ASU Baseball 2020

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Game #1...ASU 4-1 over Villanova at Phoenix Muni. Torkelson with his 1st HR. Some errors let in a run in the middle of the game, but insurance runs in the 7th and 8th proved the difference. Attendance announced at 2,300 or so.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Rough start. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough start. :(

At least the pitching seems improved. Their strength is supposed to be offense so hopefully when this gets untracked they will be a better team than last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils (2-2) beat Villanova on Sunday 6-4. Whew.

They play Oklahoma State on Tuesday.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm grateful for the live streams, but it's kind of sad that GCU baseball is on television and ASU isn't.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm grateful for the live streams, but it's kind of sad that GCU baseball is on television and ASU isn't.
Probably thank the Pac-12 Network for that.

My impression from seeing 3 of the 4 games is that the offense is just fine. Everyone expected that. Especially the presence on the bases. So they laid an egg against Michigan. In the span of a whole season, I don't think that's a big deal. The fielding is okay but not great, They do have flashes. They saved multiple runs Sunday against Villanova with smart work in the field. The pitching was the one question entering the season. I guess you could say it runs hot then cold right now.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My sin and I went to the game vs Oklahoma State last night. Couple of observations:

1. The lineup misses Hunter Bishop. His presence made everyone better and gave Torkelson some protection. While this team will, hopefully, start hitting, there is no teeth to this lineup. ASU had opportunities to blue the game open and never got a clutch hit

2. Pitchers got into some jams but were able to get out of them. It seems pitching is better than last year. Offense had got to support pitchers when they are having good outings.

3. Clearly, the #3 preseason ranking was misguided.

4. Oklahoma State wanted the game and to them, it wasn't some throw away Tuesday game early in the year.they had more energy from the outset

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sin and I went to the game vs Oklahoma State last night. Couple of observations:

1. The lineup misses Hunter Bishop. His presence made everyone better and gave Torkelson some protection. While this team will, hopefully, start hitting, there is no teeth to this lineup. ASU had opportunities to blue the game open and never got a clutch hit

2. Pitchers got into some jams but were able to get out of them. It seems pitching is better than last year. Offense had got to support pitchers when they are having good outings.

4. Oklahoma State wanted the game and to them, it wasn't some throw away Tuesday game early in the year.they had more energy from the outset

Only was able to read the write-up about the Oklahoma State game. It's tough to lose a game 2-1 with the Sun Devils pitching staff striking out 18 with 12 by Tolman.

I know ASU added a pitching coach but what has happened to their hitting.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only was able to read the write-up about the Oklahoma State game. It's tough to lose a game 2-1 with the Sun Devils pitching staff striking out 18 with 12 by Tolman.

I know ASU added a pitching coach but what has happened to their hitting.

Torkelson will continue to not see the best pitches until everyone else starts hitting. Last night it felt like Alika Williams and Drew Swift were the only guys really driving the baseball. Tork ripped a double but otherwise nothing stood out

Smith made a couple of head scratching decisions, none more glaring that have Swift attempt a sacrifice bunt in the 9th. Swift had crushed the ball all game and to effectively take that bat out of his hands at that juncture was silly.

Losing Bishop is clearly an issue.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score

5. WAY too many runners left on base the whole weekend.

FWIW, I was in section 6, and two guys from Oklahoma told me OSU's new 1st base coach is Robin Ventura. :p

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5. WAY too many runners left on base the whole weekend.

FWIW, I was in section 6, and two guys from Oklahoma told me OSU's new 1st base coach is Robin Ventura. :p

Section 7 for me.

Interesting about Ventura.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Devils swept Boston College over the last weekend, and squeaked by NMSU in 10. Let me just say the umpiring of that game sucked like [insert simile]. Balking home a run in the 9th for the Aggies? WTF?

Y'all should go out and see the games. The stands aren't crowded, it's relaxed, no snowbirds. But bring a sweatshirt for sure!

And the Tork walk parade continues ad neauseam. I believe he leads in the NCAA in both total walks and intentional walks, and is going to break Bob Horner's school record by the end of this weekend when Nebraska comes to town.People in Detroit are already talking about making Tork the #1 pick in the draft. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...t-hitter-generational-type-player/4850662002/

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing that the Arizona schools let Nick Gonzales get away

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing that the Arizona schools let Nick Gonzales get away

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
ASU smoked the Huskers like cheap weed last night, with a load of their fans there. In 5 plate appearances, Tork recorded only 1 AB (SO), 3 walks, 2 runs, and an RBI on a HBP. I think Workman was the only guy who recorded a full game's worth of at-bats, because Nebraska couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. They basically put all the freshmen in for the 8th and 9th, the score, 31-5, wasn't nearly that close.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU smoked the Huskers like cheap weed last night, with a load of their fans there. In 5 plate appearances, Tork recorded only 1 AB (SO), 3 walks, 2 runs, and an RBI on a HBP. I think Workman was the only guy who recorded a full game's worth of at-bats, because Nebraska couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. They basically put all the freshmen in for the 8th and 9th, the score, 31-5, wasn't nearly that close.

In yesteryear Sun Devil baseball teams could come close to that score. They used to feed off Eastern teams like Michigan coming out West.

Still winning 13-5, I will take it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State (10-4) beats Cal State Fullerton twice on the road 12-2 and 9-3.

Although Fullerton may be down a bit, nevertheless impressive.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a hot streak.

Just that stumble right out of the gate the first weekend. Ever since, things are clicking even with Torkelson getting walked at a stunning rate. The last two weekends of Match they are playing OSU and Stanford... that will be a good measuring stick.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turns out that Stanford and OSU are having down years right now so maybe those two series aren't nearly as daunting as expected.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Series sweep of Fresno St. over the weekend. Not a bad team there in Fresno. Their guy Presno (I know, Presno from Fresno) is tied with Torkelson for 5th in HRs...The kid Gonzalez from NMSU is way far out front with 18.

ASU-UA game postponed until the 17th. The upcoming weekend series is with Utah. I hear they start serving tacos on Tuesday during the Pac-12 games...tacos and St. Patrick's Day! w00t!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose