ASU Hoops recruiting: Jabari Brown to visit

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm sure Sendek tried that. Sendek isn't flawless but one thing you can't say about him is that he's dumb or isn't a very thoughtful person. Im sure Herb tried his darndest with the parents/guardians of each kid, it just didn't work out.

Really though Ill take ASUs chances with parents liking Herb 9 times out of 10. If you were a parent wouldn't you want your kid playing for a guy like Herb? He doesn't ooze slime like Calipari. He's never had a program even come close to being in trouble, he doesn't spend his time at Turf Paradise like Frieder. He's a brainiac but has a dry wit too, he doesn't keep thugs around (nor does he recruit them in the first place), etc, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if to win at the highest level in college sports (particular the 2 big ones) your program doesn't have to be just a little bit dirty. It always seems like after a program goes on a run of success there are sanctions to follow. Sendek doesn't seem willing to play that game and if playing it clean means the Sweet 16 is the Devils ceiling, thats fine with me. Id rather lose clean than win dirty.
I'd rather win. You do have to respect Sendek though.

It's really disappointing to lose this one. It really shows why we are a step lower than some of these programs. Regardless, I'm excited for the upcoming season. Sendek is doing some good things and it will be interesting to watch some of the new guys.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You neglect to mention that he pretty much sucked for the rest of the summer which is why everyone in the Pac-10 except UCLA dropped him. Maybe it was this alleged injury, maybe not but nobody outside of Steve Fisher at SDSU and Ben Howland was recruiting this kid on the West Coast. Not sure I can say he's the best prospect out here with his fan club only consisting of those schools. Especially when kids like Nick Johnson, Josiah Turner, DeAndre Daniels, Jabari Brown, and Jahii Carson had not just several Pac-10 programs but other major players like Kansas, Louisville, UConn, etc. going after them.

Just an update on Norman Powell since UCLA fans need good news and I thought Mao might appreciate the opinion of ESPN's Joel Francisco. This is from a recent tournament in So Cal that Powell's HS won. Sort of mirrors what I said about his athleticism. Wish he could play right now we need a SG.

Norman Powell (San Diego, Calif./Lincoln)
2011, SG, 6-foot-3, 190 pounds
The UCLA commit dominated the field in a variety of ways. His explosiveness is awe-inspiring as he hammered down a few dunks that would have made Dominique Wilkins proud. Overall, his game is reminiscent of current NBA player Jason Richardson. Powell can get to the rim at will as he glides in transition and knock down 3-pointerers, but needs to be much more consistent. In addition, his ballhandling can get a bit sloppy, but Ben Howland has a great reputation for developing raw talents.