• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of those Twitter Doncic fan boys were ridiculous. I can't believe there was ever a debate.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was impressed with Luka until he lost his legs. He needs to lay off the Texas BBQ.

So I voted for Ayton and after preseason and this game man that looks like the right choice.

However, I still believe Doncic will be a good player. Lonzo Ball with a better jump shot style player.

However you nailed it he lost his legs. Of course he just played pro ball til July so that makes sense. I remember when Dragic had to cut back on the international stuff. Doncic might run out of steam a lot this year

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All of those Twitter Doncic fan boys were ridiculous. I can't believe there was ever a debate.
Lol no doubt Ayton outplayed him in game one but still...this thread is worth bumping to boast off one game?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played until june and skipped summer league

He has 4 months off

and he's only 19 years old.

Dude looked like he had the goods in the first quarter and definitely has natural unteachable basketball skills/instincts, but yeah... he's going to be a player and even at this size could be a very good one, but he's got to get in better shape if he's gonna be one of the greats.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and he's only 19 years old.

Dude looked like he had the goods in the first quarter and definitely has natural unteachable basketball skills/instincts, but yeah... he's going to be a player and even at this size could be a very good one, but he's got to get in better shape if he's gonna be one of the greats.
I think he's gonna always have that Paul Pierce type body. Just needs to develop a game that' similar to it and already shows good playmaking ability.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Ayton won round one, that's for sure. Doesn't mean Doncic isn't going to be a very good NBA player. However, you can't teach Ayton's size and agility.

Fun fact: Ayton first picked up and started playing basketball at age 12. Doncic got his first professional basketball contract at age 13.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fun fact: Ayton first picked up and started playing basketball at age 12. Doncic got his first professional basketball contract at age 13.
I believe Chriss also only started playing basketball at the age 12 or 13 as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never questioned taking Ayton first, he was the clear cut pick.

But I also don't think I'd question taking Doncic second. He's going to be a player. Mavs need to help him eat healthier, work out better... and not even that he needs to get faster or stronger, but he needs to have energy after the opening 15 minutes. Some of that might have been adrenaline from his first NBA game but, regardless, he could use some cardio.

If his shot gets even marginally better he is going to be a really truly great player and I think his passing stats will improve when his teammates figure out how good of a passer he really is and start making playing more aggressively off the ball.

But... I think the "better playmaking Toni Kukoc" comparisons are accurate, but 'better play making Toni Kukoc' is a legit star. I also think he's kinda like better ball handling Lamar Odom, minus the crazy and drugs... which is also a potential star.

But, if Ayton has health on his side and the WANT to be a star... he's got the skills and athletic ability to be the best big man in almost every phase of the game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ayton 18 points 10 rebounds 6 assists 1 block 1 steal 0 turnovers 170 ortg 105 drtg +6.0 BPM 30 PER 76%TS

Doncic 10 points 8 rebounds 4 assists 0 block 0 steal 4 turnovers 62 ortg 135 drtg -12 BPM -2 PER 30%TS

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton 18 points 10 rebounds 6 assists 1 block 1 steal 0 turnovers 170 ortg 105 drtg +6.0 BPM 30 PER 76%TS

Doncic 10 points 8 rebounds 4 assists 0 block 0 steal 4 turnovers 62 ortg 135 drtg -12 BPM -2 PER 30%TS
You forgot SEVERAL second half air balls for Doncic!!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Those offensive/defensive ratings really hurt you when you play big minutes on a losing team.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No question Ayton. I would never have taken Doncic over him. Something you can’t put a price tag on and something that doesn’t show up in the stats are altered shots.

Ayton altered a bunch of shots on top of what he did. If this is any indication he is the real deal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We MADE 19 3s at a 56% clip. That is a blatant reason at how much having Ayton helps us. We won't be doing that a lot, but it speaks volumes.
There's been a couple layups where the defense would not leave Ayton to stop the guy from the basket because they were afraid of a lob to Ayton. Ayton does change the floor play.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes, his mere presence is an asset, but underutilized in game 1. both he and this team are guaranteed to get better together.

the league is not a center oriented game today because there are few dominant centers. he needs to stay aggressive. touch the ball almost every possession and be a threat to make a play or open someone else up.

also, he could grab more rebounds if he jumped more. it seems like he's conserving energy sometimes. unlike bulky big men, he's got a body type that should allow him to be more active. maybe he needs better conditioning.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the pre-draft consensus was right. ayton, doncic in that order. anyone dissing doncic based on his first game stats is just being defensive. i certainly won't pull for him to have a great career with Cuban, though.

he tried a little too hard and forced some shots in game 1, and i caught a glimpse of him perhaps being a little hot-headed in like Gambo had warned about. i think he will have a Kidd-like career, including his temperament.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson