ASFN Diet Challenge??

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have never dieted before and I think I want to lose 25 lbs on the Atkins diet since everybody says that it is the most effective. Since I have absolutely no motivation I was thinking a contest would be in order to keep me and who ever else wants to join motivated.

So I was thinking, anyone else here who needs to lose 25 LBS (and I am thinking that is a lot of us :D) could join me in a contest to see who could lose 25 LBS the fastest??

We could all pitch in a few things as prizes, nothing big...for example: I have a Dave McGinnis autographed hat and a Jake plummer auto'd 8x10 that I got at training camp that I want to part with. Or I have a few certificates to starbucks and what not...whatever.

The rules would be simple but would have to be completely on the honor system. Nobody shall be forced to reveal their weight, this is all in fun. From the starting date chosen, whoever loses 25 lbs the fastest by whatever mean (liposuction is not an option) wins the pool of prizes.

Going by the guidlines of good health (losing 1-2 lbs a week), this should take us into late spring or early summer.

Would anyone be interested? Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions?

I am giving up alcohol in support of this so I am committed regardless

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I'm in...I'm 238 right now & want to get down to roughly 215.

I'm going back on my CKD program (cyclic ketogenic diet)

Basically, it's similar to Atkins in the low carb regime, but it includes weight training & cardio & you can have carbs after the depletion workout one day a week.

here's more info...
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm game - I'm looking to get back on the Atkins diet now that I'm feeling better and I can excercise again.

I'm 224 right now and I want to get back down to 175-180 - but 25 lbs is a start in the right direction.

Shawn

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in. I'm @ 261 this morning and need to be 235 by May.

In order for this to work properly, we need to give weekly updates. I will probably post my current status on Tuesdays (because the scale at the gym is near the mats where I do my Ab execises - don't want to exert too much energy the other days walking to the scale, ya know.)

If you don't want to post your weight, just post how much you are up or down this past week and total overall.

I'll post my weight because it freaking disgusts me and I'm kind of ashamed and this will light a fire under my ass to get motivated again.

BTW - I was @ 307 a year and a half ago and got down to 240 in Septemeber.

Pork rinds, Bacon, Cheese and Meat - here I come!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Atkins diet is a sham. It is extremely unhealthy for you. It will be this generations great fad.

I lost 25 pounds at this time last year in about 3 months before leveling off at 183 where I am now. How did I do it?

No funky diets. I hit the gym every other day for about an hour each time and the pounds melted off.

The only true way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. Very simple formula.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
The Atkins diet is a sham. It is extremely unhealthy for you. It will be this generations great fad.

I lost 25 pounds at this time last year in about 3 months before leveling off at 183 where I am now. How did I do it?

No funky diets. I hit the gym every other day for about an hour each time and the pounds melted off.

The only true way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. Very simple formula.

but that's no fun. I like bacon, cheese and pork rinds.

Actually, Atkins is very healthy - my cholesterol dropped significantly and blood pressure dropped dramatically from July to October (this is the only time I did Atkins). During my other weight loss, I still had problems with both.

The fat stores are actually used for fuel first instead of carbs first. For some, this will lead to fat loss. But you are right that you still have to watch portion size and caloric intake.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bah...you have no proof to back that up, in fact, the Heart Association (or whatever) came out with data from actual studies that it doesn't affect you at all, in fact, your cholesterol levels might even be lower than if you did another diet.

Sure, it's not something you should do for the rest of your life, but if you need to drop 25 pounds, it's a great diet, and then you can start working out and staying in shape to keep the pounds off.

Not everyone has time or money for a gym membership, I know I don't.

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recent popularity of diets high in protein, such as the Atkins Diet, has led to fears about their effect on the strength of your bones.

The more protein in your diet, the more calcium you lose in your urine. Because your bones are your largest source of stored calcium, there are concerns that the amount of protein eaten by people following the Atkins Diet (or any low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet) will increase the risk of osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis is often called the silent disease. You can lose bone without even knowing about it. The first sign you have osteoporosis may be when you step off a curb and your hip simply gives way, shattering a bone weakened by the loss of calcium.

Atkins diet
Evidence of a possible link between low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins Diet and bone loss was published in the American Journal of Kidney Diseases [22]. The six-week trial shows that the loss of calcium in urine increased during the study. What's more, this wasn't compensated for by an increase in calcium absorption. In other words, calcium balance dropped by up to 130 milligrams daily. To put this figure in context, one glass of low-fat cow's milk contains around 225 milligrams of calcium.

This means that subjects in the study were losing more calcium than they were getting from their diet. If this were to persist over a period of several years, the loss of calcium from bone could increase the risk of osteoporosis later in life. Although normal bone contains small holes, osteoporotic bones have much larger holes and have a "spongy" appearance.

"People may lose weight on this diet, but this study shows that this is not a healthy way to lose weight," said Dr. Chia-Ying Wang, a co-author of the study. "We already know that osteoporosis is going to be a major issue as the population ages and if people are going to eat this kind of diet on a long-term basis, it's unknown what the implications would be for your bones."

Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by a reduction in bone mineral density. Almost 4 out of 10 women (aged 50 or over) have osteopenia, which describes a mild bone mineral loss. Seven percent suffer from osteoporosis [18]. Women with osteoporosis are four times more likely to sustain a fracture —especially of the hip, spine, and wrist — within the next 12 months.

According to some estimates, one out of two women and one in eight men over the age of 50 will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime. In the U.S. today, 10 million people already have the disease and 18 million more have low bone mass, placing them at increased risk for osteoporosis.

Your bones are not static. They make various immune and blood cells. They also act as a "metabolic reservoir" for calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Older bone tissue is resorbed by cells called osteoclasts. New bone is formed by cells called osteoblasts. In the case of osteoporosis, the problem is that resorption gets ahead of formation, resulting in bone loss.

According to some experts, calcium lost from the bones cannot be replaced, and once osteoporosis reaches a certain stage, all you can do is prevent the condition getting worse. However, recent trials show that (in some circumstances at least) bone density can be restored [35]. But what role — if any — do low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins Diet have to play in the development of this frightening disease?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recent popularity of diets high in protein, such as the Atkins Diet, has led to fears about their effect on the strength of your bones.

eat alot of cheese and make sure you take fiber too.

Weight lifting will also help combat the bone strength loss

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dangers of the Atkins Diet
by Dr. David E. Norwood
One of the most popular diets of the late 20th Century has been the Atkins protein diet, named after its founder and guru Dr. Robert C. Atkins. With more than six million copies in print, Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution proclaims to be "the amazing no-hunger weight-loss plan that has helped millions lose weight and keep it off" (Atkins). Sounds great, but what is this diet, and is it too good to be true?

The purpose of the Atkins diet is to change your metabolism and lose weight easily by eating foods high in protein and limiting foods high in carbohydrates, which tend to raise blood sugar levels the most. The diet works on the principle of ketosis – a process by which excess, stored body fat can be burned (as well as protein), resulting in weight loss.

Dr. Atkins claims that the eating of foods high in carbohydrates causes the secretion of increased levels of insulin in the blood. The increased levels of insulin cause any excess food intake to be turned into body fat, in the form of triglycerides. Thus, if lower amounts of carbohydrates are consumed, the body naturally produces less insulin and looks to other sources for fuel, namely FAT! For this reason, the Atkins diet restricts processed and refined carbohydrates and limits intake to 15-60 grams per day, encouraging protein and fat consumption.

As compelling as it may sound, the presented information on the widely acclaimed success of the Atkins diet must be examined in terms of who presents this information and what their motivation is for presenting it. The majority of the above claims come from the Atkins' Center web page. Whether presented as a "news" press release or as an article on Dr. Atkins, the entire web page has one underlying motivation – to convince people that the Atkins diet is The Way to lose weight, so people will then go out and buy Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution.

Looking at the other side of the coin, numerous health organizations and medical professionals have sharply criticized the Atkins’ diet, both for what it does to the body and for what it does not do for the body.

According to Dr. Chris Rosenbloom of the ADA (American Dietetic Association), “You might be setting yourself up for (health) problems down the road.”

The Atkins Diet, and others like it, trigger short-term weight loss through a process called ketosis. Ketosis occurs whenever the body lacks a sufficient supply of carbohydrates, a prime source of energy. During ketosis, carbohydrate-depleted metabolisms turn to other sources, including ketones from stored fat or protein, to satisfy daily energy needs. (more of Ketosis later)

”So you do lose weight,” Rosenbloom says. “The first bit of weight loss is water weight, the carbohydrate that’s in your muscles, and then as you progress on the diet you will lose some fat, but you will also lose some muscle mass.”

Rosenbloom and the ADA believe that this type of diet can have a negative long-term impact on health. “It’s so high in cholesterol and fat and total fat -- the opposite of what all the health organizations, from the American Heart Association to the American Dietetic Association, recommend,” Rosenbloom points out. And she noted that the diet “is also low in fruits and vegetables and whole grains”-- foods with proven health benefits. While some of the vitamins and minerals in these foods can be obtained through supplements, other benefits -- like fiber or phytochemicals -- can only be found at the source.

In recent years the American Dietetic Association has become concerned with the increasing amount of misinformation on food and nutrition circulating in the U.S. The Association released a paper to inform and guide the segment of the population who may be victims of consumer misinformation. Much of this information is blatantly in contrast to the methods of weight loss heralded by Dr. Atkins.

First of all, Atkins claims that it is normal and even desirable that in the Induction phase of the diet the individual loses 5 pounds or more the first week. The American Dietetic Association, however, maintains that in order to avoid potential health hazards one should only lose 1-2 pounds per week. Pounds lost quickly on diets like Atkins are often regained because faulty habits have not been changed. Another area where the American Dietetic Association disagrees with Atkins is with fat intake. Low carbohydrate ketogenic diets (such as the Atkins’ diet) are often high in fat, which may increase cholesterol and lead to many other health risks.

The American Institute for Cancer Research has also evaluated the Atkins’ diet and their assessment is quite alarming. They say that the high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet tends to promote the loss of water weight, and that if such an imbalanced diet is maintained, the body soon reverts to the fasting state of ketosis, in which the body begins to break down muscle tissue instead of fat over the long term.

Ketosis is one of the body's last-ditch emergency responses; deliberately inducing ketosis can lead to muscle breakdown, nausea, dehydration, headaches, light-headedness, irritability, bad breath, and kidney problems. In pregnancy, ketosis may cause fetal abnormality or death. It can also be fatal in individuals with diabetes! While supporters of the Atkins diet concentrate so much on the fat burning capability of ketosis they neglect to mention that over the long term protein, and thus muscle, is also burned!

Over an extended period of time, the Atkins diet can give rise to other health risks, as well. By restricting carbohydrates, all four diets inevitably lead to a lack of fiber, which can cause constipation and other gastrointestinal difficulties. In addition, the high amounts of cholesterol and saturated fat they prescribe increase the risk of heart disease and, possibly, some cancers. There is recent evidence that a diet featuring excessive protein may leach calcium from the bones (giving rise to osteoporosis).

Finally, nothing about the Atkins diet encourages the dieter to learn some very basic weight management strategies like portion control and serving sizes, let alone develop the skills necessary for a lifetime of balanced nutrition.

I would therefore strongly advise no one to use the Atkins diet. Sure, you’ll lose weight over the short term – but at what expense to your body in the long term! Many people will tell you that this diet has worked for them. But how do they know what permanent damage has been done to their bodies which will only come to light in the future?

So what is a good, safe way to lose fat? Essentially, diets that work involve a reduction in your calorie intake and an increase in your body's energy output WITHOUT being unhealthy or dangerous. Every dietician and/or nutritionist will tell you than a diet program which reduces weight permanently and healthily involves gradual weight loss - an average of 2-3 pounds a week. This diet program must also retrain your eating habits so that you’ll not easily fall back into the behavior that made you overweight in the first place.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

The long term reprecussions of fad dieting like the Atkins is simply not known yet because no studies have been done on it.

Edit: Let me qualify that. You won't know the long term effects of Atkins dieting for several years. In effect, you are the departed Dr. Atkins focus group.

The Atkins diet...for layman's terms...convinces your body that you are starving. That isn't good for you at all.

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

The long term reprecussions of fad dieting like the Atkins is simply not known yet because no studies have been done on it.

The Atkins diet...for layman's terms...convinces your body that you are starving. That isn't good for you at all.

When I was on it last spring before I slacked I never experienced the sensation that I was ever starving. If anything I always was very full - however, I wasn't going exactly by the book with it either - I had modified it a bit and I was still experiencing weight loss. There were a few things about it that I didn't totally agree with so I did my own little version of it and it seemed to work fine for me - my big weakness is soda (Dr. Pepper and Vanilla Coke).

Shawn

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fiber is encouraged by the program. Weight lifting to counter muscle loss is also encouraged.

Chris, for some people who have troubles losing weight with other programs, this is a god send.

Don't be so quick to judge. For every Medical Journal con there is one on the pro side.

Everyone has a different make up so if it works for them, then so be it.

Alot of people aren't as fortunate as you to be blessed with good genes.

I know what my problem is - I was lazy and had poor eating habits for 5 years. But for some, genetics do in fact have a role in obesity. The Atkins can be a life saver for them. I think if this motivates people to lose weight then great.

There MAY be a chance of osteoperosis, but this is better than dropping from a heart attack or stroke at the age of 42 if nothing is done.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Originally posted by jkf296
Fiber is encouraged by the program. Weight lifting to counter muscle loss is also encouraged.

Chris, for some people who have troubles losing weight with other programs, this is a god send.

Don't be so quick to judge. For every Medical Journal con there is one on the pro side.

Everyone has a different make up so if it works for them, then so be it.

Alot of people aren't as fortunate as you to be blessed with good genes.

I know what my problem is - I was lazy and had poor eating habits for 5 years. But for some, genetics do in fact have a role in obesity. The Atkins can be a life saver for them. I think if this motivates people to lose weight then great.

There MAY be a chance of osteoperosis, but this is better than dropping from a heart attack or stroke at the age of 42 if nothing is done.

Hear here! :thumbup:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296

If you are willing to gamble your long term health for appearance, that's your business. I work at Scottsdale/Osbourn hospital and not a single health care professional that I know endorses the Atkins diet. We tell everyone...it is bad for you.

But your health is your decision. If I was desperate enough to risk my long term health...I think I would consider liposuction first.

As to the starvation comment, you need to read about Ketosis. That is what starving is. While your stomach may say full because it is all bound up from meat, cheese, and fat...your body says "oh ****, we aren't getting the sugar we need to produce the energy we need to survive" and it starts burning resources.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More just stuff I find by barely trying

Notice the comment about the public being the experiment? I found this after I said that before:

The controversial high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet is a mass experiment into public health based on "pseudo science", a leading nutritionist said yesterday.

Extreme "faddy" diets that cut out entire food groups were unbalanced, untested and could pose serious health problems, she warned.

It would be negligent to recommend the Atkins diet to anyone who was overweight, said Dr Susan Jebb, of the Medical Research Council Human Nutrition Research Centre, Cambridge.

Despite being derided by nutritionists for three decades, the Atkins diet has recently surged in popularity.

Dr Atkins's books outsell other non-fiction titles by three to one, while the diet has been endorsed by actresses Renee Zellweger, Minnie Driver, Jennifer Aniston and Catherine Zeta Jones and the singer Geri Halliwell.

Atkins disciples are allowed unlimited proteins and fat but have to cut out carbohydrates such as bread, pasta and rice.

Dr Robert Atkins, who developed the diet in the 1960s, claimed that carbohydrates overstimulate insulin production, triggering hunger and weight gain. But Dr Jebb said the diet worked only because it reduced calorie intake. Staying on it could be harmful in the long term.

Nutritionists are concerned that eating lots of protein could strain the kidneys and increase amounts of calcium excreted from the body, affecting bone growth and regeneration.

Studies have shown that people who eat most carbohydrates have less heart disease and that fibre found in carbohydrates may reduce bad cholesterol and reduce cancer risk, Dr Jebb said.

Carbohydrates were also the source of essential vitamins and plant nutrients. Eating too much fat could double a woman's risk of breast cancer.

Dr Jane Ogden, from King's College, who joined Dr Jebb at a briefing at the Royal Institution, London, said most of the benefits of the Atkins diet were in the mind. Its simple, clear rules, smattering of pseudo science and the fact that it permitted tasty, high-fat food made it popular.

But while the diet could be effective in the short term, like all diets it was usually doomed to failure, she said.

The moment the body starts losing weight, it lowers the metabolic rate to make it harder to shed further pounds. With any diet, about 60 per cent of people lose weight in the first few weeks but over the next few years 95 to 99 per cent regain all the weight they lose, and many put on even more.

"The reality of dieting is that you have to modify the behaviour that you have learned from being a baby, and that's extremely difficult," Dr Ogden said.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From WebMD

Here is the best response to date. It talks at length about the possible health reprecussions of Ketosis. It was a question posed to WebMD (Medical Doctor) on MSN.

Question:
What do you think of the Atkins diet?

Answer:
Having seen what a powerful difference changes in diet and lifestyle can make, it makes me want to pull out what's left of my hair when I see the renewed interest in high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets. These diets are hazardous to your health. They were first popularized by an undertaker in the 1800s -- maybe he needed more business.

Telling people that pork rinds and sausage are good for you is a great way to sell books, but it is irresponsible and dangerous for those who follow their advice. I would like to be able to tell you that these are health foods, but they're not. Fortunately, there is a way to safely lose even more weight while eating great foods in abundance.

Here's the real skinny on fat:

There is a large body of scientific evidence from epidemiological studies, animal research, and randomized controlled trials in humans showing that high-protein foods, particularly excessive animal protein, dramatically increase the risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, and many other illnesses. In the short run, they may also cause kidney problems, loss of calcium in the bones, and an unhealthy metabolic state called ketosis in many people. The American Dietetic Association recently condemned high-protein diets as being dangerous, "a nightmare of a diet."

In contrast, whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans contain literally thousands of other substances that are protective, having anti-aging, anti-cancer, and anti-heart disease properties. These include fiber, isoflavones, carotenoids, bioflavonoids, retinols, lycopene, geninstein, on and on.

However, most people don't really think anything bad will ever happen to them. They think prevention is borrrrr-ing: "I don't care if I die sooner, I want to enjoy my life."

So do I. But how much fun are you having if you're feeling tired, lethargic, and impotent? Or dead?

When you go on a high-protein diet, you may get less blood flow to your most important organs. When you get less blood flow to your brain, you may feel more tired and you think less clearly. (Think about a time when you had a rich Thanksgiving feast, and how you felt afterwards.) When you get less blood flow to your heart, you increase your risk of chest pain or a heart attack. And when you get less blood flow to your sexual organs, your sexual prowess decreases.

When I was in medical school, we were taught that most impotence began in your brain -- psychological. We now know it usually begins in your arteries -- physiological. The reason that Viagra is one of the best-selling drugs of all time is that so many people need it. Impotence, also called "erectile dysfunction," is a silent epidemic, present in at least one-half of men over the age of 40. But did you know you're much more likely to be impotent if your cholesterol level is elevated? Knowing this is a lot more motivating for many men than telling them they're going to live to be 86 instead of 85 -- even when they're 85!

Not to mention bad breath and body odor. Your body excretes toxic substances like excessive amounts of meat in your breath, perspiration, and bowels. When you eat a lot of meat, it takes a long time for it to make its way through your digestive tract. As it putrefies and decays, your breath smells bad, your sweat smells bad, and your bowels smell bad. Not very attractive. You may want to lose weight to attract people to you, but when they get too close, it becomes counterproductive.

Yet many people do lose weight on high-protein diets, and cholesterol levels may even decrease. How can this be?

The important distinction to make is between simple carbohydrates and whole foods, also called complex carbohydrates. The dangerous half-truth is this: simple carbohydrates cause you to gain weight, but complex carbohydrates help you lose weight. The goal is not to switch from simple carbohydrates to a diet consisting mainly of high-protein foods like meat but from simple carbohydrates to whole foods, while reducing your intake of high-protein animal foods.

Simple carbohydrates -- sugar and other concentrated sweeteners, and alcohol, which your body converts to sugar -- are absorbed quickly, causing your blood sugar to rapidly increase. White flour (including foods like white flour pasta) and white rice are also absorbed quickly, because the fiber and bran have been removed. In response, your body secretes insulin to lower your blood sugar levels to normal. However, chronically elevated insulin levels also accelerate the conversion of calories into fat, raise your cholesterol level, and have other harmful effects. Over time, like the boy who cried "wolf," the insulin receptors say, "Oh, not more insulin!" and become less sensitive to its effects, causing your body to secrete even more insulin in a vicious cycle.

The high-protein authors advise us to avoid all carbohydrates and eat high-protein foods because these are less likely to provoke an insulin response. This is not smart.

Whole foods (complex carbohydrates) -- such as whole wheat, brown rice, and fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, and soy products in their natural form -- are rich in fiber, which slows their absorption. Because they are absorbed slowly, your blood sugar does not spike and so your body does not need to produce elevated levels of insulin. Instead of the rapid swings in blood sugar, you experience a more constant feeling of energy throughout the day. You become more sensitive to insulin rather than resistant to it; diabetics often are able to reduce or discontinue insulin under their doctor's supervision when they eat a low-fat, whole foods diet. Even white flour pasta is OK in moderation if you eat it with lots of veggies or legumes on top, as the fiber from these foods will slow their absorption. A recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association clearly documented that high-fiber diets lower insulin levels. In contrast, meat has virtually no dietary fiber.

So why do some people lose weight on the high protein diets? Most people in this country eat a lot of simple carbohydrates. A recent study showed that one-third of the vegetables eaten in the United States are either French fries or potato chips. And consumption of sugar, white flour, and processed foods has increased significantly in the past two decades, along with obesity. Eating a lot of meat instead of all those simple carbohydrates will help lower their insulin response, causing them to lose weight. But they're mortgaging their health in the process.

There is a better way. If you switch from simple carbohydrates to a whole-foods, low-fat, plant-based diet, then you don't provoke an insulin response -- so you get the insulin benefit similar to being on a diet high in animal protein without the many harmful effects. Also, you are eating whole foods that are much lower in fat and cholesterol, so you lose even more weight than on a high-protein diet and your cholesterol levels come down even further. In our studies, for example, we found a 40% average reduction in LDL-cholesterol without using drugs. And you're getting thousands of substances that are protective rather than harmful.

You can lose weight on just about any diet. Keeping it off is a lot harder. A few years ago, the government reviewed all of the different weight loss plans. They found that two-thirds of people gained back all of the weight they'd lost within a year, and 97% gained it all back within five years.

However, we found in our research that the average person lost 24 pounds in the first year and kept off more than half that weight five years later, even though they were eating more food, and more frequently, than before. Without hunger or deprivation. Simply. Safely. Easily. They not only felt better, they were better. We also found that they had even more reversal of heart disease after five years than after one year, and 2.5 times fewer cardiac events such as heart attack, stroke, bypass surgery, and angioplasty. The more closely people followed the program, the better they were. Clearly, if you can reverse heart disease by eating this way, then you can help prevent it.

Most weight-loss plans are based on deprivation: counting calories, restricting portion sizes, and eating less food. Sooner or later, people get tired of feeling hungry, so they get off the diet, regain the weight, and usually blame themselves for not having enough discipline, willpower, or motivation, when the real problem is that they were going about it in the wrong way.

Here's a better way: if you change the type of food, you don't have to reduce the amount of food. Fat has nine calories per gram, whereas protein and carbohydrates have only four calories per gram. So if you go from a 40% fat diet to a 10% fat diet, even if you eat the same amount of food, you consume far fewer calories. You feel better and you become healthier. You really can eat more and weigh less if you know what to eat.

In short, when you switch from a diet based on animal protein and simple carbohydrates to a whole foods, plant-based diet, you get a quadruple benefit:

the high fiber content of fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans reduces insulin levels, so you lose weight and lower cholesterol levels;
when you eat less fat, you eat fewer calories without eating less food;
you avoid the animal-based products rich in substances that cause illnesses;
you get thousands of other substances that are protective.
To the best of my knowledge, none of the high-protein diet authors have ever published any studies in any peer-reviewed journals documenting that their approach can help people lose weight safely and keep it off. In contrast, my colleagues and I at the nonprofit Preventive Medicine Research Institute have published our findings in the Journal of the American Medical Association and other well-respected peer-reviewed journals. Part of the value of science is to help you sort out conflicting claims, to distinguish fact from fancy, what sounds good from what is real. I'm not trying to tell you what to eat; just to provide scientifically based information so that you can make more informed and intelligent choices.

If you eat a low-fat diet based on whole foods, you are likely to lose even more weight than on a high-protein diet, your cholesterol levels may come down even more, and you will feel better, look better, love better, taste better, and smell better. It's not all or nothing -- the more you move in this direction, the more benefits you receive. And you will significantly reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses rather than increasing it. You can lose weight and gain health.

© 2001 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am in to lose 8 more pounds. I stopped running and just do about 80-100 sit ups a day now so I have leveled off like I said.

I would like to drop fully back to a 32" waist though and I think I will make that at 175.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: From WebMD

However, most people don't really think anything bad will ever happen to them. They think prevention is borrrrr-ing: "I don't care if I die sooner, I want to enjoy my life."

So do I. But how much fun are you having if you're feeling tired, lethargic, and impotent? Or dead?

When you go on a high-protein diet, you may get less blood flow to your most important organs. When you get less blood flow to your brain, you may feel more tired and you think less clearly. (Think about a time when you had a rich Thanksgiving feast, and how you felt afterwards.) When you get less blood flow to your heart, you increase your risk of chest pain or a heart attack. And when you get less blood flow to your sexual organs, your sexual prowess decreases.

When I was in medical school, we were taught that most impotence began in your brain -- psychological. We now know it usually begins in your arteries -- physiological. The reason that Viagra is one of the best-selling drugs of all time is that so many people need it. Impotence, also called "erectile dysfunction," is a silent epidemic, present in at least one-half of men over the age of 40. But did you know you're much more likely to be impotent if your cholesterol level is elevated? Knowing this is a lot more motivating for many men than telling them they're going to live to be 86 instead of 85 -- even when they're 85!

Not to mention bad breath and body odor. Your body excretes toxic substances like excessive amounts of meat in your breath, perspiration, and bowels. When you eat a lot of meat, it takes a long time for it to make its way through your digestive tract. As it putrefies and decays, your breath smells bad, your sweat smells bad, and your bowels smell bad. Not very attractive. You may want to lose weight to attract people to you, but when they get too close, it becomes counterproductive.

© 2001 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

Ugh...have fun Atkinsing

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: From WebMD

Ugh...have fun Atkinsing

Whatever...I did Atkins for months, and if anything, I noticed my "bowel movements" became more regulated and less "troublesome"...as in not so "odorific" or whatever.

I liked being on it...less stomach aches, less digestive issues...everything was much better for me when I was on the diet.

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's funny about this is that my roommate is on the Atkins diet despite what I have warned him about.

I have noticed he has some RAUNCHY gas lately. I had no idea it was related to the Atkins diet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: From WebMD

Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Whatever...I did Atkins for months, and if anything, I noticed my "bowel movements" became more regulated and less "troublesome"...as in not so "odorific" or whatever.

I liked being on it...less stomach aches, less digestive issues...everything was much better for me when I was on the diet.

Mike

Were you taking fiber pills?

Basically the question is, I know the Atkins diet has you take all these pills to try to compensate for what you are doing to your body.

If you were giving yourself fiber and you weren't before...that would explain that.

And Mike, like I said...you can ignore the outcry from the medical field against the diet and that is fine.

As someone who considers you a friend, I will hope that we are wrong :)

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: From WebMD

Were you taking fiber pills?

Basically the question is, I know the Atkins diet has you take all these pills to try to compensate for what you are doing to your body.

If you were giving yourself fiber and you weren't before...that would explain that.

Weird - I never took any pills while on the diet.

Shawn

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard