ASU @ #21 USC

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
ASU just continues to find ways to remain a lower tier football program. It’s incredibly frustrating. And this is another blemish on herm imo.

Yeah, it seems just whenever I start to give Herm credit, he kills the team's momentum with his turtling.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well...57 minutes of good football doesn't cut it. I can handle losing an inside kick off it is played procurement but they played that one horrible.

Would have been fantastic to stick a dagger in USCs chances of making the playoff.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems just whenever I start to give Herm credit, he kills the team's momentum with his turtling.

Poor executing as well. Herm has this program in really good shape they just need to get over the hump. No excuses and Herm will take the blame but Daniels really didn't look all that great, the OL was bad in the first half but steadily improved...although I still think it is a problem.

On the tip TD, personally I feel like that throw isn't made if the ASU player doesn't jump offside. USC got lucky but they don't even realize it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I missed some of the game. What did he did to screw up the momentum?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Poor executing as well. Herm has this program in really good shape they just need to get over the hump. No excuses and Herm will take the blame but Daniels really didn't look all that great, the OL was bad in the first half but steadily improved...although I still think it is a problem.

On the tip TD, personally I feel like that throw isn't made if the ASU player doesn't jump offside. USC got lucky but they don't even realize it.
This. Mental errors started from that point are what lead to the loss. After that mistake came the missed recovery on onside kick and the defense was unable to stop USC on last drive.

Can't really blame Herm IMO. ASU was milking the clock and had they recovered the onside kick they could have run out remaining 3 minutes as USC had no timeouts left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed some of the game. What did he did to screw up the momentum?

There was an Arizona State drive before USC scored the touchdown and recovered the onside kick where the Sun Devils were content to run the ball and take time off the clock. They were conservative and content to give it back to their defense to win the game. IMO, you play to win.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was an Arizona State drive before USC scored the touchdown and recovered the onside kick where the Sun Devils were content to run the ball and take time off the clock. They were conservative and content to give it back to their defense to win the game. IMO, you play to win.

I kind of agree but a couple of thoughts:

1. 90% of coaches play out the same way the Devils did in that instance. Given how the defense was playing, it wasn't the worst logic.

2. If they throw there, the way Daniels was scattershot with his passes all day, an incomplete pass has us screaming about something different. And in this case, with USC selling out for the run, the only play would be a pass.

I get what you are saying but given the totality of the situation, I still think it wasn't the worst thought process.

Simply put, I think they played the onside kick terribly...Pop Warner bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of agree but a couple of thoughts:

1. 90% of coaches play out the same way the Devils did in that instance. Given how the defense was playing, it wasn't the worst logic.

2. If they throw there, the way Daniels was scattershot with his passes all day, an incomplete pass has us screaming about something different. And in this case, with USC selling out for the run, the only play would be a pass.

I get what you are saying but given the totality of the situation, I still think it wasn't the worst thought process.

Simply put, I think they played the onside kick terribly...Pop Warner bad.

I was explaining why I and others disagreed with the Sun Devils going conservative that one series before the USC avalanche.

Even so, I think a team wins probably 90% of the time using that strategy so I don't fault the coaching.

I would simply have liked for the Sun Devils to have been more creative that one drive like faking a hand off up the middle and the quarterback running a rollout.

I would have liked to have kept USC guessing. I'm not a fan of conceding an offensive series.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
No worries, UA going to boof this game just like ASU did. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA