ASU SunDevils on FSN

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Why are there hardly any televised games for the Sun Devils Basketball? For years it was Thursday and Saturday back to back with UofA on the other side... Not this year.

BTW, how ugly is this UofA vs. ASU game? Holy Crap.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy can Dave Libbey ruin a game or what?

It's unreal that guy is still working.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yikes what an ugly game for both teams, ASUs shooting was awful. Bad call at the end on the pick by Hill, but it evens it up for the bad foul call on Pendergraph when he picked up his 4th (or was it 3rd?) on Hill when Pendy was straight up and down and trying to let Hill score.

Very poor composure by both teams, UA's assistant picking up the T was stupid, as was Harden trying to block Budingers last shot and potentially bruising his hip really bad.

Big win for ASU either way, its been eons since theyve won at McKale, Pauly and Maples in one season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boy can Dave Libbey ruin a game or what?

It's unreal that guy is still working.

Libbey has screwed the UofA many times. He did not like Lute at all while. I can't believe he freakin' made that call and then gave a technical on Dunlap. Even the ASU announcer was shocked.

As for the game, congrats on the win. It was very ugly but someone had to win it. I don't know why Harden was in at the end of the game and even contesting a meaningless shot by Chase. Hope he is okay.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Libbey has screwed the UofA many times. He did not like Lute at all while. I can't believe he freakin' made that call and then gave a technical on Dunlap. Even the ASU announcer was shocked.
Who cares? This team was going nowhere even with a W tonight. Beating ASU is not a barometer, going to the Tournament is. Get this season over with and hire the new coach, then we can seriously discuss Arizona Basketball.

And we all should of figured the Pac-10 would try and kick us while we were down considering how much Lute ripped the conference administration over the last twenty years. Just be thankful nobody has taken our place as UCLA's sidekick. We'll be back there if we put our money where our mouth is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for the game, congrats on the win. It was very ugly but someone had to win it. I don't know why Harden was in at the end of the game and even contesting a meaningless shot by Chase. Hope he is okay.

Everyone in the Pac 10 thinks Libbey hates them. He's just a horrible ref.

Proves once again my theory that roughly 90% of all Technical fouls are the result of a bad call. You have the hang on the rim or confrontations between players that come out to about 10%, the other 90 are almost always ref makes bad call, someone argues, ref calls T to avoid admitting he knew he blew the call.

UA is not getting any help they lost the USC game in part to a horrible call on Wise and then any chance last night ended with the bad call and then T.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I would really hate to see UofA end their streak of consecutive tournament appearences. Both teams last night were terrible.

What has happened to Chase? As a freshman, he looked like the second coming of the next great UofA player... what happened to that guy? On the flip side, Jordan Hill is a stud. He really has improved this year in just about every aspect of his game. Good to see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody else think Chase semi intentionally pulled/pushed Harden down on that fall at the end of the game?

watching the play it looks like he's pissed off that Harden didn't just give him the layup so he reaches out with his left hand to grab at Harden as he's falling and winds up pulling/pushing on Harden which helps cause harden to fall like that.

I don't think he meant to injure him of course but I don't think Harden would have fallen anywhere near that hard if not for the contact from Chase.

harden of course should have just let him go make the shot.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Everyone in the Pac 10 thinks Libbey hates them. He's just a horrible ref.
Most Pac-10 officials are poor, Libbey is just the most well-known because he has been around the longest. Even the vets in this league get swayed by crowd noise like they're rookie officials. It's pathetic considering how relatively tame most Pac-10 arenas are.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Pac-10 officials are poor, Libbey is just the most well-known because he has been around the longest. Even the vets in this league get swayed by crowd noise like they're rookie officials. It's pathetic considering how relatively tame most Pac-10 arenas are.

He's just a horrible ref he doesn't seem to get that players should determine hte outcome of games not refs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some guy on UA's scout.com message board is bragging he hit Libbey with not one but two water bottles after the game, and then outran campus police to get away with it.

No idea if he's exaggerating or not but I have to admit it would be funny if true.

HooverDam

Reaction score
What has happened to Chase? As a freshman, he looked like the second coming of the next great UofA player... what happened to that guy?

I thin the longer he stays in college the more he's hurting his draft stock. THe more other teams can scout him they can figure out how to stop him and have really exposed his weaknesses. He seems extremely unaggressive and disinterested at times. I'm just glad he didn't come out last year because some mock drafts had him going around where the Suns were picking and I didn't want him to end up here.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chase Budinger is absolutely terrible, I mean bad. How is he projecting to be a 1st round pick?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chase Budinger is absolutely terrible, I mean bad. How is he projecting to be a 1st round pick?

Chase is a good player but not a first round pick. In my opinion I think because he is white and has a 40 inch vertical, the media builds him up and that helps his stock. I doubt he comes back next year because some team will promise to draft him in the first round.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chase is a good player but not a first round pick. In my opinion I think because he is white and has a 40 inch vertical, the media builds him up and that helps his stock. I doubt he comes back next year because some team will promise to draft him in the first round.

First off, the projected first pick in the draft is half-white. Secondly, what does a 40 inch vertical have to do with anything? He looks dreadful on the court. He has never in his life taken over a game, he doesn't lead and he's wouldn't be the first or second option on most top 25 teams in the NCAA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, the projected first pick in the draft is half-white. Secondly, what does a 40 inch vertical have to do with anything? He looks dreadful on the court. He has never in his life taken over a game, he doesn't lead and he's wouldn't be the first or second option on most top 25 teams in the NCAA.

his problem is while he can absolutely sky, he has no lateral quickness at all. That's why his defense is bad and why he can't get around anybody on offense.

He has improved I'll give him that but if you compare him with say Demar Derozan of USC, they're essentially the same type of athlete, same size, skywalker, not much lateral quickness. Chase is a better shooter with better range. but if you're an NBA scout deciding between those 2 you're going to take Derozan because he's 2-3 years younger so you assume he has a higher ceiling.

I would be surprised if Chase came back though he just doesn't seem to be having any fun when he plays.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chase should have stuck to volleyball. But I can't blame the 'Cats, they're fielding a terrible team. Chase wouldn't start on probably the top 40 teams in the nation. A range the Wildcats don't fit in, so they can start the volleyball player who happens to be able to bounce a basketball

HooverDam

Reaction score
Chase should have stuck to volleyball. But I can't blame the 'Cats, they're fielding a terrible team. Chase wouldn't start on probably the top 40 teams in the nation. A range the Wildcats don't fit in, so they can start the volleyball player who happens to be able to bounce a basketball

Dude what the hell are you talking about? I hate UA as much as anyone, but if Chase were at ASU he'd be starting.