next draft with a high selection then.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than Ayton, the rookie I've been most impressed with is Trae Young. Kind of an underdog story as there were many detractors of his who said he won't be able to his shot off in the NBA and his passing won't work in the NBA etc but he's playing really well. Especially considering he's been playing without Atlanta's best player in John Collins.

Atlanta has a nice young future core with Young, Collins, Prince and the pieces they will add in the next draft with a high selection then.
I really, really wanted to walk away with Trae and Ayton from this draft. I just wasn't sure how Trae and Booker would look together. I think the only problem would be defense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really, really wanted to walk away with Trae and Ayton from this draft. I just wasn't sure how Trae and Booker would look together. I think the only problem would be defense.

That's a pretty big problem lol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a pretty big problem lol

I don't think it's as big of a problem as years past. The NBA is letting perimeter players get away more and more all the time and perimeter defense is sort of frowned upon it seems. I think Young and Booker could outscore most opposing backcourts and so long as we had a rim protector of sorts to keep opposing guards from forming a layup line, we could win with those 2 as our backcourt. It'll be interesting to see how the officials handle the playoffs this year because it seems like physical defense is drawing whistles constantly right now and if that actually carried over into the postseason, it could be interesting. The Warriors would still be the favorites because no one is outshooting Curry, Durant, and Klay though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's as big of a problem as years past. The NBA is letting perimeter players get away more and more all the time and perimeter defense is sort of frowned upon it seems. I think Young and Booker could outscore most opposing backcourts and so long as we had a rim protector of sorts to keep opposing guards from forming a layup line, we could win with those 2 as our backcourt. It'll be interesting to see how the officials handle the playoffs this year because it seems like physical defense is drawing whistles constantly right now and if that actually carried over into the postseason, it could be interesting. The Warriors would still be the favorites because no one is outshooting Curry, Durant, and Klay though.

Yeah, I agree. I pushed for a trade and a Young/Booker backcourt even before the league stepped up their focus on freedom of movement. The new interpretations just make those kind of players even more valuable. I think you might need a Gobert type defender in the middle to really thrive with that pairing but Ayton should suffice when he learns his role on D. As for postseason, I suspect they will allow more contact than in the regular season but it should still be less than we're used to in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Coming away with Ayton and Trae Young, I wouldn't worry about. Let the other teams worry.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense is a huge problem make no mistake Golden State is a beast defensively and what made Houston good last year was defense.

Have you seen us play? It's a layup drill

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's gonna be a problem with Ayton and Booker as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Doncic is playing well offensively but we’d be just as bad with him. If he lays off the onion rings and Texas bbq maybe he can be more of a force on that end.

God help us if Bamba or JJJ develop an offensive game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone else blown away by Aytons passing? Not fancy but extremely effective.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Yes his passing is far better than I expected. We have to have a consistent shooter on the floor with him and Booker.

Anderson must go to the bench and if TJ, JJ or Bridges cannot be relied on we need to make some trades.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was a very passer in college. I had pointed out that I was excited about that aspect of his game. But he’s been even better at that aspect of the game than I imagined.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The best part about his passing is how controlled he is. Even when the double team comes he doesn't panic pass it. He seems confident in his ability to see over it and wait for a good pass. There were a few instances where he passed when I thought he should have gone up to draw a foul but hopefully that assertiveness comes in time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'm excited about what we are going to see from Ayton at the end of the season. This kid is already the best Suns center I've seen in probably my Suns watching days, and he can get a lot better.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm excited about what we are going to see from Ayton at the end of the season. This kid is already the best Suns center I've seen in probably my Suns watching days, and he can get a lot better.

Krang - that's an insult to Mark West. You take that back immediately!!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Eh, I'm still good with Ayton over Doncic.

I think we all are. I was not nearly as sold on him as most people here, but the kid gas already exceeded my expectations. What I've seen him so far is what I was hoping to see in the middle or towards the end of next season.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Both have been putting up good #s this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave