Ayton 7th Best Center Entering The Season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Covert Rain, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Honestly. I will take it considering how much time this guys has missed. In a field of 30 that is nothing to scoff at either. He is young, still learning and improving.

"Tim Duncan, Blake Griffin, Shaquille O'Neal and Towns are the only players in league history to match or exceed his career averages for points (17.1) and rebounds (10.8) through an age-21 season."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888735-ranking-nbas-top-15-centers-this-season

Ronin likes this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Ronin likes this.
  3. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

For comparison sake, Anthony Davis was averaging 19.7 ppg & 9.5 rbg at that point. I thought it was odd he wasn't listed so I looked up his stats. He's short on the boards but over on the points. Here are the stats comparing the 2 through age 21 seasons.

http://bkref.com/tiny/Pn8g0

Mainstreet and Ronin like this.
  4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

It’s no small feat even if you add one person.

Ronin likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

Ronin likes this.
  6. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

Wilt didn't enter the league until he was 23, so all these under 21 stats are meaningless when these guys hit age 23!

upload_2020-7-11_7-47-7.png

7. Mainstreet

@Yuma

The player comparison finder can be adjusted for age.

For example we can compare Shaq, Tim Duncan and Wilt at age 23 or any NBA player at that age.

http://bkref.com/tiny/WT95p

8. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

The 67-68 season he told Reporters he would lead the league isn assists, and averaged 23.8 reounds, 8.6 assists, and 24.3 points a game, was a monstrous season! He averaged 41.5 points in the playoffs for Philly! One year he averaged 50.4 points a game! One year in Philly, Wilt was able to get a team of decent players and they CRUSHED the teams they met in the playoffs. Unfortunately players left and retired after that season. Bill Russell should get his due for the number of rings he won. However, put Wilt on Boston, watch out! I always say Russell would not have been able to win a ring on the Philly teams that Wilt played on. Wilt managed to drag them to a title. He is really an underated former player when people bring up all time teams, etc.

9. Mainstreet

Wilt is underrated for sure but I don't think it's intentional.

Most people simply never had the opportunity to watch him play. Of course the same can be said about Bill Russell, but like you said, he has all those championships for a legacy. Russell had tremendous talent around him but defense was his calling card which helped his reputation as a team player.

Wilt doesn't take a backseat to anyone. I wouldn't want to argue against him being the best player of all time.

10. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Especially when you consider the stats of the rest of the Centers (and all players) during that period.

But many fans say All Time, but mean in their personal experience.

Of course, for some of us, Wilt's tenure was our personal experience. :)

That being said, Wilt was the best player in terms of stats, but Russ was the Most Valuable.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

He is my vote. He would dominate the league today.

Bobster likes this.
  12. Finito

Finito Registered

Put Wilt on those stacked Celtics teams they win just as many championships.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  13. Bobster

Bobster Registered

I caught the tail end of Wilt's career when he was with the Lakers and not as interested in scoring (although he threw in an occasional 60-point game to prove a point) and I can only tell you this - there are four athletes that the opponents were in awe of and they never wanted to poke the bear and make them mad. Wilt, Jim Brown, Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth.

Shaq could have been one, Bo Jackson could have been one, but I can't think of anyone beyond that. (Wayne Gretzky just looked to normal and did things with guile, which may be even more impressive).

Wilt could obviously score and rebound, but his defense and passing are underrated. Playing for Eddie Gottlieb's team may have hurt him in the long run - Gottlieb was into the star system and wanted Wilt to score as much as he could, which fed into Wilt's enormous ego and probably wasn't the best way to build a championship contender.

14. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I agree but I would nitpick and say that while Shaq could have been one, Bo Jackson WOULD have been one. I'd also add Tiger Woods to the list of athletes that were on a different plane. And I'd put Reggie Jackson in the Shaq category, could have been in that group had he wanted to be.

But Wilt was unique IMO. He was the best player on the court even when he was mailing it in, he was otherworldly when he was motivated.

15. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Wilt was the most incredible scorer in the history of the league. He also put the ball thru the hoop quite a bit.

BC867, Finito and Hoop Head like this.