ASU Baseball 2007

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Baseball Ranked 20th In Baseball America Preseason Poll
21st straight season Devils have been ranked in the preseason poll

Jan. 18, 2007

TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State Sun Devil baseball team has been ranked #20 in the Baseball America preseason Top 25. This marks the 21st consecutive season the Sun Devils have been ranked in the Baseball America preseason poll, the longest streak in the nation. The Devils were ranked #8 in the Rivals.com preseason poll, as well as #14 by both Collegiate Baseball and the NCBWA preseason polls.

ASU is one of three Pac-10 teams ranked in the Top 25. The UCLA Bruins were ranked 14th, while the defending national champion Oregon State Beavers were #16. In addition to their ranked Pac-10 foes, Arizona State will also face #8 Vanderbilt on February February 10 at the Houston College Classic.

The Devils open the 2007 when they take on Southern Utah on Friday February 2. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Winkles Field-Packard Stadium at Brock Ballpark.

:thumbup: It's college baseball season again!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This marks the 21st consecutive season the Sun Devils have been ranked in the Baseball America preseason poll, the longest streak in the nation.

:fans:

Go Devils !!

HooverDam

Reaction score
I have a friend coming in town during the Wazzu series, and he's never seen college baseball in person, so we are going to go to one of the games. Anyone know how Wazzu is supposed to be this year?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
ASU games are great. They are usually packed (I believe we're top-5 in all of college atendance annually) and are full of offense. The only problem is games can go on for hours and hours........

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I can't wait! I have loved watching college baseball since that tournament 2 years ago. That Nebraska game was amazing...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
We were named preseason PAC-10 favorites by the coaches, good news! Also, Mike Jones will play nearly the entire baseball season this year and Kyle Williams will join the team after his spring football duties are complete (he was practicing with the baseball team until 2nd semester started). They will both provide quality OF play and depth (both leadoff hitters with great speed in all areas of the game). If we can get some pitching this year, we will be scary. All in all, ASU Baseball can't start soon enough!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0129asubbpoll.html

Here's another article

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0129asubase0130.html

Nasser22

Reaction score
I read the azcentral article this morning. It got me really excited for the season...

Nasser22

Reaction score
ASU just won 23-2 and swept a weak Southern Utah team. Texas A&M is next.

Nasser22

Reaction score
ASU beat A&M @ Enron 5-4. Not a very impressive win, but a wins a win.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
ASU beat A&M @ Enron 5-4. Not a very impressive win, but a wins a win.

I could care less if it was impressive. Sure, we didn't beat them 20-0 like we beat Delaware St (or whoever we pounded) but a win against Texas A&M, in front of their home crowd nonetheless, in the 4th game of the year is just fine with me. Freshman Mike Leake threw five innings of shut out ball which is a great sign. The weather in Houston was not good and it was very cold so that could be a reason for the lack of offense.

I'll always take a win against a good team, especially in the 4th game of the year when we're still rusty

Nasser22

Reaction score
I could care less if it was impressive. Sure, we didn't beat them 20-0 like we beat Delaware St (or whoever we pounded) but a win against Texas A&M, in front of their home crowd nonetheless, in the 4th game of the year is just fine with me. Freshman Mike Leake threw five innings of shut out ball which is a great sign. The weather in Houston was not good and it was very cold so that could be a reason for the lack of offense.

I'll always take a win against a good team, especially in the 4th game of the year when we're still rusty
Well it was their 2nd game of the year so wouldn't they be rusty too? They aren't that great of a team but I'm still satisfied with the win. It sure beats losing "impressively". :)

Nasser22

Reaction score
See, close losses suck. I liked the win over A&M better. :(

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't get interested in college baseball. I don't even watch the college world series unless ASU or Notre Dame is playing.

Anybody remember Alvin Davis? He and I sat together in an MBA cash management class at ASU and got along well. I never even knew he was an All-American baseball player. He never mentioned it. Two years later I saw him hit a home run for the Seattle Mariners.

He was no dumb jock.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Devils play Missouri this Thursday (7pm at Packard) then start their annual Coca Cola Classic at Surprise Stadium (Missouri Friday, Oregon St Saturday, Gonzaga Sunday). I'm gonna go to the game on Thursday and see how we look.

FSN just announced that they will televise two of ASU's baseball games nationally beginning in March.

TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona State University and Fox Sports Net have announced that FSN Arizona will air two ASU baseball games this season, beginning in March.
The Sun Devils match-up in Los Angeles with the USC Trojans on Friday, March 23 at will be aired live on FSN Arizona. The game is set for a 7 p.m. Pacific Time start from Dedeaux Field.
FSN Arizona will also carry live the Sun Devils meeting with the UCLA Bruins on Saturday, May 12. That game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. Arizona Time first pitch from Winkles Field-Packard Stadium at Brock Ballpark. In addition to the live broadcasts on FSN Arizona, selected other FSN Regional channels will air the games on a tape-delay basis on the Sundays following the games.

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021307aaa.html

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Josh Satow was named PAC-10 Pitcher of the Week for his performance in this past weekends Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park. He threw a complete game (6 hits, 8 K's, 1 run) gem for his second win of the season. Congrats

TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona State's junior LHP Josh Satow was named the Pac-10 Pitcher of the Week, the conference announced today. Satow threw a complete game against Houston on Sunday at the Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park, fanning eight in the Sun Devil's 11-1 victory.
Satow (Scottsdale, Ariz.) was named to the Houston College Classic All-Tournament Team thanks to his complete game against the Cougars. He allowed only six hits and one run in helping the Devils go 2-1 in the tournament. The complete game was only the second in the seven-year history of the tournament and first since its inaugural year in 2001. Satow is now 2-0 on the season with a 1.29 ERA and 15 strike outs. The Pac-10 Pitcher of the Week honor is the first of Satow's career. He is the 49th Sun Devil to be named a Pac-10 Pitcher of the Week and the first since Pat Bresnehan in March of 2005. Three Sun Devils earned Pac-10 Player of the Week honors last season.
You must be registered for see images

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021307aab.html

Nasser22

Reaction score
12-4 loss to Oregon State. Tough beginning to the season...6-3 now. :( I still expect a good run in the tourny.

ASU softball is 12-0 and is ranked #2. :-D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard