ASU VS Stanford

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here we go... The devils take the court looking to make it 11 in a row... LETS GO DEVILS!!!!

Should be exciting....

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
UofA won... That was seriously a must win for them... if they had lost that game.. Their Tournament chances would have been SLIM....

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First Half thoughts

Things Good

Our Defense has been VERY good... our rebounding has been impressive, we seem to just want it more than Standford so far which is GREAT....

Our FT is on target so far

Things not so good

Boteng kind of sucks.... He is raw, and has made about 5 bone head plays in the 1st half alone....

Our shooting has been below average (just 41%)

Things to do in the 2nd half:

1st- We HAVE to make sure Pendergraph doesn't pick up his 3rd foul until atleast the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half

2nd- We need to continue to get to the line, drive the lane, and be aggressive

3rd- Keep up the defense.. I pointed this out in an earlier thread, I don't think that Stanford has the shooters to be able to beat us, as long as we keep pressure on the perimiter, and deny the entry pass, we will be looking good!

GO DEVILS!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing about the first half is that none of the Devils are in foul trouble. They should be able to be very aggressive in the second half.

Right now, everyone who gets in the game is contributing in some way. It seems that all the players know their roles and accept them. What's more, the schemes on offense and defense rarely have players doing things they aren't comfortable with. That's good coaching.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - they called THAT a foul?

Pendy lowered his shoulder and attempted to drive to the bucket with a defender playing him tight (hands up - good "D") and they blew the whistle and said Pendy hooked him with his elbow?

:lame:

The defender had good position and was playing him straight up. Pendy probably would have passed the ball out. No call to make in that situation. UGH.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If things keep going like this ... just put Pendy back in and let him play until he fouls out...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always torn when a guy gets his 4th foul. Pull him and sit him on the bench, but if your team can't keep it close - put him back in. If you can't keep up without the player in foul trouble you might as well let him play until he gets called for his last foul, if he does. Otherwise you might be losing by too much before you go back to him and he can't help you at all. Sucks.

Still a great season so far. Still tied for 1st in the Pac-10.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
- LOL. Pac-10 officiating at it's best.

- Brook Lopez is a stiff. I laugh at his glowing scouting report. Will never be anything more than a warm body for a crappy NBA team... if he's lucky.

- The Devils just hit a wall in the 2nd half... it happens. This is a nice, young, hard-working team. Definitely not the most talented, but perhaps the best coached.

- UCLA, WSU, and USC are the elite teams in the PAC, the rest are playing for their tourney lives from here on out.

- UCLA and NC, Final Two.

- Chase Budinger is a disappointment to me. I thought he would come in and make more of a difference. But, he just seems like an average perimeter guard. For as good as he was in HS, I would have expected more. Will have a hard time making the NBA.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah.. would have been nice to see The devils not have their ONLY inside presence out.. and Pendergraph DOESN'T FOUL a lot... which is weird that the refs called him for three straight ticky tack fouls in 4 minutes...

Pendergraph doesn't get screwed.. we win... but its all good.. we will get them in Tempe in a few weeks... maybe without the hometown Calls, we could play a fair good game...

It prolly would have been A LOT tougher position if we had blown the 10 point half time lead with Pendergraph...

And the last thing we can take from this Boetang.. played very poorly...lol hes young hopefully he'll get better...

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
That 4th foul that Pendergraph got was so freaking cheap. Anyways, thats what lost us the game. We never recovered. This was a game we should of won. We were going to win. But that 4th foul on Pendergraph, which I don't think was even a foul, lost it for us. Ah well, Top 25 was short lived.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 4th foul that Pendergraph got was so freaking cheap. Anyways, thats what lost us the game. We never recovered. This was a game we should of won. We were going to win. But that 4th foul on Pendergraph, which I don't think was even a foul, lost it for us. Ah well, Top 25 was short lived.

I'm not so sure that we drop out of the top 25.

We didn't handle adversity real well, especially the first five minutes, or so, after Pendy got foul #4. But, we had a lot of inexperienced guys out there so that's not too big of a surprise. I still think we'll be competitive for at least 4th or 5th place right up until the end of conference play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that we drop out of the top 25.

We didn't handle adversity real well, especially the first five minutes, or so, after Pendy got foul #4. But, we had a lot of inexperienced guys out there so that's not too big of a surprise. I still think we'll be competitive for at least 4th or 5th place right up until the end of conference play.

I think ASU has a legit shot at top 3. The thing that makes WSU so hard to play is the style on both ends is so different than most teams that there's an adjustment when you play them. Same with UCLA, and same now with ASU. They're the only team in the conference that zones that much, and they play a VERY tight zone, and they do things offensively that most teams don't see.

USC has the athletes obviously but lack bench and lack size on the glass, UCLA killed them on the offensive boards just couldn't convert, but in most of the conference games they have lost because of that. UA has talent but not sure they're ready for top 3.

It's wide open, oregon has a shot too although losing Catron was huge they didn't have any size as it was.

ASU is going to be a very difficult game for everyone.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. We've come a long way and were going to lose some PAC games anyway.

The paper said Harden has a badly injured groin. Any news on that yet?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough loss but the Devils will still be their when all said and done, and we will get revenage at home :) GO DEVILS

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. We've come a long way and were going to lose some PAC games anyway.

The paper said Harden has a badly injured groin. Any news on that yet?

ESPN story today says he might not play.

Rampant injuries in conference UCLA might be without bot Mata-Real and Mbah A Moute recovering from concussions. Oregon has a key player out, USC missing a guy etc.

But Harden out would be a huge blow to ASU, hope he's able to play.