Discussion in 'Arizona State' started by AZCB34, Nov 23, 2019.
2020 baseball schedule released
Very high preseason ranking
Besides ASU at #3:
Game #1...ASU 4-1 over Villanova at Phoenix Muni. Torkelson with his 1st HR. Some errors let in a run in the middle of the game, but insurance runs in the 7th and 8th proved the difference. Attendance announced at 2,300 or so.
Two games today. Villanova and Michigan
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
At least the pitching seems improved. Their strength is supposed to be offense so hopefully when this gets untracked they will be a better team than last season.
Sun Devils (2-2) beat Villanova on Sunday 6-4. Whew.
They play Oklahoma State on Tuesday.
I'm grateful for the live streams, but it's kind of sad that GCU baseball is on television and ASU isn't.
Probably thank the Pac-12 Network for that.
My impression from seeing 3 of the 4 games is that the offense is just fine. Everyone expected that. Especially the presence on the bases. So they laid an egg against Michigan. In the span of a whole season, I don't think that's a big deal. The fielding is okay but not great, They do have flashes. They saved multiple runs Sunday against Villanova with smart work in the field. The pitching was the one question entering the season. I guess you could say it runs hot then cold right now.
My sin and I went to the game vs Oklahoma State last night. Couple of observations:
1. The lineup misses Hunter Bishop. His presence made everyone better and gave Torkelson some protection. While this team will, hopefully, start hitting, there is no teeth to this lineup. ASU had opportunities to blue the game open and never got a clutch hit
2. Pitchers got into some jams but were able to get out of them. It seems pitching is better than last year. Offense had got to support pitchers when they are having good outings.
3. Clearly, the #3 preseason ranking was misguided.
4. Oklahoma State wanted the game and to them, it wasn't some throw away Tuesday game early in the year.they had more energy from the outset
Only was able to read the write-up about the Oklahoma State game. It's tough to lose a game 2-1 with the Sun Devils pitching staff striking out 18 with 12 by Tolman.
I know ASU added a pitching coach but what has happened to their hitting.
Torkelson will continue to not see the best pitches until everyone else starts hitting. Last night it felt like Alika Williams and Drew Swift were the only guys really driving the baseball. Tork ripped a double but otherwise nothing stood out
Smith made a couple of head scratching decisions, none more glaring that have Swift attempt a sacrifice bunt in the 9th. Swift had crushed the ball all game and to effectively take that bat out of his hands at that juncture was silly.
Losing Bishop is clearly an issue.
5. WAY too many runners left on base the whole weekend.
FWIW, I was in section 6, and two guys from Oklahoma told me OSU's new 1st base coach is Robin Ventura.
Section 7 for me.
Interesting about Ventura.
Separate names with a comma.