ASU Hoops recruiting: Jabari Brown to visit

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He's probably just waiting until the Rivers' commitment hype dies down so he can announce ASU. Most of these kids unfortunately have just as inflated egos as their NBA counterparts.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent news...who knew Herb could recruit? ASU/U of A games have the potential to be very interesting going forward.

Juan Anderson (6'7, 200lb SF from Oakland), who many tab as the best SF in the West, is currently in Tempe for a visit and is said to be a package deal with Brown. If true, I bet it's the reason why Brown is dragging out his decision (so him and Anderson can announce together). Sendek is doing work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Juan Anderson (6'7, 200lb SF from Oakland), who many tab as the best SF in the West

Huh? I haven't seen anyone tab him as that, got a link? Id be very happy if ASU got him, especially if he was a package deal with Brown, but its not like he's a 5 star kinda guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? I haven't seen anyone tab him as that, got a link? Id be very happy if ASU got him, especially if he was a package deal with Brown, but its not like he's a 5 star kinda guy.

Greg Hicks put him at #1 in July for SF's, obviously he thought Anderson was going to UCLA since he only rates #1 prospects at positions to kids he think might go to UCLA :D

FYI Anderson plays in Castro Valley not Oakland, he may be from Oakland originally don't know, he's a real late bloomer nobody really heard of him until 6 months ago maybe? Hicks really likes him, he's also listed at 6'5" not 6'7"

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Welp, Juan Anderson has committed to Marquette. Hopefully this doesn't hurt ASUs chances with Brown.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, Juan Anderson has committed to Marquette. Hopefully this doesn't hurt ASUs chances with Brown.

YEah that's a surprise a lot of people thought he was going to Cal.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Apparently he's announcing live tomorrow on ESPNU w/ Woten, I imagine thats bad news for the Devils :(

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Hoover, what time is this announcement supposed to be at? I was really hoping he would end up a devil. Here's to hoping Wroten chose Louisville and Brown is coming here.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Thats a quick decision after just visiting Oregon...

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
ASU had the last in-home visit with him last night. I think the announcement is at 3:00 PM

Apparently this is not true. I too had heard this, but apparently said visit never happened. Saw this rebutted somewhere, but can't seem to find where now. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently this is not true. I too had heard this, but apparently said visit never happened. Saw this rebutted somewhere, but can't seem to find where now. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

It did happen!

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score

I can confirm that it did happen inspite of reports to the contrary.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Lost him to the ducks. Wow. Apparently he was "blown away" with this visit.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well in the short run its disappointing, in the long view though its amazing we're even in on kids like this. Herbs done a great job and Im sure he'll continue to do a great job. Lets hope he focuses on Daniels now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lost him to the ducks. Wow. Apparently he was "blown away" with this visit.

It's hard to argue with the lure of Nike. And of course Oregon has wide open PT.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
It's hard to argue with the lure of Nike. And of course Oregon has wide open PT.

he was going to get PT at any school he chose, I cant imagine that being much of a factor. He said himself Nike was part of his decision. Either way its very puzzling, he must be thinking he'll only be there for a year and out in time before a postseason or possible sanctions occur.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was going to get PT at any school he chose, I cant imagine that being much of a factor. He said himself Nike was part of his decision. Either way its very puzzling, he must be thinking he'll only be there for a year and out in time before a postseason or possible sanctions occur.

Yeah they all think they're one and done so you're probably right. He's really good but he needs a lot of work on his handle and defense. I'd be surprised if any of these guys are really locks to be one and done. Brown has the best NBA ready body he's taller than Johnson or Powell and very strong, but he's only 6'4" tops maybe smaller. Wroten isn't strong enough and can't shoot. FYI Wroten picked UW.

UW will be interesting next year, I can't see how IT can go pro early he's just too short and not a PG. So they'll likely have IT and Gaddy with other guards and then have Wroten and Stewart coming in trying to find minutes.

Wroten just stopped getting better, not the same since his knee injury yet either. APparently UW recruited him as a PG.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
For what it's worth, both Juan Anderson and Jabari Brown wanted to go to ASU, but their parents wanted them to go elsewhere (Brown was ready to commit after his visit). Juan's was due to SB 1070 and Jabari's parents wanted him to be the main man on the team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
For what it's worth, both Juan Anderson and Jabari Brown wanted to go to ASU, but their parents wanted them to go elsewhere (Brown was ready to commit after his visit). Juan's was due to SB 1070 and Jabari's parents wanted him to be the main man on the team.
Recruiting 101: It doesn't matter what the kid wants, you sell the decision-maker. AAU coach, family friend, high school coach, parent, guardian, etc.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Recruiting 101: It doesn't matter what the kid wants, you sell the decision-maker. AAU coach, family friend, high school coach, parent, guardian, etc.

I'm sure Sendek tried that. Sendek isn't flawless but one thing you can't say about him is that he's dumb or isn't a very thoughtful person. Im sure Herb tried his darndest with the parents/guardians of each kid, it just didn't work out.

Really though Ill take ASUs chances with parents liking Herb 9 times out of 10. If you were a parent wouldn't you want your kid playing for a guy like Herb? He doesn't ooze slime like Calipari. He's never had a program even come close to being in trouble, he doesn't spend his time at Turf Paradise like Frieder. He's a brainiac but has a dry wit too, he doesn't keep thugs around (nor does he recruit them in the first place), etc, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if to win at the highest level in college sports (particular the 2 big ones) your program doesn't have to be just a little bit dirty. It always seems like after a program goes on a run of success there are sanctions to follow. Sendek doesn't seem willing to play that game and if playing it clean means the Sweet 16 is the Devils ceiling, thats fine with me. Id rather lose clean than win dirty.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Someone should have told Doris Ward about that maybe Josiah would have picked UCLA.

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard